to rent or to ship bike to Moab - worth the hassle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

to rent or to ship bike to Moab - worth the hassle?

Folks:

I'm planning my first Moab MTB adventure this fall. I am by no means an expert biker and will probably not ride trails beyond intermediate level, but I've grown quite used to my own setup.

Just a poll on how many of you would rather go through the hassle and expense of shipping your machines out there (mine is hardtail) vs renting one locally (probably fs). Thanks for your feedback or tips.!

alien exchange student

My two cents

Howdy, here are a couple of perspectives.

Financially, shipping your bike is going to cost at least $60 each way (and possibly more). A rental is going to run around $40+ per day. There may be weekly rates available at some shops but even without that, your breakeven is 3 days of riding. That doesn't include the hassle of boxing/reboxing your bike or the fact that you might be more comfortable on the Moab terrain with a FS rig.

If you have ever wanted to try a specific bike, now is your chance. If you check with the shops (there are 5), you should be able to find someone who rents a bike you've wanted to give a spin. It really is a good way to check out a bike in some terrain that really lets them shine (or not).

How unique is "your own setup"? I have been riding in Moab for years and it has honestly changed the way I set up a bike. I now worry less about weight, ride bigger tires, a more upright position (with shorter stem) and wider bars. Even on East Coast dirt/rock trails I find this set up makes me a more confident rider. It does suck getting the bars stuck between trees though - it honestly has happened more than once. I swore (10 years ago) that I'd never buy a full suspension bike. Then I rode one that was really well designed and manufactured.

Anyway, I say simplify and rent. In any case, have fun in Moab. If you time it up in the fall, Outerbike will be going on and you can demo bikes from multiple companies.

Cheers!

Mel

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What Mel said !

Desert Seeker
    I like to ship my personal bike when I go. I have a Trico hard shell case and I send it to the place where I am staying. It can take longer than usual to reach Moab so give it plenty of time.

Having said that, I personally would not ride a hard tail out there. Full suspension rules on Moab's hard, ledgy terrain. But that is just me. Either way, have fun!

Greg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    RENT! save the hassle and ride a new type of bike
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    good info here - much appreciated. you'd figure that someone who travels for work and gets to drive a different (rental) car almost every week or two would have had some insight about the advantages of sampling new wheels on rugged terrain.

I think the piece of feedback that convinced me was the need for full suspension in that part of the world. thanks again

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Two friends and I are visiting Moab (and Fruita and Cortez) September 25 - October 1. The Outerbike idea kicked this off, but there's a commitment which conflicts and prevents more than a day's worth of Outerbike experience.

That said, we're torn between shipping and renting. My bike (an EX 8) seems well-suited to the area and has lots of upgrades (wider bar, 70mm stem, shifters, brakes, Gravity Dropper, and Mavic/Hadley wheels) to which I am very partial. We like the idea of trying out new bikes (Remedy and 575), but it's akin to hunting with a friend's gun; still enjoyable, but somehow less satisfying.

We are hyped, and any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rented in Moab. I just walked in and had limited selection as a lot of bikes were out. I got a really good bike however it was the only one still available. You may want to call in advance to reserve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, Woozle. I've reserved a Remedy for two days and a 575 for three. We are fired up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sweet,
    Nice rides, both. I ride a 575 back east. Moab is epic!

Members who have read this thread: 1