Red Canyon/Thunder Mtn Conditons- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Red Canyon/Thunder Mtn Conditons

Planing a trip in a couple of weeks, had anyone riden there latetly???

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Haven't been yet. But if we can dodge anymore heavy snowstorms, I think Thunder Mountain will be snow-free much earlier than usual.

The three closest Snotel stations (Long Valley Junction, Harris Flat, and Agua Canyon) are all reporting el zilcho for snow depth. That last station is only about 11 miles away to the south and is at a higher elevation than the top of Thunder - so things are looking good.

I would imagine that at least some drifts are still present in the numerous hollows that you snake in and out of near the top.

mtbr member
    Looking at some TM pictures it appears that the type of soil/gravel/sandy will hold up good even in wet conditions or snow?

This is great news,, thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by bajamtnbkr; 03-26-2007 at 09:47 PM.

pvryder
    Thunder Mtn. is a mess when it's wet. The red mud sticks to everything, and you'll trash the trail. It dries out fast though so just wait til it's dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

watch the weather

It looks like theyre getting some snow up there now...

mtbr member
    Yeah, it looks like a 10th of an inch so far, I really want to ride there in about 10 days, I will keep my fingers crossed

mtbr member
    funny how Ullr can drop 27" at Brian Head in the past 48 hours and basically zilch across the valley at Bryce. Although it is lightly snowing there atm.

mtbr member
    Is looking good!!! Will be going to Hurricane on Saturday, want to ride the Goose but on monday will be Thunder Mountain!!!! Anyone been there this week? Conditions???

mtbr member
    Maybe call up there to the Red Canyon ranger station along hwy 12. (435) 676-2676 or the District office in Panguitch (435) 676-8815.

Bryce didn't get hardly any of the snow Brian Head did last week so after this warm week it's probably fine. It's at least a month early but the snowpack in general for that part of the world is 50% of normal this year. The bit in the trees at the top might be still be holding snow.

mtbr member

I meant to say...

snowpack is LESS than 50% of normal http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/notice/snowpack.html

Feb 2007
    I was in Panguitch yesterday. Didn't ride, but drove up Red Canyon. There is still patches of snow in the shady areas and for the most part the trail is too wet to ride. I would expect it will be open about the first of May. Even a couple of riders could ruin the trail by riding in the mud.

Members who have read this thread: 0