Red Canyon/Brian Head trip questions- Mtbr.com
    Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Red Canyon/Brian Head trip questions

Hey S. Utah people,

Planning a trip down from Colorado to Red Canyon & Brian Head area in the next couple of weeks. Been thru the http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ info and thru back posts here. Biggest problem seems to be TOO many choices to ride! Did have a couple of questions for those who are familiar with the area.

Red Canyon -
    Any recommendations on the DIRECTION of a Cassidy/Casto/Losee loop? Up or down Cassidy?

Brian Head - (Only have one vehicle out there, so lots on NON-shuttle questions)
    If you did not want to buy a shuttle ride, is it reasonable to ride a loop on Baker Creek (Down Left, up Right?) from Brain head? No issue with climbing at altitude (coming from Colorado..) just not sure want to go thru a shuttle on Baker Creek & go down the 2 track so far...

Is a non-shuttle loop on Blowhard reasonable? LOTS of climbing on the road it looks like...

Recommendation on Virgin River Rim, non-shuttle. East end seems to be the recommended side, Recommendations on the "easiest" TH & access for a loop?

Is it worthwhile to jump a single lift ride on Brian head to access the top to start some kind of Sidney peak/Lowder/Upper Dark Hollow/Scout camp loop?

Any thing we NEED to ride not mentioned?

Thanks for any input, looking forward to coming out!

No, that's not phonetic
    When I ride Casto/Cassidy/Losee I like to start at the bottom of Red Canyon, ride the dirt road north to the mouth of Casto, up Casto to the Cassidy trail, along the length of Cassidy to Red Canyon, and down the bike path to the start. Alternately you could ride up Casto and come down Losee. I've done this too. There are a lot of pretty short, loose, burtal climbs anywhich way you go, and the altitude will kick you in the nutz. Be ready.

A firmer kick in the nutz is the Virgin River Rim trail. I have to admit that I did not think that trail was much fun. A significant part of it follows the Great Western ATV track and so it is sort of chewed up double track. The rest is steep up and down in the woods and there are not enough views to keep me really interested. I rode from Strawberry Point to Navajo Lake and back. I would not be in a hurry to do that again, especially on a 7" travel 36# freeride bike.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think the VRR is sweet

The climbing is stiff, but rideable. But I ride a 23 lb Racer X so thats alot different from a 35 pound sherman tank.

I would forget about riding blowhard without a shuttle. You will be doing like 20 min on a trail and an hour on a narrow scary road. The scout camp loop is a pretty good mix of climbing and desending.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I have to admit that I did not think that trail was much fun. A significant part of it follows the Great Western ATV track and so it is sort of chewed up double track. The rest is steep up and down in the woods and there are not enough views to keep me really interested. I rode from Strawberry Point to Navajo Lake and back. I would not be in a hurry to do that again, especially on a 7" travel 36# freeride bike.
    The Virgin River Rim Trail is not part of the Great Western ATV track. The entire trail is closed to ATV's (and we all know how well they read). Unfortunately Iron County and the Cedar City Council are trying to pressure the USFS into opening the trail up so the ATV's can legally rape it.

As far as Casto/Cassidy/Losee, Casto is open to ATV's and is ridden very hard all summer. I like to start like tscheezy mentioned, then when I hit the big path ride up to the top of Thunder Mountain, then ride it to the bottom, then a short ride back up the bike trail to the Visitor's Center.

We have a local's ride called the "Q" loop. Start at mile marker 9 on SR 14 (bottom of Blowhard), ride or push your bike up the trail (short push), ride the Blowhard trail to where the dirt road intersects. Turn right on road, ride to SR14. Ride up SR14 to Woods Ranch. Ride up the VRRT to either Webster's Flat road or to Deep Creek road. Ride out to SR14, turn left, ride down SR14 to Crystal Springs road. Up Crystal Springs to the lower half of Blowhard, back down Blowhard to vehicle. The only ridiculously silly climb is the first 1/8th of a mile at the very start. The others are nicely spread out, and there is minimal time spent on the Highway.

What day are we riding?
    I parked at the bottom of Cassidy, rode up to Losee, down Losee to the bottom, dirt road to Castro, up Castro and then back across and down Cassidy. Ended up being 23 miles, 2400 feet of climbing. Did that first thing in the morning then went and rode Thunder Mountain.

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Be heading out there around the weekend of the 15th. Only problem I see is we don't have NEARLY enough days there... Damn job-thing.

Members who have read this thread: 0