Recommended Rides in Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommended Rides in Moab?

Hello,

I am going to be in Moab for a week starting this Friday Night (4/11) and am looking for ride recommendations and/or someone to ride with. I am an advanced rider (skill wise), but not totally crazy. I will go on anything but might walk some sections if I find them ridiculous. If you check my website you can see the types of rides I have done.

Thanks in advance,

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Did you see the 16 pages of discussion in the "Moab Trip Planner" sticky right above this thread?
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Joe...go check out the forums at MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps and under the Bike & Gear Discussion, check out the "1st time to Moab" question that I posted...tons of great advice on there, naming specific trails, restaurants, etc and the info is current

mtbr member

Thanks for the advice ... anyone want to ride?

Did you see the 16 pages of discussion in the "Moab Trip Planner" sticky right above this thread?
    Dear dirty,

Yes, I did look at those. However they were posted back in 2007 and I have heard the people of Moab have built several new trails lately (I last visited Moab in 2010).

Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I live in Ohio and I just went out there for four days. I would recommend the Mag 7 trail system. It has some really fun well marked short loops. We also did porcupine rim..climbed up and blasted down. Another good one we did was Amasa back, captain Ahab, portal trail and slickrock. These were all the recommended trails by my friend that lives in Colorado and some local riders

mtbr member
    Just returned from a weekend trip to Moab and we picked the new Hymassa Back and Captain Ahab trails in the Amassa Back system and the top half of the Magnificent 7 to go with the old favorites of Slick Rock and Porcupine (UPS down was open and riding great).

The best part of the Amassa Back trails is that there is something for everyone, take Hymassa up the hill and it is an easier drop in from the road and climb up from the creek, then once you get up to the top, you can choose to take the technical Captain Ahab down, the rock ledge fun of the jeep road, or the easier flow of Hymassa back down.

The Magnificent 7 is a great ride as well, it is a little tricky trying to decide where you want to pull out of it though, but if you use a shuttle service they have great directions.
    Josh

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Do the Dead Horse Point Tour for a visually spectacular ride, that is quite easy on the body (use it as a take-it-easy ride).

pedlr
    Joe,
    You probably know that this is the beginning of Jeep Safari...
    Not a bad time to come to moab to ride, but a somewhat different experience than many other weeks.
    The local trail crew has opened a stunning and wonderful amount of single track since 2010. The latest, Chilkoot pass, a connector trail just opened this Monday, and the week before, Miner's Loop, a short techy fun classic moab single track trail opened. All the other trails can be found on utahmountainbiking.com, an excellent site, as I'm sure you know.
    Two more complete areas, Navajo Rocks and Klonzo South are opening soon.
    I think Hymasa , amassa, Ahab are must do's, and Mag 7.
    I'll be around this weekend and next week, the kids are on spring break in Moab, also. PM me and we'll do a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moabman View Post
    Joe,
    You probably know that this is the beginning of Jeep Safari...
    Not a bad time to come to moab to ride, but a somewhat different experience than many other weeks.
    The local trail crew has opened a stunning and wonderful amount of single track since 2010. The latest, Chilkoot pass, a connector trail just opened this Monday, and the week before, Miner's Loop, a short techy fun classic moab single track trail opened. All the other trails can be found on utahmountainbiking.com, an excellent site, as I'm sure you know.
    Two more complete areas, Navajo Rocks and Klonzo South are opening soon.
    I think Hymasa , amassa, Ahab are must do's, and Mag 7.
    I'll be around this weekend and next week, the kids are on spring break in Moab, also. PM me and we'll do a ride.
    Can you give some more detail on Chilkoot Pass and Miner's Loop? Where are these trails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Chilkoot and Miner's are a couple new, rather short additions to the Klondike system.

https://www.discovermoab.com/images/mb/Klondike-N1.jpg

pedlr
    Quote Originally Posted by senorjax View Post
    Chilkoot and Miner's are a couple new, rather short additions to the Klondike system.

https://www.discovermoab.com/images/mb/Klondike-N1.jpg

Right, definitely not destinations in and of themselves. We rode Miner's Loop in both directions and thought it was a nice addition to Klondike system. Soon to be connected to Babysteps South with a new trail.

Chilkoot would be good for a family ride or maybe a person riding a mountain bike for the first time.

Your Best Friend
    Chilkoot Pass was built over 2 days time by the Moab trail crew and a large group from the Utah High School Cycling League. It was fun to have a part in it
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Recommended Rides in Moab?-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Chilkoot Pass was built over 2 days time by the Moab trail crew and a large group from the Utah High School Cycling League. It was fun to have a part in it
    Here we are!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You folks are amazing. I just returned from Moab for the first time in ten years. Wow, what a great trail system! Ahab and Mag 7 to Portal were absolutely captivating. The climb up Hymassa created a completely new experience as well. I had never ridden UPS either... we always rode from Negro Bill and dropped in at the water trough. This is a destination to place back at the top due to the incredible quality and amount of trail that has been built in the last ten years. The "Blue Line" was the most dynamic trail that I have ever ridden. Whoever built that is a master of trail design and visualization. The old route up Golden Spike is now a distant memory for me. Thank you Moab... I could not have enjoyed the time on the bike anymore than I did.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What is the "Blue Line"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

updated data base

I would also like to buy a case(or keg)of Oregon beer for the people who built this. Finally a reason for all the suspension found on mtb's these days. I did miss the old entrance to Portal though... that little rock wall slide in. Love the jeeps with hand outs of nearly frozen water bottles!!! I should know better, oops.
    Last edited by poppa#1; 04-20-2014 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Golden Spike Mountain Bike Trail, Moab, UT

should be one of these....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Interesting...
    Last edited by poppa#1; 04-20-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: mmmm