Recommendations on Utah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommendations on Utah

So I'm coming to Utah April 18-24 and will have two days 18,19,20 to ride before friends get into salt lake to go to Moab.

So I'm trying to figure out where to ride 18-20. I was thinking of heading down to St GEorges, but the distance of 5 hours is pretty long. Do you guys recommend St George's this time of year or elsewhere?

And if you recommend St Georges what should I not miss out there? I can ride fairly techincal things, and am in decent shape.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

Your Best Friend
    St. George is excellent that time of year. It is also NOT 5 hours away. Closer to 4. If you have the time and the desire to drive there, it is worth it. However, the SL area has some pretty good riding at the lower elevations that time of year if you don't want to do the driving.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Nothing but time I think I'll head down to St George.

So what should I defnitiely not miss at St george? Goose berry mesa I hear is good, I looked at this website http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-st-g.htm

Somebody posted something last spring was it thunder mountain (or something like that). I did try a quick forum search and wasn't super succesful.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

I'd rather be biking...
    If your going to have two full days to ride I would suggest riding hurricane one day and riding STG the next. Between little creek mesa and Gooseberry mesa there are over 40 miles of different loops to combine and it's such unique riding you would be silly to skip a little loop on either mesa. Over the edge bike shop in hurricane can help you with maps and info (little creek is tough to navigate if you havent been out that way before since its not fully marked yet.)
    Second Day I would head over to STG and Hit up Zen, Barrels, and Barrel Roll and/or rim rock trail right next to it. If your still craving some goodness, you can loop Icehouse trail north of town, That would be the icing on the cake for sure. If your short on time I would concentrate on the first few options since Icehouse is a longer loop but has such an awesome descent. Skip paradise and church rocks since your be heading to Moab and those trails are very similar terrain and riding.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What he said!

Gooseberry one day (you can do 25+ miles up there...) and then some stuff over on the west side of St George on day 2.. there is plent of sweet riding and that is a pretty good time of year to be here,
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0