Recommend some areas in southern Utah- Mtbr.com
    Five is right out
    Sep 2006

Recommend some areas in southern Utah

Here's the story: I'll be in southern Utah next week for a road/hiking trip. I'm going with a friend who doesn't ride, so I'm not bringing a bike nor do I foresee making it up to Moab.

Still, it's Utah, and it'd be silly not to hire a bike for a day and go out riding. Can anyone suggest some areas (probably around Zion/Bryce) in the south where I'd be able to hire a good bike and find some great trails to head out on?

Thanks.

NMBP
    Best areas for rentals will be St George, Cedar City, and Brianhead. For trail info go to: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Hey- great link! Everything I need is there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    It might help to know where you're staying seeing as how So. Utah covers a pretty broad area. My favorite trails in southern Utah are Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek Mesa, Barrel Trail, the JEM/Hurricane/Goulds Loop, and Broken Mesa. You can rent bikes in St. George at Desert Cycles (435) 674-2929. If you make it to the Bryce area definitely do the Thunder Mountain/Cassidy/Casto/Losee Loop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd hit up Little Creek Mesa and Gooseberry. Both are really fun rides. Little Creek is a bit harder to find the trail on, but its not to bad, just as long as you don't end up out there after dark(been there, done that, not to cool). JEM is also a good ride, And its right off of the highway too, so you don't have to beat your car up getting to it.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Thanks guys. I'm in St George at the moment, a bit too jetlagged to be fully functional I did rent a bike and go for a quick spin around Prospector/Church Rocks but man, it's pretty hot here. I had to keep stopping to look for shade.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quick shop update for people visiting the area:

Red Rock Bicycle
    . These guys were great- really friendly, laid back and easy to talk to. I spent a while watching biking videos on their computer. Lots of interesting, high end gear and they gave me a good deal on some hard-to-find stuff. Great area advice. Unfortunately they don't rent bikes out anymore.

Bicycles Unlimited. Big thumbs down They way overcharged me for a half day rental (I checked their website afterwards- they gave me a hardtail for half a day, charged me the full day rate for a full susser). Not much in the way of gear- mainly lower end stuff. They were okay to talk to, but being ripped off is never a good experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Ascend!

Head up to Gooseberry it will be 15 degrees cooler and probably have a nice breeze...

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    There will be another Over the Edge Sports opening in Hurricane in the coming months....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    i second the motion about riding in the red canyon area if you get out to Bryce, thunder mtn or better yet imho the Cassidy lossee Casto loop or just an out n back on Cassidy just up the road on the same side as the red canyon visitor's center. the only issue out there is lack of bike rental. there may be something at Ruby's Inn just outside of Bryce, its worth checking out, really awsome riding and views.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    There will be another Over the Edge Sports opening in Hurricane in the coming months....
    Really?!? That's an interesting move. Why Hurricane over St. George?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Really?!? That's an interesting move. Why Hurricane over St. George?
    One reason might be that Hurricane is closer to the best Southwest Utah rides, Goose, Little Creek, JEM, Goulds, Rim trail, Guacamole, Slick Rock Swamp.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    I think the main reason is that there are no shops in hurricane and there are at least three in St George. Hurricane is actually rather similar to Fruita and they may be looking to repeat what they did there

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    I think the main reason is that there are no shops in hurricane and there are at least three in St George. Hurricane is actually rather similar to Fruita and they may be looking to repeat what they did there
    Actually, Hurricane does have a shop, although its small. Its right by the cell phone store by the Elementary School.

Members who have read this thread: 0