Is It Really True????????????????- Mtbr.com
    banned

Is It Really True????????????????

There is a rumour or possibly correct intel that the Green Dot Trail is on its way to final approval. If you haven't ridden this trail you are in for a real treat. Throw it into a trail mix that will definitely test your biking fitness.

Green Dot to Gemini Bridges to the Green Dot Connector to Gold Bar Rim to the Portal and you have almost a thirty mile epic that most will love and some will never ride again.

I have done that ride (before it was illegal) with some who said it was FANTASTIC and others on the ride said it was the worst F.....G ride they have ever done. What do you think your response will be?

If you are a fit technical rider you will love this ride.

TD

frejwilk

Green Dot aka Mag 7

traildoc,

Yes. (Most of) what you have heard is true!

Most of what is known as Green Dot was approved by the Moab BLM recently as part of the Magnificent 7 trail system. There are likely a few spots of Mag 7 you'll find to be different than what you might have known as Green Dot. Mostly in the first mile and a half of the route due to sensitive desert bighorn sheep habitat. The good news is that another nearby canyon will be used for the start of the route - including passing near a couple of canyon-rim arches!

Depending on what you're thinking of as the 'Green Dot Connector' to Gold Bar Rim, some of it is approved as well. Mag 7 will climb (newly designated trail) to the 'bride overlook' before rejoining the Gold Bar road. Whether that is good, bad, or 'half-bad' - I don't know. What I do know is that you're right that the route down along Bull Canyon is truly spectacular riding that everyone can now enjoy! And what is approved climbing toward Gold Bar is also awesome.

Riders should be aware that although the proposal has been approved, there will still be some time before an 'open' designated route is available. Hopefully that will be this spring.

I totally agree that people will be very psyched to add this route to their Moab itinerary... At least in my opinion, this is truly classic Moab terrain and scenery.

FW

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    traildoc,

Yes. (Most of) what you have heard is true!

Most of what is known as Green Dot was approved by the Moab BLM recently as part of the Magnificent 7 trail system. There are likely a few spots of Mag 7 you'll find to be different than what you might have known as Green Dot. Mostly in the first mile and a half of the route due to sensitive desert bighorn sheep habitat. The good news is that another nearby canyon will be used for the start of the route - including passing near a couple of canyon-rim arches!

Depending on what you're thinking of as the 'Green Dot Connector' to Gold Bar Rim, some of it is approved as well. Mag 7 will climb (newly designated trail) to the 'bride overlook' before rejoining the Gold Bar road. Whether that is good, bad, or 'half-bad' - I don't know. What I do know is that you're right that the route down along Bull Canyon is truly spectacular riding that everyone can now enjoy! And what is approved climbing toward Gold Bar is also awesome.

Riders should be aware that although the proposal has been approved, there will still be some time before an 'open' designated route is available. Hopefully that will be this spring.

I totally agree that people will be very psyched to add this route to their Moab itinerary... At least in my opinion, this is truly classic Moab terrain and scenery.

FW
    fw:

I am curious how the new alignments are going to be marked to keep the riders on the new route. Like Gooseberry Mesa there is a lot of slickrock to get of track. A select group of locals have complianed that the green dots were an enviromental disaster and I was wondering what new trail marking system has been approved.

The Geen Dot Connector to the Gold Bar Rim trail was a maybe two mile + section of trail that took you from the Gemini Bridges Jeep Road over to the beginning of the Gold Bar Rim Jeep Road. It bypassed the steep rubbly descent and the sandy section over to the beginning of the Gold Bar Rim Jeep Road with a really cool slickrock mostly descending connector trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is It Really True????????????????-connector-close-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've been following the development of this M7 trail since FW gaves us the heads up three or four months ago asking for letters in support, etc. Should be a great addition to the legal Moab trail inventory. I'm really excited to ride it.

As far as how to mark the slick rock sections I vote not to use the continuous red line ala' Rockstacker. I think that distracts more from the ride then an occasional dot.

Someone implied that the Gold Bar singletrack up along the rim (Dot) was included in this approval but it was my understanding from the original proposal that it wasn't. Is that true?
    Last edited by KRob; 03-03-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

frejwilk
    traildoc,

Yes, that connector section is included as well as a section on the north side of Gemini Bridges rd taking riders from just below the bridges right to that Metal Masher intersection where the 'connector' starts. These two sections are known as 'Arth's Corner' and 'Little Canyon Singletrack' as part of the Mag 7 system.

KRob,

You're right - no sections of blue dot across Gold Bar Rim were included or approved as part of Mag 7. There is some slickrock / singletrack approved climbing toward Gold Bar from the end of that 'Little Canyon Singletrack' section. It climbs up to an overlook of a rock tower known as ;the Bride'. This small section has been historically marked with blue paint and I think that has caused some confusion for folks with the route across the rim. I was confused that traildoc was referring to that as the Gold Bar connector.

As far as marking, I'm not sure what method will be used. There will surely be some form of painted trail marking. Signs and natural lining will likely be used too. The BLM definitely wants new trails in Moab marked well. Different techniques are chosen more on the basis of the terrain that they are marking than any sort of uniform code.

There always seems to be opponents and proponents to lines vs dots or cairns vs paint, or any kind of trail marking at all. I'm pretty sure that the views along upper Bull canyon will more than ease anyone's visual pain of paint on the rock!

FW

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    traildoc,

Yes, that connector section is included as well as a section on the north side of Gemini Bridges rd taking riders from just below the bridges right to that Metal Masher intersection where the 'connector' starts. These two sections are known as 'Arth's Corner' and 'Little Canyon Singletrack' as part of the Mag 7 system.

KRob,

You're right - no sections of blue dot across Gold Bar Rim were included or approved as part of Mag 7. There is some slickrock / singletrack approved climbing toward Gold Bar from the end of that 'Little Canyon Singletrack' section. It climbs up to an overlook of a rock tower known as ;the Bride'. This small section has been historically marked with blue paint and I think that has caused some confusion for folks with the route across the rim. I was confused that traildoc was referring to that as the Gold Bar connector.

As far as marking, I'm not sure what method will be used. There will surely be some form of painted trail marking. Signs and natural lining will likely be used too. The BLM definitely wants new trails in Moab marked well. Different techniques are chosen more on the basis of the terrain that they are marking than any sort of uniform code.

There always seems to be opponents and proponents to lines vs dots or cairns vs paint, or any kind of trail marking at all. I'm pretty sure that the views along upper Bull canyon will more than ease anyone's visual pain of paint on the rock!

FW
    FW:

I am assuming my Google Earth jpeg. indicates the trail to the north of the Gemini Bridges Jeep Road. Not sure if the starting poing is correct, but the termination on the Metal Masher/Little Cayon Jeep Road is correct.

This route will definitly bring a lot of riders to Moab to try something very unique. The great part about this ride is that there are several bailout points that lesser fit riders can take to avoid the climb up to Gold Bar Rim and the super techy ride across the rim. How the BLM and mountain bike haters are going to keep riders off the old rim ride over to the Portal will be an interesting senerio for future posts.

I use to spend my vacations out there hiking that section and it is spectacular scenery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is It Really True????????????????-green-dot-mm-2-.jpg  

mtbr member

I googled Green Dot trail

I'll be visiting Moab in May and am enjoying reading/dreaming about it on the web in the meantime. It was nice to find this thread and read about this trail. Another link that turned up from my search was a BLM page that says, in bold type, "The "Green Dot" and "Blue Dot" mountain bike trails are illegal routes and are not avialable for riding."

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...ke_trails.html"
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh
    I'll be visiting Moab in May and am enjoying reading/dreaming about it on the web in the meantime. It was nice to find this thread and read about this trail. Another link that turned up from my search was a BLM page that says, in bold type, "The "Green Dot" and "Blue Dot" mountain bike trails are illegal routes and are not avialable for riding."

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...ke_trails.html"
    Did you read this thread? It seems to state that most of the Mag 7 is open and signed now with the rest to follow shortly pending a private land easement.

Maybe the BLM hasn't updated that other webpage yet.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-05-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

magnificent 7

just rode the new parts of mag 7. It's marked with yellow dots, nice job. I parked a few meters below the gold bar singletrack trail head in the wide sandy lot there. I rode the new trails out and back in both directions. I took it easy, drank in the views, snapped some photos, had the place to myself. 65 degrees , brilliant sunshine.
    The trail was clearly marked and excellent. I was out there about 5 hours.
    I particularly liked Little Cyn heading down(east).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpyrider
    Thanks for the intel!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Did you read this thread? It seems to state that most of the Mag 7 is open and signed now with the rest to follow shortly pending a private land easement.

Maybe the BLM hasn't updated that other webpage yet.

Hadn't see that one, thanks.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

banned
    Sep 2007
    https://utahmountainbiking.com/trails/magnificent7.htm

A link by Lidarman in the Passion section, which had some good video, that I thought should be cross linked.

https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passion/magnificent-7-moab-703101.html

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    FW:

I am assuming my Google Earth jpeg. indicates the trail to the north of the Gemini Bridges Jeep Road. Not sure if the starting poing is correct, but the termination on the Metal Masher/Little Cayon Jeep Road is correct.

This route will definitly bring a lot of riders to Moab to try something very unique. The great part about this ride is that there are several bailout points that lesser fit riders can take to avoid the climb up to Gold Bar Rim and the super techy ride across the rim. How the BLM and mountain bike haters are going to keep riders off the old rim ride over to the Portal will be an interesting senerio for future posts.

I use to spend my vacations out there hiking that section and it is spectacular scenery.
    See if this has enough detail to help you:

Members who have read this thread: 0