Read this before you go to Moab- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Read this before you go to Moab

Moab has *very* limited ability to quarantine someone with COVID-19, and has *zero* ability to treat a serious case because they have no ventilators.

They refuse to shut down events, because $$$$$, even though the Hospital and Health Department desperately want that to happen.

https://moabtimes.com/2020/03/11/gra...d-19-response/

Read that article and really grasp it. Moab is just now starting their high season. The town has 6000 locals, but on a busy weekend, they have 20-25,000 visitors. Their hospital can accommodate FIVE adult cases of coronavirus that need quarantine. FIVE. They have *no* ventilators, which are required to save someone who gets a serious case of the disease.

Rotate 10-25,000 new people through town every week. WTF do they think is going to happen? The health officials wanted a ban on large gatherings, the businesses said no, it might hurt their bottom line. Really? What a bunch of *****ing idiots.

mtbr member
    Hereís a clue.
    Businesses arenít making anyone visit.
    Natural selection.....

mtbr member
    Must be tough having such an unrelenting craving for control youíll never have.
    Does all the profane condescension provide as much relief as the other self medication?

mtbr member
    So if those 10000-25000 people don't come to Moab, do you think they are just going to sit at home in a bubble? Go do your thing and don't hug, kiss or shake hands with people. I'd be more concerned about going to my local Wal-Mart or restaurants than Moab or most other destination areas.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Best to just contract it and get it over with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    So if those 10000-25000 people don't come to Moab, do you think they are just going to sit at home in a bubble? Go do your thing and don't hug, kiss or shake hands with people. I'd be more concerned about going to my local Wal-Mart or restaurants than Moab or most other destination areas.
    People can carry this for two weeks. They bring it to Moab, then what?

If they are in CA or Denver or SLC, there might be a chance of someone seeing a doctor, getting a test, or if they are bad, getting a ventilator. None of those are going to happen in Moab. All they are going to do in Moab is tell the people to go back home. COVID-19 can go from mild, to bad, to needing hospitalization in a matter of hours. Grand Junction isn't going to do crap for anyone, they will have to go all the way to Denver or SLC. The more sick people who go to Moab, the more people that are going to die.

Look at Aspen. They have 13 cases and 13 tests outstanding. But they also have a bigger hospital and better capability to get a test. There are regional hospitals nearby. Their economy is getting crushed. So Moab wants to follow in their footsteps? Good move. First person dying in Moab is going to make the place a ghost town.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    First person dying in Moab is going to make the place a ghost town.
    Sounds like that's the perfect time to go and have the trails to yourself

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    People can carry this for two weeks. They bring it to Moab, then what?

If they are in CA or Denver or SLC, there might be a chance of someone seeing a doctor, getting a test, or if they are bad, getting a ventilator. None of those are going to happen in Moab. All they are going to do in Moab is tell the people to go back home. COVID-19 can go from mild, to bad, to needing hospitalization in a matter of hours. Grand Junction isn't going to do crap for anyone, they will have to go all the way to Denver or SLC. The more sick people who go to Moab, the more people that are going to die.

Look at Aspen. They have 13 cases and 13 tests outstanding. But they also have a bigger hospital and better capability to get a test. There are regional hospitals nearby. Their economy is getting crushed. So Moab wants to follow in their footsteps? Good move. First person dying in Moab is going to make the place a ghost town.
    Yeah but I heard Moab has toilet paper

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Human Coronavirus Types
    Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are four main sub-groupings of coronaviruses, known as alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s. The seven coronaviruses that can infect people are:

Common human coronaviruses
    229E (alpha coronavirus)
    NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
    OC43 (beta coronavirus)
    HKU1 (beta coronavirus)
    Other human coronaviruses
    MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
    SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
    SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)
    People around the world commonly get infected with human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1.

Sometimes coronaviruses that infect animals can evolve and make people sick and become a new human coronavirus. Three recent examples of this are 2019-nCoV, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Stop panicking...good grief...you might get sick. If you're old and have complications take extra precautions, 1% (sick elderly)people may die. The only difference between this and past viruses is that the media and governments are hyping the shit out of it and freaking people out.

Assholes filling up their shopping carts with millions of plastic water bottles and toilet paper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    Stop panicking...good grief...you might get sick. If you're old and have complications take extra precautions, 1% people may die. The only difference between this and past viruses is that the media and governments are hyping the shit out of it and freaking people out.

Assholes filling up their shopping carts with millions of plastic water bottles and toilet paper.

OK math major, if "only" 1% die, how many will die in the US? Let's take the lowest projected infection rate, which is 40%.

Get back to us with the answer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    your freaking out man...

The vast majority of cases in China ó 87% ó were in people ages 30 to 79, the China Center for Disease Control reported last month based on data from all 72,314 of those diagnosed with Covid-19 as of Feb. 11. That probably reflects something about biology more than lifestyle, such as being in frequent contact with other people. Teens and people in their 20s also encounter many others, at school and work and on public transit, yet they donít seem to be contracting the disease at significant rates: Only 8.1% of cases were 20-somethings, 1.2% were teens, and 0.9% were 9 or younger. The World Health Organization mission to China found that 78% of the cases reported as of Feb. 20 were in people ages 30 to 69.

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39.

The age-related death risk probably reflects the strength, or weakness, of the respiratory system. About half of the 109 Covid-19 patients (ages 22 to 94) treated at Central Hospital of Wuhan, researchers there reported, developed acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), in which fluid builds up in the small air sacs of the lungs. That restricts how much air the lungs can take in, reducing the oxygen supply to vital organs, sometimes fatally; half of the ARDS patients died, compared to 9% of patients who did not develop the syndrome.

The ARDS patients had an average age of 61, compared to an average age of 49 for those who did not develop ARDS. Elderly patients ďwere more likely to develop ARDS,Ē the researchers wrote, suggesting how age can make Covid-19 more severe and even fatal: age increases the risk that the respiratory system will basically shut down under viral assault.

Youth, in contrast, seems to be protective. The WHO mission reported a relatively low incidence in people under 18, who made up only 2.4% of all reported cases. In fact, through mid-January, zero children in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, had contracted Covid-19. Itís not clear whether thatís because children do not show signs of illness even if infected.

Even cases among children and teens aged 10 to 19 are rare. As of Feb. 11 there were 549 cases in that age group, 1.2% of the total, China CDC found. Only one had died.

source: https://www.statnews.com/tag/coronavirus/

...Its not 1% of the population but more likely 1% of elderly with complications

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    time this is all over more people will probably die from texting and driving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    not saying we shouldn't take precautions but peeps are getting a little nutty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You don't have to go to "an event" to go ride Moab. I've been their over 20 days of riding with very little interact with other people. It's my personal responsibility to limit exposure situations and Moab would be an excellent place to do so. Camp, cook our own food, drink our own beer, and our own trails (oops, everyone's trails).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    You don't have to go to "an event" to go ride Moab. I've been their over 20 days of riding with very little interact with other people. It's my personal responsibility to limit exposure situations and Moab would be an excellent place to do so. Camp, cook our own food, drink our own beer, and our own trails (oops, everyone's trails).
    The point is not that you would catch coronavirus in Moab, it is that you would take it there, get sick, go to the hospital, infect them, and all they are going to do is tell you to go home. They have no ability to treat you. Period. If you have a case with rapid onset, you are going to be close to dead before you to get to Denver or SLC.

mtbr member
    If I lived in Moab, I think that would be a valid concern.
    Visiting, you can avoid people, and unless you're there for 10+ days, you'll be home before you present symptoms. Avoiding people there is pretty easy, so I wouldn't be too worried.

I wrote my Utah state reps, and an excerpt is here, regarding the concerns you voice:
    " I expect that the Utah divisions of the National Guard have some capability to provide mobile hospitals and personnel, unless they are already deployed. Additionally, I expect facilities at Air Force and Army bases within the state could ďramp upĒ should the need arise. Are there plans in place to evacuate people from small towns to areas with advanced facilities using civilian or military transportation?"

I don't expect a response, but I hope they are thinking about it, should mitigation fail.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    not saying we shouldn't take precautions but peeps are getting a little nutty.
    So you do not have the ability to do basic math. Here, I'll do it for you:

330,000,000 people * 40% = 132,000,000 cases

132,000,000 * .01 = 1.3 million dead people.

But wait, based on tests, the death rate in Iran is 4% and Italy is 6%.

These 1.3 Million people will almost all go to a hospital before they die. Let's say for every person who dies at the hospital, one is saved. That is 2.6 Million critical cases rolling into out hospital infrastructure in a very short period of time. We don't have that kind of hospital capacity in this country, and even if we did, once hospital workers start getting the disease or quitting because they don't want to get the disease, there will be nowhere near enough people to take care of the coronavirus patients, but wait, what about heart attacks, car accidents, births, etc.?

Wake up. It isn't about whether YOU will get the disease, it is about what happens when you crash your car or bike a month from now.

The hospital situation is real. It is going on *right now* in Italy, and they have *more* hospital beds per person that we do in the US.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    If I lived in Moab, I think that would be a valid concern.
    Visiting, you can avoid people, and unless you're there for 10+ days, you'll be home before you present symptoms. Avoiding people there is pretty easy, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Think this through. You get the virus on Monday, but don't have symptoms. You leave for Moab on Friday. Saturday morning, you have the sniffles, but no big deal, you are in Moab, you are going to ride. You ride all day. At the end of the day you don't feel too hot, but hey, you just rode all day. Around 4:00AM you wake up and you feel like someone is sitting on your chest, and it sounds like a river is running through your lungs.

Now what?

Nat
    mtbr member
    We don't have that kind of hospital capacity in this country, and even if we did, once hospital workers start getting the disease or quitting because they don't want to get the disease, there will be nowhere near enough people to take care of the coronavirus patients, but wait, what about heart attacks, car accidents, births, etc.? .
    That's the reality that's scaring the shit out of health care providers. This infection could very easily overload our entire hospital system within the next few weeks and it'll become a matter of triage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Think this through. You get the virus on Monday, but don't have symptoms. You leave for Moab on Friday. Saturday morning, you have the sniffles, but no big deal, you are in Moab, you are going to ride. You ride all day. At the end of the day you don't feel too hot, but hey, you just rode all day. Around 4:00AM you wake up and you feel like someone is sitting on your chest, and it sounds like a river is running through your lungs.

Now what?
    Being in the medical field I've read quite a bit about COVID-19. I don't recall any reports supporting a person healthy enough the ride all day coming down down with severe pulmonary distress in 12 or so hours you describe. Can you point to a valid information source? More scare mongering? Can't do the 4 hour drive to Salt Lake City?

mtbr member
    Being in the medical field I've read quite a bit about COVID-19. I don't recall any reports supporting a person healthy enough the ride all day coming down down with severe pulmonary distress in 12 or so hours you describe. Can you point to a valid information source? More scare mongering? Can't do the 4 hour drive to Salt Lake City?
    Exactly...here's an actual patient talking about the symptoms. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?v...C6UbkdE-X3GiNw
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ever driven 4 hours on a crappy two lane road with a terrible case of the flu?

Didn't think so.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...terioration-in

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good article, but it doesn't support your scenario. RE drive to Salt Lake, if you're by yourself and coming down with severe symptoms, agreed that a stretch. If you're with others - decision time.

IPA tester
    Don't stand in line to fight over TP at Costco, put down the Corona, hydrate with a couple frosty Stone IPA and go ride your bike. Peoples got to chill out.
    What a way to live your life..
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Ever driven 4 hours on a crappy two lane road with a terrible case of the flu?

Didn't think so.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/ea...terioration-in
    Ever fly a 767 from JFK to SLC with a sudden onset of food poisoning?
    Ever bring a single engine F-14 aboard a carrier at night because the admiral doesn't want his airplanes ashore?
    Ever power through an August climb on the Grand when a snowstorm comes up and dumps half a foot of snow, while you're in summer gear?

Just man up and drive.
    You can at least get to a point where emergency services can get to you and transport you.
    This is getting a bit ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

These 1.3 Million people will almost all go to a hospital before they die. Let's say for every person who dies at the hospital, one is saved. That is 2.6 Million critical cases rolling into out hospital infrastructure in a very short period of time. We don't have that kind of hospital capacity in this country, and even if we did, once hospital workers start getting the disease or quitting because they don't want to get the disease, there will be nowhere near enough people to take care of the coronavirus patients, but wait, what about heart attacks, car accidents, births, etc.?

Wake up. It isn't about whether YOU will get the disease, it is about what happens when you crash your car or bike a month from now.

The hospital situation is real. It is going on *right now* in Italy, and they have *more* hospital beds per person that we do in the US.
    And obviously you didn't read my posts... your projected death toll is the problem and why so many people are freaking out for no reason.

If you are healthy basically you have nothing to worry about except getting sick. If you are sick stay home and stay away from people... DO NOT GO TO THE HOSPITAL. The hospital can do nothing for you and are just going to tell you to stay home.

The people at risk are elderly with health complications. Of THOSE people it will be most likely around 1% who get infected and may die. So the numbers will more likely be in the thousands and not millions.

Again young healthy people have nothing to worry about...if youre sick stay home simple as that. Wash your hands. Dont freak out and go to the hospital thats just dumb and the worst thing you can do. And for Gods sakes stop buying up all the toilet paper.

Im glad they are cancelling big events I think thats a smart move, but people need to stop panicking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Where are you getting these numbers from? Please reveal your source.

You're death rate percentages for Iran and Italy is totally misleading...4% of who? Those infected? the total population? the sick elderly? How many tests did they do? who did they test?

4% of all those infected and dying is complete BS...Again its only the elderly who are at risk of dying. If you get sick or are showing symptoms stay home!

We tested 2 people one of them died....death rate is 50% = people freak out. Irresponsible. We dont even know how many people are infected...you may not even be showing symptoms. The people infected are probably a lot more then we know about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    The issue isn't getting sick in Moab, but the way in which the presence of many tourists might promote the spread of the disease. In my trips to Moab I rarely if ever got within 2m of others when riding, so I don't think that activity really interferes with our current mandate of 'social distancing'. Maybe during the crowded start of a bike race or other event, but not just riding on one's own.

I'd actually think the greater worry would just be hanging out in crowds downtown. If I were considering going to Moab (and were 20 years younger and not in the 'high risk' demographic) I might still go, but would try to stay in my room or campsite at night rather than mingling. Social distancing isn't just to keep ourselves healthy, but it's a small lifestyle sacrifice we all should make to slow the overall spread.

mtbr member
    Ever bring a single engine F-14 aboard a carrier at night because the admiral doesn't want his airplanes ashore?
    Ever power through an August climb on the Grand when a snowstorm comes up and dumps half a foot of snow, while you're in summer gear?

Just man up and drive.
    You can at least get to a point where emergency services can get to you and transport you.

ell oh ell.

I have some things planned in Moab in may, so this is pertinent to my interests.
    I'll be playing it smart, and seeing how gnarly this outbreak really turns out to be before insinuating I'm so tough I can put out a burning building with diarrhea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Smile

Just man up and drive.
    a world class comeback
    breezy shade

Time is not a road.
    We don't have 5G here, you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    OK math major, if "only" 1% die, how many will die in the US? Let's take the lowest projected infection rate, which is 40%.

Get back to us with the answer.
    Where the heck did you come up with the lowest projected infection rate being 40%?
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS (loaned out)
    A road bike

IPA tester
    Just go ride your bike or stay home.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Some of this I am not understanding, please enlighten me.
    Our training center is shut down for a month, grade schools are closing for a additional 2 weeks after spring break. We are shutting down events that have more than 250 people, including concerts and races. So the general public here believes that in a month or two we are going to be back to normal.
    These precautions will slow the spread but my understanding is that when we try to return to normal than it will spread to those who don't have it. Are we going to live like this forever?
    Are we waiting for a vaccination? Would you go and get a vaccination that is freshly concocted and released. Heck people don't even vaccinate their kids nowadays.

Does your hometown have a state of the art hospital? Maybe your better off in Moab?

Nat
    mtbr member
    The idea is to slow the rate of spread so that the health care system is able to handle the number of severely ill. In other words, plan on getting sick and be thankful if you don't. It's just better for the severely ill to get ill when the hospital is able to care for them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    When the health officials claim up to 70% of the population will get the virus, there isn't going to be a slow rate of infection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    When the health officials claim up to 70% of the population will get the virus, there isn't going to be a slow rate of infection.
    70%??!! Where are these people coming up with this crap?? China has a population of 1.6 billion and has 80,000 cases and the new cases have slowed to a crawl. That's half of one freaking percent. This shit is starting to remind me of the time in the 80's when Oprah and some other clowns were claiming that over half of the heterosexual population would have AIDS by the year 2,000.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    -19?

The World Health Organization has officially declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic. What began as a handful of cases in Wuhan, China nearly two and a half months ago has evolved into a global outbreak, with the virus spreading to over 100 countries with over 100,000 cases and 4,000 deaths confirmed. Epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch at Harvard University is projecting 40 Ė 70% of the worldís adult population could be infected by COVID-19.

From our main provincial news source.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    70%??!! Where are these people coming up with this crap?? China has a population of 1.6 billion and has 80,000 cases and the new cases have slowed to a crawl. That's half of one freaking percent. This shit is starting to remind me of the time in the 80's when Oprah and some other clowns were claiming that over half of the heterosexual population would have AIDS by the year 2,000.
    I think that the actual infection rate is supposed to be 100% if the potential to get everyone to have the virus together. The concept is that every human is susceptible to this virus. There is no natural immunity, perhaps there are a few folks that might have the ability to not get it, so lets say 99% of americans could get it.

However be quarantining, controlling the populations, etc. you can isolate the virus within a population and when the entire population gets it then the virus cannot propagate within the population because they have all had it and have an immune reaction immediately to it based on their previous contact with it. Therefore it dies off in that population. If no one enters that population within lets say 3 days after the last members stops shedding the virus, and all virus on surfaces has died then you could enter that population and not get the virus.

The plan, and one that is working in China because they are authoritarian, is to close communities, let the virus infect all members, triage those that have the bad reaction, and then keep others out and those in that population in. This is what they have been doing, shutting down communities, locking people in apartment blocks, etc. because they can.

In a country like Italy, or the US, it is much harder to keep a population closed. Our government has not helped, leaving borders open and not putting in travel restrictions until it has spread through most of the country. So at this point we have to minimize the infection rate so that emergency services aren't swamped and put into triage conditions, where they decide then and there who gets the ventilator and who doesn't.

If we continue to act like idiots, get our kids together for playdates, etc. then we get to experience the might of this virus as it saps our medical facilities, kills the frail, the old and the newly young, and cripples our economy. It isn't doomsaying it is the truth of viruses. It is one of the reason that people fear ebola so much but ebola requires physical contact to spread, if it was an aerosol vector, this planet would probably be run by dogs or something, with small patches of humans, lingering out there. Ebola has a 50% mortality rate and while this one is small, something in the single percents, the impact here is the aerosol vector and the impact on our economy.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Nat
    mtbr member
    We should try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    The idea is to slow the rate of spread so that the health care system is able to handle the number of severely ill. In other words, plan on getting sick and be thankful if you don't. It's just better for the severely ill to get ill when the hospital is able to care for them.
    This is correct. It's not that it's the worst virus ever, it's that if we can slow the spread our medical system will better be able to manage an increase in critical patients and not become overwhelmed.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    -19?

The World Health Organization has officially declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic. What began as a handful of cases in Wuhan, China nearly two and a half months ago has evolved into a global outbreak, with the virus spreading to over 100 countries with over 100,000 cases and 4,000 deaths confirmed. Epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch at Harvard University is projecting 40 Ė 70% of the worldís adult population could be infected by COVID-19.

From our main provincial news source.
    No offense, but did you just crawl out from under a rock?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Stop panicking...good grief...you might get sick. If you're old and have complications take extra precautions, 1% (sick elderly)people may die. The only difference between this and past viruses is that the media and governments are hyping the shit out of it and freaking people out.

Best post I've read all day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Until it looks like World War Z out there we will continue to live our lives, will wash hands more, and use common sense when around peeps, but life goes on.
    Meanwhile, packing for Moab and should be rolling into to our isolated camp late Wednesday. Will avoid OP for his personal safety.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    OP, did you ever suggest shutting down the town over the seasonal flu? It has been far more deadly.Read this before you go to Moab-capture.jpg

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I think the difference is that that was over a 5 month period. This new virus could put big numbers of people in the hospital, that need critical care, in only a month or so. Our current medical capacity is not far from max under normal circumstances. Rapidly increasing the number of critical patients, all at once, could end badly.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    I think the difference is that that was over a 5 month period. This new virus could put big numbers of people in the hospital, that need critical care, in only a month or so. Our current medical capacity is not far from max under normal circumstances. Rapidly increasing the number of critical patients, all at once, could end badly.
    Key word, "could". And big asteroid "could" hit the earth tomorrow and make this all a mute point.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Well, if you look at what is happening in other parts of the world (all we have really), it looks likely. Let's hope not, but we should take it seriously. Not to panic, but understand that slowing the growth of this is what individuals can do to help.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    Well, if you look at what is happening in other parts of the world (all we have really), it looks likely. Let's hope not, but we should take it seriously. Not to panic, but understand that slowing the growth of this is what individuals can do to help.
    Copy.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    These charts showing infection numbers and death numbers for countries after the first day of the 100th confirmed case show that we're on a trajectory much closer to South Korea than that of Italy. But you won't hear that from any major media, you have to go look for/find it for yourself.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-world-compare
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    These charts showing infection numbers and death numbers for countries after the first day of the 100th confirmed case show that we're on a trajectory much closer to South Korea than that of Italy. But you won't hear that from any major media, you have to go look for/find it for yourself.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-world-compare
    After the first day of the 100th case, South Korea started testing tens of thousands of people.

The US can't get their shit together. We have been promised "a million tests kits next week" for three weeks now. Things are so bad in CO they just quit testing in some places (Aspen, Vail) and told anyone with symptoms to self-quarantine. It isn't working. Even one of the Aussies who had an absolute positive and was under "mandatory quarantine" was caught skiing at Snowmass. How well is it going to work when someone has the virus, gets a mild case, and is never tested? Even if they self-quarantine, are they going to do it for two entire weeks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    After the first day of the 100th case, South Korea started testing tens of thousands of people.

The US can't get their shit together. We have been promised "a million tests kits next week" for three weeks now. Things are so bad in CO they just quit testing in some places (Aspen, Vail) and told anyone with symptoms to self-quarantine. It isn't working. Even one of the Aussies who had an absolute positive and was under "mandatory quarantine" was caught skiing at Snowmass. How well is it going to work when someone has the virus, gets a mild case, and is never tested? Even if they self-quarantine, are they going to do it for two entire weeks?
    Just wait, its around the corner...we wont be able to take a piss unless we have a smart phone with government tracking software installed and are green lighted.

There will be a day when we wont be able to leave the house, buy groceries, or drive a car unless the big gov deems it "safe" to do so.

China is really close.

...and after another pandemic or two the people will be begging for it.

This whole thing is a conspiracy started in a China lab designed for a one government world takeover...and the people will love it. 1984.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Just wait, its around the corner...we wont be able to take a piss unless we have a smart phone with government tracking software installed and are green lighted.

There will be a day when we wont be able to leave the house, buy groceries, or drive a car unless the big gov deems it "safe" to do so.

China is really close.

...and after another pandemic or two the people will be begging for it.

This whole thing is a conspiracy started in a China lab designed for a one government world takeover...and the people will love it. 1984.
    Wow. You should buy a few more guns and dig a fallout shelter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wow. You should buy a few more guns and dig a fallout shelter.
    heck ya... yall can come over
    Read this before you go to Moab-fall-out.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If people stop coming they'll complain about no tourism money.

mtbr member
    Hotels have now been ordered closed to visitors, with few exceptions. https://moabtimes.com/2020/03/17/moa...ocal-visitors/

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmUT View Post
    Hotels have now been ordered closed to visitors, with few exceptions. https://moabtimes.com/2020/03/17/moa...ocal-visitors/
    Please note: the order INCLUDES a ban on camping, both public and private:

https://moabtimes.com/wp-content/upl...2020-FINAL.pdf

mtbr member
    No ban on riding our bikes though like in Italy and Spain, right? Day trip. Self shuttled Mag 7 or Amasa Loops should be fine, other than having to pick up food curbside.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    No ban on riding our bikes though like in Italy and Spain, right? Day trip. Self shuttled Mag 7 or Amasa Loops should be fine, other than having to pick up food curbside.
    Fine until you crash or get in a car accident, which is why they don't want people going out there. They are afraid a few bad cases of the virus, a few of the medical personnel getting sick, and the usual spring break trauma, would combine to be a health disaster. Spring break is not their busiest time, the Jeep Safari is, and it is the second week of April this year. If half the doctors and nurses are out from exposure to some dumbass tourist's virus, they have a real problem.

mtbr member

Read this before you go to Moab

Good point. I suspect our trip is going to get cancelled anyway when GJ/CO institutes the same kind of measures Moab did.

Looks like Jeep Safari in Moab has been canceled. Playing it by ear for now, but our trip was scheduled for middle of April so sounds like we best avoid Moab anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KRob; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:35 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Well, lets look at "peace time" stats:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 2,813,503 registered deaths in the United States in 2017.

Some people will die, there is no other way, and whining about it won't make a difference. Elderly are on high risk for this virus and some of them will die after contracting it, the rest of population will get either sick and recover or get vaccinated.

PS Buy more toilet paper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Just go ride your bike or stay home.

Just ride alone. Too bad we still have snow and ski hills are closed.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 2,813,503 registered deaths in the United States in 2017.

Some people will die, there is no other way, and whining about it won't make a difference. Elderly are on high risk for this virus and some of them will die after contracting it, the rest of population will get either sick and recover or get vaccinated.

I think the issue is that those 2 million occur over 365 days. These 1 million could occur over a couple of months. That is am immense burden on the medical system, which will still be dealing with the 2 million natural deaths over the rest of the year. If you take that to a monthly amount that is around 160,000 people per month that die from something other than COVID. So if we figure that this takes 2 months to run its course (which is what we really don't want) during those 2 months hospital and medical professionals will have to deal with 650,000 deaths per month. That is 650,000 people, in morgues and hallways throughout the nations hospitals. The fact that some of those will be medical professionals won't help the process either.

Add to that the 100,000,000 cases that we will have, of those a percentage will end up in the hospital not dying but needing assistance and if you can't see that issue, you need to open your eyes a bit. Even if this is conservative and we see half this mortality and hospitalization every district will be stressed. Once resources are stressed beyond what a district can deal with they will enter Triage mode and have to decide who lives and who doesn't. Imagine the mental health burden on our medical professionals when they are forced to decide that the elderly don't get a ventilator or the single man doesn't get one because he doesn't have kids to support.

Flatten the curve, the only way to alleviate this eventuality. Slowly allowing this to transmit through the country will spare scarce resources, increase the timeframe in which science might get us a vaccine, and ease the burden on the medical professionals. Rapid transmission is not just a good option.

I applaud Moab for realizing that an overburdened public health department would destroy their area worse than restricting visitors.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Nat
    mtbr member
    Elderly are on high risk for this virus and some of them will die after contracting it, the rest of population will get either sick and recover or get vaccinated.
    People keep mentioning that it's the elderly who are at risk as if it makes things not such a big deal. My parents are elderly. I don't want my mom and dad to die in the next few weeks.

poser Administrator
    People keep mentioning that it's the elderly who are at risk as if it makes things not such a big deal. My parents are elderly. I don't want my mom and dad to die in the next few weeks.
    I am in the same boat and if you look at the data from Italy, when the elderly die, you do not get to go visit for a last time or go to their funeral, or go to close out their affairs, you just sit at home and understand that eventually you will have the opportunity to take care of this, just not now. My mother lives in another country. My chances of getting to see her or dealing with her affairs are fairly limited. I have been stressing to her how important it is to stay in the house. I hope she follows it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member

Your grandma would be proud of your bravery and empathy

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I am in the same boat and if you look at the data from Italy, when the elderly die, you do not get to go visit for a last time or go to their funeral, or go to close out their affairs, you just sit at home and understand that eventually you will have the opportunity to take care of this, just not now. My mother lives in another country. My chances of getting to see her or dealing with her affairs are fairly limited. I have been stressing to her how important it is to stay in the house. I hope she follows it.
    My parents aren't prepared well enough, IMO. It doesn't make me feel any better that they live only a few blocks away from this scene:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...al-distancing/

mtbr member
    Fine until you crash or get in a car accident, which is why they don't want people going out there. They are afraid a few bad cases of the virus, a few of the medical personnel getting sick, and the usual spring break trauma, would combine to be a health disaster. Spring break is not their busiest time, the Jeep Safari is, and it is the second week of April this year. If half the doctors and nurses are out from exposure to some dumbass tourist's virus, they have a real problem.
    ...and you could trip and fall down the stairs in your home or slip in your shower or have a stroke or embolism from sitting around doing nothing. You can cower away all you want but I'll be out riding and NOT worrying about the virus that has killed so few people it can't even compete with suicides in this country.
    Carpe Diem!!

poser Administrator
    My parents aren't prepared well enough, IMO. It doesn't make me feel any better that they live only a few blocks away from this scene:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...al-distancing/
    oof. That sucks.

I heard this guy joking the other day at Costco that this virus shouldn't be called the Coronavirus but the Boomer Doomer. He is totally right. My mom is early boomer and her ideas of healthy living was to not smoke and occasionally drinking. Exercise, food restraint, etc, isn't really in her playbook though. Blood thinners, high blood pressure, overweight, and lack of cardiovascular health will really doom a lot of boomers, especially with this viruses prevalence of attacking those that have lung issues and heart conditions.

I doubt she is prepared but her city only has 1 case. Which as we all know now means that they a ton and this one case has probably been spread throughout the town anyway. Hope she hasn't been going to church but she probably has. Ugh.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    ...and you could trip and fall down the stairs in your home or slip in your shower or have a stroke or embolism from sitting around doing nothing. You can cower away all you want but I'll be out riding and NOT worrying about the virus that has killed so few people it can't even compete with suicides in this country.
    Just stay the F away from the rest us. The fact that you are so cavalier about this is shocking and pathetic.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    OK, Boomer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The last time I was in Moab, I camped in the desert and hit the trails on my own. I could have enjoyed every single one of them without ever violating the 2 meter social distancing rule. If my work was shut down, it's hard to think of a more fun and safe place to "social distance" than Moab. Whoever made this post, you're high as a kite.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The last time I was in Moab, I camped in the desert and hit the trails on my own. I could have enjoyed every single one of them without ever violating the 2 meter social distancing rule. If my work was shut down, it's hard to think of a more fun and safe place to "social distance" than Moab. Whoever made this post, you're high as a kite.
    Clueless much?
    Iíll let others fill you in.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Clueless much?
    Iíll let others fill you in.
    Clueless to what?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Clueless to what?
    i think this reply says it all.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Booga Booga!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I think the issue is that those 2 million occur over 365 days. These 1 million could occur over a couple of months.
    My point is corona-virus death toll will include plenty of the most vulnerable (seniors and seriously sick) and quite a few of these folks could/would die within next year without virus anyway. It is a front-loaded scenario...

It may sound cynical, but that's how life is without rose lenses on the brains.

I totally agree that slowing the virus is very important to keep healthcare system functional, that's why I'm working from home and follow the rules, but eventually - corona-virus is just a flu+ - you either get it and recover or die from complications.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Nobody want it, so make sure their exposure is as minimal as possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Your grandma would be proud of your bravery and empathy
    They all are long time dead. But I still have my sense of humour.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just stay the F away from the rest us. The fact that you are so cavalier about this is shocking and pathetic.
    As long as he's alone all the time - I won't care as long as he's not breaking any law.

poser Administrator
    My point is corona-virus death toll will include plenty of the most vulnerable (seniors and seriously sick) and quite a few of these folks could/would die within next year without virus anyway. It is a front-loaded scenario...

It may sound cynical, but that's how life is without rose lenses on the brains.

I totally agree that slowing the virus is very important to keep healthcare system functional, that's why I'm working from home and follow the rules, but eventually - corona-virus is just a flu+ - you either get it and recover or die from complications.
    Your added sentence at the end makes the rose colored glasses comment not relevant. I don't think anyone is arguing that people won't die if we stay home and the entire topic of this thread is that Moab was unsuited to accommodate the sick. The point being if you are coming to Moab, don't because they can't handle the load.

Similarly I hate seeing tourists in Seattle right now because they could potentially be a burden on our already impacted health care system if they even get food poisoning. Everyone understands that people will die. Elderly, young, immunity impacted folks will die, just having them die over many many months will be better for everyone in the US, vs. having them all die at the same time. There is no cynicism here, just facts that if people act like 1.5 million dead over 3 months isn't an impact they are deluding themselves and endangering others with this point of view. It will be a massive impact, perhaps the largest impact we have ever had, it will cripple our economy more than it already is, it will stress our medical system to the breaking point or even beyond, and it will impact our country for years to come.

Hot take here though is if you have already had COVID-19 and lived, your are now eminently hireable. Imagine the desire out there in the workforce for people that can show up and work without fear of this virus. That is if it is a single infection type of virus. If it has phases, we are all screwed.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Nat
    mtbr member
    Nobody want it, so make sure their exposure is as minimal as possible.
    That's easy to say but hard to do, especially when thousands of people decided they just needed to get their spring break on at the beach a few blocks away from my parents' retirement community.

At least their city is responding with a beach closure since people couldn't do it themselves without being forced. Americans don't like to be told what to do, it turns out.

https://www.wfla.com/news/clearwater...irus-concerns/

Nat
    mtbr member
    Wow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That's easy to say but hard to do, especially when thousands of people decided they just needed to get their spring break on at the beach a few blocks away from my parents' retirement community.

At least their city is responding with a beach closure since people couldn't do it themselves without being forced. Americans don't like to be told what to do, it turns out.

https://www.wfla.com/news/clearwater...irus-concerns/
    The first three words, and the last "sentence", if we can call it that, in that article tell it all.

"After much debate" <--Should have been none. Close the f*&^ing beaches.

"Another spring breaker told CNN: ďI feel like we shouldnít, like, change our lifestyles necessarily just because of like, corona, especially cause it hasnít been affecting younger people. I think, like, thatís why we donít take it seriously.Ē "

There was an article in the Boulder Daily Camera about how idiotic CU students had at least ten St. Patricks Day parties over the weekend attended by over 100 people each. Of course, now they have a confirmed case from someone who attended.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Important point.......there are also young people with immune system issues that are vulnerable. Let's not kick them to the curb too.

Clueless to what?
    ALL camping, even dispersed, is prohibited right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    the entire topic of this thread is that Moab was unsuited to accommodate the sick. The point being if you are coming to Moab, don't because they can't handle the load.
    It seems like topic drifted pretty far away from original direction (which should be obvious -> Moab definitely isn't the place to get sick and/or to seek treatment from corona-v) and now covers significantly wider discussion.

One of the things being tossed around - if someone feel fine, can get to some local riding destination (Moab or whatever one rides locally) in 30mins to 1 hour of driving from home, get a ride and then get back home without interacting with anybody - I don't see why not unless this is prohibited by law. Am I missing something?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>
    One of the things being tossed around - if someone feel fine, can get to some local riding destination (Moab or whatever one rides locally) in 30mins to 1 hour of driving from home, get a ride and then get back home without interacting with anybody - I don't see why not unless this is prohibited by law. Am I missing something?
    There's nothing wrong with it.

The issue is: what you're describing is *responsible* behavior in such a time. There are LARGE swaths of the public that will not exhibit such *responsible* behavior. As a result, our society is basically forced to tell everyone that you can't do that any more (for the time being).

It's basically "some people ruining it for everyone."

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Hot take here though is if you have already had COVID-19 and lived, your are now eminently hireable. Imagine the desire out there in the workforce for people that can show up and work without fear of this virus. That is if it is a single infection type of virus. If it has phases, we are all screwed.
    I've asked several epidemiologists and microbiologists if it's possible to get re-infected with COVID-19. As of today no one has seen any reports confirming immunity. Do you have a data source? Also not aware that a serology test has been developed for COVID to measure antibody response. Yes, most other viruses follow that model, but it's no guarantee that it's true for COVID.

poser Administrator
    I've asked several epidemiologists and microbiologists if it's possible to get re-infected with COVID-19. As of today no one has seen any reports confirming immunity. Do you have a data source? Also not aware that a serology test has been developed for COVID to measure antibody response. Yes, most other viruses follow that model, but it's no guarantee that it's true for COVID.
    Oh agreed. Just saying if it happens that it doesn't reinfect or resurge in the host, post infection folks will be a hot commodity. Looking for the silver lining
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If we an flatten the curve there are a lot of people who won't die. If the curve is flattened then hopefully everyone who needs a ventilator or emergency care will get what they require. If we all get it at once who will get care, how will they decide?
    I know a lot of people with compromised health but they are young and have family's, They may need care but could overcome this and return to a normal life.
    Don't think about old people, think about kids with CF, someone with asthma, your Mom...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    ALL camping, even dispersed, is prohibited right now.
    What is that accomplishing? Seriously, what public health objective is accomplished by preventing people from camping in vast, empty desert? And what would be accomplished by paying a park ranger to summons a person into court for this, or expecting that person to walk into court to contest such a thing?

If I wasn't working, I'd be in Moab right now. The trails are one of the few activities we can still enjoy while still practicing "social distancing" and "isolation."

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    There's nothing wrong with it.

The issue is: what you're describing is *responsible* behavior in such a time. There are LARGE swaths of the public that will not exhibit such *responsible* behavior. As a result, our society is basically forced to tell everyone that you can't do that any more (for the time being).

It's basically "some people ruining it for everyone."
    It is not a fallacy to say that this argument is a slippery slope. If your argument was taken even at face value and not an extreme, liberty in this country would be permanently erased.

Our constitution and our dedication to freedom cannot be killed by any virus. If you seriously think that the American people are going to be told we can't enjoy the vast empty land out west, you're going to be in for a big surprise when the blowback from that sort of nonsense begins.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What is that accomplishing? Seriously, what public health objective is accomplished by preventing people from camping in vast, empty desert? And what would be accomplished by paying a park ranger to summons a person into court for this, or expecting that person to walk into court to contest such a thing?

If I wasn't working, I'd be in Moab right now. The trails are one of the few activities we can still enjoy while still practicing "social distancing" and "isolation."
    I had every intention of camping there right now, but can't.

I think the only reason that is almost logical is that it is just another way to minimize the volume of people that has the potential to tax their health care system, be it from injury or illness.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had every intention of camping there right now, but can't.

I think the only reason that is almost logical is that it is just another way to minimize the volume of people that has the potential to tax their health care system, be it from injury or illness.

Agreed. It's also that fact that even if you are being more responsible and not trying to get hotels and dine out, you are still likely going to gas stations, rest stops, and grocery stores.

For those of you who are like me and stuck in SLC, we have a ton of great skate parks. Go practice your bunny hops and manuals (once they are dry and if they aren't crowded.) And just don't get too crazy so you don't end up at the hospital.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Agreed. It's also that fact that even if you are being more responsible and not trying to get hotels and dine out, you are still likely going to gas stations, rest stops, and grocery stores.

For those of you who are like me and stuck in SLC, we have a ton of great skate parks. Go practice your bunny hops and manuals (once they are dry and if they aren't crowded.) And just don't get too crazy so you don't end up at the hospital.
    It is quite frustrating for us, I understand the healthcare system's capability Etc.
    That said, this weekend and a lot of our quick trips, we don't even set foot in town or any place of business. We camp, go to the trailheads, ride, go back to camp, repeat, then go home.
    So bummed I'm not there now.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It is not a fallacy to say that this argument is a slippery slope. If your argument was taken even at face value and not an extreme, liberty in this country would be permanently erased.

Our constitution and our dedication to freedom cannot be killed by any virus. If you seriously think that the American people are going to be told we can't enjoy the vast empty land out west, you're going to be in for a big surprise when the blowback from that sort of nonsense begins.
    Aaaaaaand this right here, folks, is why states are enacting shelter-in-place orders.

Because this guy's Freedumb is more important than the medical workers' health in Moab.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    There's a business owner near Moab who is saying on FB, (I'm paraphrasing), "Come on down, we are fully stocked, don't let the Government tell you what to do."
    I thought it would be funny to go into his place coughing and sneezing profusely while touching everything on his shelves, yelling "yeah man, you are awesome, amen, screw the Gubmint!"
    The reaction would be priceless

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BALE View Post
    There's a business owner near Moab who is saying on FB, (I'm paraphrasing), "Come on down, we are fully stocked, don't let the Government tell you what to do."
    I thought it would be funny to go into his place coughing and sneezing profusely while touching everything on his shelves, yelling "yeah man, you are awesome, amen, screw the Gubmint!"
    The reaction would be priceless

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    It is quite frustrating for us, I understand the healthcare system's capability Etc.
    That said, this weekend and a lot of our quick trips, we don't even set foot in town or any place of business. We camp, go to the trailheads, ride, go back to camp, repeat, then go home.
    So bummed I'm not there now.

No one plans for their childís foot to become infected from stepping on a prickly pear while peeing at night...but there you go. Want more examples? Car trouble? Accidentally spill all of your water? Accidentally leave the propane on? Rollover in your side by side? Shred all of your tires? Puncture your gas tank? Impacted molar? Fall on your face while drunk?
    Get the point?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    No one plans for their childís foot to become infected from stepping on a prickly pear while peeing at night...but there you go. Want more examples? Car trouble? Accidentally spill all of your water? Accidentally leave the propane on? Rollover in your side by side? Shred all of your tires? Puncture your gas tank? Impacted molar? Fall on your face while drunk?
    Get the point?
    Don't you try to infringe on my Freedumbô there, you Commie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Get the point?
    Thanks captain obvious, I do in fact get it. I think I made it clear in the begging of my reply as well as other replies in this thread.

Get it?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Thanks captain obvious, I do in fact get it. I think I made it clear in the begging of my reply as well as other replies in this thread.

Get it?
    Your actual words belie that you do.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member

Classic American entitlement.

Sorry but you can't always get what you want, honey

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Skared, you should watch some Jim Jefferies if you haven't, good stuff.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BALE View Post
    Skared, you should watch some Jim Jefferies if you haven't, good stuff.
    Love me some Jim Jefferies. That bloke is right funny.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Your actual words belie that you do.
    It seems you just want to argue for argument's sake.

If you'd paid attention, you'd see I quoted a reply that mentioned "you're likely to go to gas stations, grocery stores etc". The purpose of my response was to demonstrate that on a quick trip like this one, I would not be setting foot in ANY Moab place of business, even before the virus was a thing.

But again, if you still pay attention, I have no intentions of going down, nor am I encouraging anyone to go. I am pointing out that people can go to Moab, and not go to Moab. You can move on now, I hope.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Cognitive dissonance much?
    Schroedingerís camping trip?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hopefully they shut down the bike trails completely and don't let anyone back on them.
    The medical community has to take care of too many morons that crash and get hurt.

mtbr member
    Stupid meme when you consider a casual glance at Caltrans traffic cams showing all those California HWYs and freeways looking like business as usual with the number of people out on the roads. I guess all those libtards aren't having it with respect to Governor Metrosexual's stay at home order.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Cognitive dissonance much?
    Schroedingerís camping trip?
    Misuse sciencey terms much?

It's almost as if you've read nothing I posted.....except a couple sentence that triggered you (having ignored the context).
    Like, you're just looking for something go on about.

Keep up your imaginary battle there trooper!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    Stupid meme when you consider a casual glance at Caltrans traffic cams showing all those California HWYs and freeways looking like business as usual with the number of people out on the roads. I guess all those libtards aren't having it with respect to Governor Metrosexual's stay at home order.
    Dude, you own the Libs soooo hard

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    You are the one complaining about not being able to go, but also saying that if you went, somehow you are a special, self sufficient boot strapper that donít ever need no-ones help. Sorry, but that is EXACTLY how your post comes across, and that is what I am responding to. You should go back and read your own post with a critical eye.

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1241044023437070338

EDIT: I apologize a little bit, I think I let some of my vitriol intended for twodownzero bleed into my reply to you.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Aaaaaaand this right here, folks, is why states are enacting shelter-in-place orders.

Because this guy's Freedumb is more important than the medical workers' health in Moab.

What medical care would I need in Moab that I don't already need where I'm at? And what cough or symptoms would be so terrible that I couldn't just drive somewhere else to get care?

You all really believe we should leave our trails bare, that sit out in the middle of nowhere and require ZERO human contact, because of this? And I'm the one who's crazy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    You are the one complaining about not being able to go, but also saying that if you went, somehow you are a special, self sufficient boot strapper that donít ever need no-ones help. Sorry, but that is EXACTLY how your post comes across, and that is what I am responding to. You should go back and read your own post with a critical eye.

EDIT: I apologize a little bit, I think I let some of my vitriol intended for twodownzero bleed into my reply to you.
    I haven't gone anywhere, because I have to work! But, if somehow I didn't have to work and could enjoy my outdoor activities without any risk to anyone else, I would be on a long, long roadtrip right now. I'd be socially distant and isolated--just not at my house. Thus far nobody has convinced me why that would be a problem.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    What medical care would I need in Moab that I don't already need where I'm at? And what cough or symptoms would be so terrible that I couldn't just drive somewhere else to get care?

You all really believe we should leave our trails bare, that sit out in the middle of nowhere and require ZERO human contact, because of this? And I'm the one who's crazy?
    Iíll repeat myself.

Get the point?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Iíll repeat myself.

Get the point?
    By this logic then nobody should ever go there. It's not as if our social services are overwhelmed right now, at all. And if some of the real doomsday people are to be believed, this is going to go on for 12-18 months until a vaccine is available. If you think that is a viable strategy, you're going to be in for a big surprise.

Also, I'm not sure if you considered that all of those things can happen at my house just as likely as they can happen on the road.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Wow, the dumb is STRONG with this one.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavir...an-hour-in-nyc

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    By this logic then nobody should ever go there. It's not as if our social services are overwhelmed right now, at all. And if some of the real doomsday people are to be believed, this is going to go on for 12-18 months until a vaccine is available. If you think that is a viable strategy, you're going to be in for a big surprise.

Also, I'm not sure if you considered that all of those things can happen at my house just as likely as they can happen on the road.
    THIS is why.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavir...an-hour-in-nyc

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    And wtf does that have to do with a vast empty desert?

and while you consider that:
    I'm off to pedal my bike into my local vast empty desert.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Can one die simply from low IQ?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    A friend of mine was canyoneering in southern Utah this past weekend and required an air evac and a trip to the hospital. Turns out an otherwise healthy 50 yr old had a heart condition. Not sure if she went to the Moab hospital or got a Guardian flight directly to Page, Grand Junction, or SLC. Either way, shit happens. The dilemma for health care in small towns right now is real.

In my town of 70,000 they are already out of masks and the drive-up testing center is out of tests.

By all means get outside but why not just hunker down and ride your local trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

One last time......the intent of my response to the reply I quoted, was to demonstrate (for totally useless reasons, because as said, I DO IN FACT UNDERSTAND BOTH REASONS to stay away) that some people go to Moab, without setting foot in Moab or any local businesses. It was a theoretical response, as again, my previous posts should have demonstrated my understanding of the reasons for the ban. [/broken record]

I will reiterate one more time however...I did not respond with that as an argument FOR going to Moab. I hope it is clear now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

In my town of 70,000 they are already out of masks and the drive-up testing center is out of tests.
    Small clarification... They're out of specimen collection kits, not tests. Collection kits are still sent to the limited number of labs able to do testing. Vendors are coming out with additional testing methods fairly rapidly. Point of care testing may be available in the near future, but the investment in pretty high so it will be interesting to see who goes that route.

mtbr member
    Small clarification... They're out of specimen collection kits, not tests. Collection kits are still sent to the limited number of labs able to do testing. Vendors are coming out with additional testing methods fairly rapidly. Point of care testing may be available in the near future, but the investment in pretty high so it will be interesting to see who goes that route.
    Good to know. Either way, for every confirmed case, 25 to 50 others potentially also have the virus. That's a fact. It's here and people are spreading it while asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic.

This thread blows donkey balls. The OP is spot on and the restrictions are understandable if you consider their (Moab's) perspective. Visitors would bring more virus besides possibly taking up the limited amounts of beds when accidents inevitably do happen. Hospitals in rural settings donít have much capacity, and they donít have ICUís. That, and the visitors suck up all the groceries from the one store in town. What's not to get?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Would you care to change that now? If not, would you care to bet? I'll even give you an over/under of HALF of your projections. lol
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Would you care to change that now? If not, would you care to bet? I'll even give you an over/under of HALF of your projections. lol
    Ummmmm. We aren't even 5% of the way through this. The Orangutan in Chief even thinks if "only" 200,000 people in the US die, we are doing well. Given how far off he has been on everything else, I'm going to say 1.2 Million is probably in the ballpark.

Get back to us a year from now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ummmmm. We aren't even 5% of the way through this. The Orangutan in Chief even thinks if "only" 200,000 people in the US die, we are doing well. Given how far off he has been on everything else, I'm going to say 1.2 Million is probably in the ballpark.

Get back to us a year from now.
    That's pretty funny, if it wasn't so sad that people think this way. Those knucklehead projections have already been skewed WAY down, and the actuals STILL aren't coming close. But what about my question of a bet? I'll even let you take it down to 400,000. Yeah, I didn't think so.....Doom and Gloomers that watch MSNBC and read the NYT still think the Apocalypse is right around the corner, as always. SMDH....
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Now it's come to a sick and depressing wager? Simply because you don't agree with someone or your right to recreate in the place of your choosing during a pandemic?

1 million or 100,000. It's all the same and before it's all over we will all know someone personally that is close to us that will die from covid19. I heard that on Fox News.