? re White Rim supported trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

? re White Rim supported trip

hi! I hope to be back in Moab in early Nov. My wife is interested in the white rim , looks like no tours are offered in Nov and I think we would max out at about 30-40 miles per day so we would need to camp a night or two. Any suggestions?

Should we just rent a jeep and make base camp and ride/explore from there?

Any chance the TWE would be doable in early Nov?

Your Best Friend
    TWE will almost certainly be out. 30-40 miles a day equals a three day WR trip. I would recommend against the base camp idea, there really isn't one area that'd be worth doing out and backs from. It's all beautiful though and if your wife has her heart set...well. Are both of you in decent riding shape? If so, it's actually pretty straightforward to do the whole thing in one day. All dirt road with three distinct, major climbs. If you want more details, message me and we can talk you through it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    We did White Rim over Thanksgiving one time. Keep in mind that it gets very cold at night down there. It was in the 20's every morning. No fires are allowed. Our propane stove wouldn't even light until we warmed it up.

Also, of course, the days are short, so you need to have something to keep you busy for the 13 hours when the sun isn't shining.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Piggybacking on this thread as I have never done the White Rim and will be riding it at the very end of September. 2 nights, Potato Bottom on night 1 and White Crack on night 2, I gather that CCW is NOT the way most bikers do it, so I'm wondering if we're crazy? Some of the people in our group are not hard core bikers, so I'm just trying to gauge what the riding is like, etc.

Any general advice? I know that we could have blazing hot days and cold nights (we're not new to the desert). But I don't know if there are specific things we should be prepared for.

Is there a good mile-by-mile guidebook? Or online resource? I've searched a little, but haven't found anything yet.

Your Best Friend
    CCW is by far the best way to do it. Your major climbs (minus the last climb up Shafers) will all be done by the halfway mark. It's enjoyable either way. Just enjoy the views.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    CCW is by far the best way to do it. Your major climbs (minus the last climb up Shafers) will all be done by the halfway mark. It's enjoyable either way. Just enjoy the views.
    completely agree. It's great both ways. Nothing crazy about it. End of Sept is a great time to do it.