rainy-cold weekend... I wanna ride!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

rainy-cold weekend... I wanna ride!!!

hey guys,

so the weather is not 'ideal' for mtb'ing... who cares...

where can i go riding (with proper gear) on a weekend like this one in the slc area?

should I avoid riding so that i don't ruin the trails with my tires? sorry about this basic question, I started biking a couple months ago and don't know what proper trail ettiquette is during the winter months.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding in really muddy conditions is bad form

Because it hammers the trail. The BST is still rideable and not muddy at all yesterday when I road from city creek to the Zoo. If you want to ride in the winter you better get a road bike. We are all preying for this global warming thing to take off so we don't have mini ice ages everyyear anymore, but until the government gets that going (bueracrats are so slow) we have to deal with the Ice age every 6 months.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Dr. Pepper drinker
    5th @%#^$ weekend in a row of rain, looks like it will be wonderful again all next week when we're all stuck back at work!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    LOL>>>

yeah, we will be in the 60's all week, but like catch22 said, I bet you that next weekend will be crappy again...

I guess that I will have to go riding a couple days after work.

BTW, today's looking good (blue skies on a sunday?!?). Hopefully the snow will melt so that I can go riding in the afternoon.

Thanks for the info regarding when to/not to ride. It makes sense to avoid riding wet/muddy trails.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    BST is usually pretty "wet friendly" except for the section between Dry Gulch and Bobsled. The dark gray/black dirt there has a high clay content and the mud will stop your wheels from turning. It also ruts horribly easily there, so it's a good idea to avoid that part of the trail if it's soft.

Pipeline is almost exclusively gravel and hard pack from the West end viewpoint up to Church Fork (about mid-pipeline where the Grandeur Peak trail intersects), so that's a nice wet day ride.

And ANY trail is ridable if it's frozen.

JMH

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    BST is usually pretty "wet friendly" except for the section between Dry Gulch and Bobsled. The dark gray/black dirt there has a high clay content and the mud will stop your wheels from turning. It also ruts horribly easily there, so it's a good idea to avoid that part of the trail if it's soft.

Pipeline is almost exclusively gravel and hard pack from the West end viewpoint up to Church Fork (about mid-pipeline where the Grandeur Peak trail intersects), so that's a nice wet day ride.

And ANY trail is ridable if it's frozen.

JMH
    Guessing the quarry trail is probably a little snowy today? I was thinking of giving that a shot later.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member

Corner Canyon/Lambert Park

Trails are made out of sand, you can ride them in a downpour and not mark up the trail at all. I ride them all winter long as well, Clarkes trail in draper is a newer trail, and higher elevation, so I stay off it when its wet, tends to rut...All others in the draper area are good to go in the wet though..

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    hey all,

thanks for the advise. I did BST today and it was one of the best rides i've been on!!! from the zoo almost to the bobsled and back (my muddy wheels stopped me right before the last climb at the end!!!).

I'm also familiar with clark's and all the ones in corner canyon, as I live in the area and frequent those at least once a week.

next time around I will try the pipeline... sounds like fun.

ride on!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    "should I avoid riding so that i don't ruin the trails with my tires?" Your question was answered to the affirmative, and that specific section of trail was indicated to be avoided.
    Yet, your rode it anyway?

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I was thinking the same thing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    well, I would not call it ride it, since I had to walk around the few sections with mud...

if the trail was muddy, I was getting off the bike and walking around the area...

it was more like a mix between riding and hiking, but I still had a great time.

all the rocky sections were awesome...!!!

goo
    Mar 2006
    I'm prolly going to open up a can of worm's, but this time of year your not going to do any real damage to the trails. It's so late in the season that things will stay fairly wet for the next month or so until the snow covers things and the trails freeze up. When the thaw occurs in the spring it will change the trail and get rid of the ruts. It's just like in the farm feilds you have to pick rocks in the spring because the spring thaw brings them to the surface. In my opinion you actually do more damage going around the mud, because you making the trail wider. I want to stress the point that this is only during the real late biking season before winter. I completely agree that when spring comes and things are drying out it is not the time to be on the muddy trails because with the dry climate out here, you create ruts which will be around the whole summer cause we don't have the moisture to smooth things out. This was evident on the Crest trail right before the spin. Riders rode there to early in the season, rutted it out and was sketch all summer long.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    if the trail was muddy I was getting off the bike. How did your wheels become so muddy?

Members who have read this thread: 0