Rainbow Rim Trail...One day trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rainbow Rim Trail...One day trip?

I've been to the SW Utah area to ride 8-10 times and always read about the Rainbow Rim Trail juts a few hours away but have never been out there. I have the last weekend of September free so I'm thinking about going out there via Hurricane. I was going to camp until I read a posting from a St G local that says he does it as a day trip. Now I'm thinking I may give that a try myself so I can get back to getting more riding time in on the mesas.

Has anybody ever done this as a day trip? Any advice?
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 08-21-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    The camping is probably better than the riding. The trail is more about the views. The AZ trail on the east rim offers some more interesting riding as well as more compelling loop options, albeit with roads. The turn is the same as that for the Rainbow Rim TH's, just head east from Demotte Park instead. There's also good dispersed camping on that side as well. That is, if you decide to camp. Otherwise, expect a 2 hour drive minimum from Gooseberry and vicinity.

Your Best Friend
    I do it as a day trip. Very easy and the trail is a blast. Two+ hours from downtown Hurricane. Go to Locust point, the central parking area. The South end of the Rim is the better section IMO. Go South from Locust pt, when you get to the end, turn around and head back. If you have time, go North from the point as far as you'd like. Each direction is +-8 miles one way.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I do it as a day trip. Very easy and the trail is a blast. Two+ hours from downtown Hurricane. Go to Locust point, the central parking area. The South end of the Rim is the better section IMO. Go South from Locust pt, when you get to the end, turn around and head back. If you have time, go North from the point as far as you'd like. Each direction is +-8 miles one way.
    I expected that you would be along eventually. I tried to e-mail Monte thru the company website but never heard back. Now that I have somebody going out with me, we're going to do two days up there on the rim. The guy going with me hasn't been to Sedona so we may go there on the way back home.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    I'm sorry he didn't get back with you. I'm sure you'll have fun. It is a beautiful area. Keep an eye out for the Kaibab squirrel. They are black and white (almost look like a skunk) and only live on that plateau.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah