Rain Effect on Moab Trails??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rain Effect on Moab Trails??

So I'll be there next week from Austin, TX and have been watching the weather forcast and there are a few days with 30-60% chances of rain. Now in Austin, it won't rain unless it's 90-100% chance and when it does, most trails are completely unrideable for at least 1 day. If it does rain, what would still be rideable? Doing a little planning ahead!

Thanks!!!!

Team Fearless Descender
    Like wise, coming out from Los Angeles, and will be there Sun - Thurs of next week. Praying to the MTB Gods for light or no rain over the next few days.

Info is most welcome.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Amasa Back is definitely rideable in the rain or wet. I rode it in pouring rain once. Watch out for instantaneous massive flash waterfalls!

I just rode Porcupine rim covered in snow and mud and tons of little puddles and streams of water. If you don't mind getting wet, it's rideable. There's not much worry about trail damage when 15 jeeps and 10 dirt bikes pass you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't be such a wuss Phil. Just bring your scuba gear.

Besides the slick ground will just make it easier to drag your broken, bleeding, sorry ass off the trail and back to town.

Love, MoonDog

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast
    Don't be such a wuss Phil. Just bring your scuba gear.

Besides the slick ground will just make it easier to drag your broken, bleeding, sorry ass off the trail and back to town.

Love, MoonDog
    I will destroy you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Wink Bring It ***** !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kill phil
    I will destroy you!

Your blood will spill on the red soil and rocks of Moab.

Bring It !!!!!!!!

Live to Ride!
    Alright.... riding the white rim near Moab last fall we got into some serious rain. The problem that I had was the sand and clay getting combined into the joints of the FS frame, was bad news. I would avoid the wet conditions there in the Moab area if you can, but the wet is not horrible there, just worse with the clay and sand getting mixed causes trouble.

Good luck with your rides!
    *** ride it again!

Bored Carp
    White Rim is a bit different in terms of how rain would affect rideability.

One of the best rides I have ever had on Porc was in the rain (same day as the famed 24, i mean, 8 hours of Moab). Just ask the local shops what will be rideable. Slickrock isn't actually slick in most cases (unless there is a lot of oil on it).

You will wet sand any part of your bike that you touch by the end of the ride. Expect some high-polish, through-the-paint wear. You will also get sand into every pivot and crevice (yours and your bikes).
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Seems like you're coming out here regardless of the conditions, so be prepared for anything and enjoy it. If you can bike it, rent a jeep and enjoy it.
    It's not an adventure until someone BLEEDS!

Members who have read this thread: 1