Quick stop in SLC- Mtbr.com

May 2008

Quick stop in SLC

Hello all. I'm planning a stopover in SLC on my way up to Idaho. I was looking at the trails in the surrounding area and was just curious if anyone had suggestions about what one trail to hit. So far I'm leaning towards bobsled but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bobsled is a great choice for a quick ride - usually takes a little over an hour with a good climb to get to the enterance to the downhill section.

Another good ride just north of SLC is Mueller Park in Bountiful - great scenery and on the top half you will not run into many people.

Another really fun ride on the south west end of the valley is Yellow Fork in Herriman - fairly long climb with a few steep sections to get to the top but coming down is a BLAST.

Another easy ride is at the bottom of Little Cottonwood called Quarry Trail - will take you about an hour to finish.

Tuesday night at 6PM they have the Solitude Full Throttle Race series - this is the last week of the series and it is a blast.

Take your pick.

May 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I need to check those others out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you have the time I would do Mueller Park - it is a great ride.

If you do it make sure you do the upper section too - the top of the lower section ends at a huge rock - just go back on the trail about 50 feet and there is a fork to the left that will take you another 2-3 miles up to the top.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I vote for Muller too

Bobsled is a great spring and fall ride, but there is no shade and the climbing is stout making for a tough day. Muller is in the shade of the trees, at higher elevation, and a mellower grade making it one of my fav summer day rides. Does not have the screaming DH fun of bobsled, but is alot cooler.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

May 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I was planning on coming across I-70 and enjoying the view on my way. Thanks to your tips, I think I'll come across Wyoming and save an hour and a half and drop down and ride Mueller. If I can ever return the favor here in the Colorado front range let me know,

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    how much time do you have? While I like Mueller and Bobseld, if I could only ride one trail, it would hands down be the Crest to Mill D in Big Cottonwood Canyon. It's pretty much the favorite in the Wasatch Front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you are coming on I-80 you wouldn't be dropping down to ride Mueller, which is north of 80 and east of I-15 (bountiful bench). Anyway, I live 5 minutes from Mueller and its a great week day, after work ride, but like matamua said, the Crest is the way to go. I also like Mid Mountain. Basically my vote would be to take i-80 and stop by and ride Park City area trails.

Team Sanchez
    I would ride the Crest to Mill D like matamua said. Mueller has way too much foot traffic. I rode it a few weeks ago, and just couldn't get any flow on the way down because of all the hikers and dogs on the trail.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006
    @ awful biker -

When are you coming to SLC? Is it just you, or do you have a group? I'll likely be riding the Crest on Monday w/ my brother in law, and if our schedules jive, maybe we could ride.

May 2008
    @ matamua. I actually wont be there until the 16th. The plan is to hit SLC area about two or three in the afternoon. I'm sure thats the hottest part of the day but so be it. I was planning on just hitting one trail late Saturday night but after looking at some of these other recommendations, I think I'll also hit one early Sunday morning before heading up to Idaho. Thanks again for all of the replies, I can't wait to check out a couple of these.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by awful biker
    @ matamua. I actually wont be there until the 16th. The plan is to hit SLC area about two or three in the afternoon. I'm sure thats the hottest part of the day but so be it. I was planning on just hitting one trail late Saturday night but after looking at some of these other recommendations, I think I'll also hit one early Sunday morning before heading up to Idaho. Thanks again for all of the replies, I can't wait to check out a couple of these.
    As the 16th is an even day, I would take the time to ride the crest down to Desolation to Mill creek to Little Creek to Pipeline trail as MTB are not allowed in Mill creek on Odd Days and is one hell of a long mostly downhill ride. And at 9,000 - 10,000 ft, it won't be hot at 2PM!
    But you will need to shuttle it. I may have the time on Saturday, so if you want to go PM me.

As for Sunday morning - I would ride Dry creek to Bobsled (takes about an hour) as this trail is to hot to ride any other time of day (I guess if you have a bike light you could do it after the sun has gone down).

Members who have read this thread: 0