Question Regarding St. George Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question Regarding St. George Area

Forgive me if this has been covered in the past. My family and I have never been there as we usually go to Fruita or Moab. But, could someone tell me where there is some good tent camping? My kids are still pretty young and biking is not a huge priority but we'll have them. I would rather stay away from the more popular camping close to bike trails if that is the case. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The campgrounds in Zion, Snow Canyon, & Red Cliffs are all nice family camping spots (paid).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    The campgrounds in Zion, Snow Canyon, & Red Cliffs are all nice family camping spots (paid).
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Thanks MFSHOP. Is there any other camping you could suggest that was a bit more secluded for tent camping and not "RV" type campgrounds? Even nice areas of BLM land would be cool where you did not have to go too far for water.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sorry, don't know many spots close to water, other than mosquito cove on the way to zion. But I wouldn't call that a nice or secluded spot. Camping up on the goose or little creek is nice, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

FWIW, red cliffs & snow canyon have tent spots that are quiet & feel secluded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would throw in a second vote for Snow Canyon. Although it's a pay campground with pavement and flushers, you are close to town and alot of the trails. The kids can climb all over the rocks in camp and there is great hiking that they will love too. Second choice would def be Red Cliffs for the same reasons. We go camping there in the fall and spring for fun and we live here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks so much you guys. I will definitely check them out.

I'd rather be biking...
    Red cliffs rec area has tent camping for just a handful of spots, near a small creek and has toilets, hiking, biking. It's in a small canyon with some trees, It's more shaded and green then snow canyon but still has red rocks out ur tent door. Prospector is just a couple miles away and although i never have road the connector trail, your actually suppose to be able to ride from ur tent straight onto singletrack to head up to the cottonwood trailhead

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddujnitsud
    I would throw in a second vote for Snow Canyon. Although it's a pay campground with pavement and flushers, you are close to town and alot of the trails. The kids can climb all over the rocks in camp and there is great hiking that they will love too. Second choice would def be Red Cliffs for the same reasons. We go camping there in the fall and spring for fun and we live here.
    Crap. Snow Mountain is full over spring break. Sounds like there may be quite a few people flocking to the area.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quail Creek State Park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Agree with Red Cliffs, we've camped there once and go hiking there with the kids several times a year. Great for little kids with some fun rocks to play on that keep the kids busy. Second would deffinately be Snow Canyon, it really is an amazing place with some of the most interesting hikes. From red rock to lava caves to white sandstone and some pretty cool very fine red sand dunes that kids would love.

Members who have read this thread: 0