mtbr member

Question Re: dumbing down Slick Rock

I have two videos that will help explain my question.
    The first, from Singletrack Sampler, shows a short climb after a wash, on the way back to the car at time 9:28.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z2l3Ma75Ck&t=289s

This is a step I always found challenging, but could usually do it on my first try.

This is the same step about 2 summers later and now it seems quite easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy0mchKdXAQ

Has this been chopped down to make it easier? They already knocked down an off camber step in the opposite direction to make it easier, and I'm wondering if anyone has info on this.

I haven't gotten that much better!

mtbr member
    I don't know the answer but as evidenced by those videos, your momentum alone carries you 2/3 of the way up that obstacle. I've only ridden that trail one time and they was only one climb I didn't make due to a bad approach. I went back and re-did the climb and motored right up. Besides, if the Singletrack Sampler can ride the feature, it can't be that hard. That guys a rolling wreck looking for a place to happen.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quick answer: no.

Longer answer: they have no reason to - nobody is complaining that it's too hard. They also have no budget for it - heck, they can barely manage to keep the white lines painted. Plus, all the budget money for the past while has gone into campground improvements, not trails.

What's really going on is:
    - erosion. The "rock" is just sand - it chips away and wears really quickly
    - motos use the trail too, which breaks off protrusions on a climb like that
    - wind & rain moves around the sand (which can make it easier or harder)
    - plus, bikes are getting a whole lot better than they used to be

I haven't seen any changes in that climb - or in fact anywhere up in sand flats - that aren't really minor and due to erosion.

(now, they DID dumb down the entrance to Hell's Revenge.... but that's a jeep thing)

mtbr member
    Yeah, I can't remember where I read it (maybe the moab trails page? Facebook? ) but they did contract with someone to "dumb" it down. As I recall, the reasoning was that a significant number of moto's were bypassing this spot (wooly wash) as it had become more difficult over time, and were creating an unauthorized go-around. Also, I think they realized after the fact that they may have dumbed it down to much, but its hard to make the rock grow back
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Johnnyspoke:
    What a shame!
    Maybe this one is erosion, maybe not. In the opposite direction they did, in fact, go in and destroy an off camber step for the reason you describe. That was done several years ago due to motorcyclists bypassing into protected territory.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    The history of the trail is that it was originally a motorcycle trail. I guess some riders found that either too difficult or maybe someone crashed/ got hurt/ complained? Either way the trail was modified by the local moto group, Ride With Respect a couple years ago. While I found it irritating too at first one must remember that it was their trail first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    The history of the trail is that it was originally a motorcycle trail. I guess some riders found that either too difficult or maybe someone crashed/ got hurt/ complained? Either way the trail was modified by the local moto group, Ride With Respect a couple years ago. While I found it irritating too at first one must remember that it was their trail first.
    I'm kind of chuckling....as I begin to realize how selective my outrage (minor, in this case) can be. I started climbing almost 50 years ago, when everything was "Trad" climbing, you belayed around your waist and you actually used the Bowline knot. And yet, I find it pretty nice to get on bolted routes, now, with my wife using a belay device. Talk about "dumbing down"!

But you're right, I remember now that it was "Ride with Respect" that went crazy out there.