Question About Moab Bike Tours- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Question About Moab Bike Tours

So the wife has given me clerence to book a Moab bike tour next year, on account of me being old (50).

as some background, I am 50, somewhat healthy although I probably carry 25 extra pounds, I commute to work (35 k round trip) in all season, but winter......my bike is a rocky mtn altitude 730. I would classify myself a an intermediate + rider, I have enough skills, but can recognize my limits and typically ride somewhat conservatively as I broke my arm last yr and don't want a repeat.

in looking at vids of the riding around Moab it looks like there are a lot of places where the trail is within feet of a canyon with a long drop. Is the riding really this way? I'd like to have some wiggle room in case I make a mistake or lose my balance.

i was looking at a tour with the scared ride, any comments on this outfit? Or any recommendations for tour companies?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I rode at Moab for the first time last spring as an intermediate 61 y.o. 6 days of riding and we never went near to cliff edge. Just research and choose wisely: Bar M, Klondike , Klonzo, Slickrock - plenty of rides without exposure. However "scared rides" is relative, there's plenty of places to be scared without cliff exposure ;-)

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I live in Moab, never heard of Scared Rides....... A lot of the photos depicting our trails are taken to maximize the view and extreme terrain, that's not to say there aren't cliffs, but the majority of trails do not involve renewing you life insurance policy. Most of the local bike shops have guides , if you want to go that route, or you can get maps from them and guide yourself at your pace.
    I would be more concerned with falling into cactus that off a cliff edge :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    pesky ipad - i was typing too quick - name of tour company is sacred ride:

here is link: The Best of Moab and Fruita | Sacred Rides

i was thinking of going tour comapny route as i don't think i can get my usual riding partner to go with me

Desert Seeker
    I'd suggest checking out Rim Tours Mountain Biking | Rim Tours | Moab, Utah, Colorado, Arizona. Great organization that is locally owned and has been around since 1985. They can show you lots of easier to intermediate trails like those at Dead Horse Point, Klondike Bluffs and the Moab Brands areas. No crazy exposure in any of these areas. They supply you with full suspension Santa Cruz bikes and an experienced guide. Either 1/2 day or full day tours and either group or private options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have used Western Spirits tours before and they were excellent. You should give them a call and ask about routes they offer. They are a local comp. and have been around for many years.

Desert Seeker
    Western Spirit does multi-day camping tours only I believe whereas Rim Tours does both day tours and multi-day tours. Check out either to suit your needs.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Okay, I looked at their website, definitely not local and probably don't employ people that have local knowledge. Booking with this type of company is kinda like me offering to take you to Mexico just because I can help you get around. By booking with a Moab company as suggested by others, you get more experienced guides, your money stays in the local economy that helps subsidize Trail Mix, who builds and maintains the trails, and you may ride trails much better than the " standard" ones this company takes you on. I also suspect you will pay less for a better experience. So in a way you are investing in getting a better experience the next time you ride out here......because you will come back 😊

Your Best Friend
    Sacred Rides isn't local but they do have local guides who work for them as contactors. Not saying how their tours are one way or another.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I'd give a look at Solfun bike tours. They are locally owned and operated, I've heard good things about the company from their guides and they will cater your trip to your needs. Nope, I don't get a commission 😄

pedlr
    Solfun sold to Magpie tours. Mike and Maggie. You can have absolute confidence, I know them well. You will be very pleased. I have no financial relationship with them, this is just a tip.
    Rim tours is great too.
    I dont think Western spirit does the kind of deal you are looking for, but if they do, they are very customer service oriented and a wonderful company to deal with. Again, no financial interest.
    Last edited by moabman; 12-05-2014 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Unless you are dead set on riding with some people or like the idea of a tour you can visit utahmountainbiking.com and download nearly all the GPX tracks for the entire area. I just loaded the GPX into my garmin and off I went. It's about impossible to get lost out there. Signs are everywhere.

I have only been riding MTB for a few years now and I don't feel my abilities are very good but I was able to navigate all but a few places I chose to walk through in the Amasa Back area. Capt Ahab was awesome and you can roll about everything there. I will say that it was super nice to have my dropper post because I'm not much into riding out drops in unfamiliar terrain and having the seat out of the way is a fool proof way of rolling everything up there.

I was riding some exposed area but not once did I ever feel like I was in any danger of going over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    Unless you are dead set on riding with some people or like the idea of a tour you can visit utahmountainbiking.com and download nearly all the GPX tracks for the entire area. I just loaded the GPX into my garmin and off I went. It's about impossible to get lost out there. Signs are everywhere.

I have only been riding MTB for a few years now and I don't feel my abilities are very good but I was able to navigate all but a few places I chose to walk through in the Amasa Back area. Capt Ahab was awesome and you can roll about everything there. I will say that it was super nice to have my dropper post because I'm not much into riding out drops in unfamiliar terrain and having the seat out of the way is a fool proof way of rolling everything up there.

I was riding some exposed area but not once did I ever feel like I was in any danger of going over.
    I would have disagreed with your 20 years ago, but now there are so many people and so many signs it is almost impossible to get lost. However, it is still possible to get hurt riding alone and lay there for a long time, especially in the off season. Might be better for someone who has never been there to find a tour. Another option, and a *great* one, IMHO, is to go out during Outerbike, or the Poison Spider Spring Thaw, or The Halloween festival.

The Thaw is March 6-8, and there is now going to be a Spring Outerbike March 13-15. If you could swing 10 days out there, going from March 6-15 would be completely awesome. Six days of demos and shuttles, four days to do stuff on your own. That would rock. On top of that, the Moab Skinny Tire Festival is March 14-17.

Damn, Moab is going to be a zoo that week. Sign me up!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Yep, Magpie Tours or Rim Tours, can't go wrong.