PSA - Old Rampage site threatened to close; oil and gas leases- Mtbr.com
    ride more.
    Nov 2004

PSA - Old Rampage site threatened to close; oil and gas leases

Dont want to make this political, but to those who care about the old Rampage site, or about preventing oil and gas companies from drilling, polluting, etc. near National parks, the old Rampage site may be set to be leased to the highest bidder for oil and gas development.

The St. George field office of the BLM is accepting public comment until February 10, 2017. Contact information for those in charge is here:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Information about the potential leases, for those interested, is here: https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-..._Gas_FONSI.pdf

If this moves you in any way, send some emails.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I've tried to find a map. It wasn't where OTE Hurricane said it would be.

The Kolob Road corridor is almost a park. Besides the first Rampage site, remember we have three sites now, that is a major camping area along the creek. I stay at Virgin River RV Resort and wouldn't be happy about oil smells and drilling noises.

I heard that the Flying Monkey Trail would be endangered. Not that I'll ever have the skill to ride it but nice for others to have available.

We live with oil drilling near Moab and some of my favorite trails are along Highway 313 and Gemini Bridges Road where the wells are.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Map is here: http://suwa.org/app/uploads/St.-Geor...Parcel-Map.pdf

Again, I know SUWA doesn't get lots of love sometimes from mountain bikers, but the facts are still facts.

Would be a shame to lose this spot and trails like flying monkey. And it would be a shame to jack this area imo. It isn't just drilling - it is all that comes with it, such as heavy truck traffic, noise, groundwater pollution, etc.

Public comments to the BLM can be sent to the above email addresses.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Certainly the best location to come under fire from just about everyone but Trump's team and Utah politicians. I wonder if the BLM is setting this up to fail just so they can tell the politicians that they are trying.

Still, thinking of making a deal isn't all that bad an idea. What if they used low profile pumpjacks, left the water table alone, if there is one there, and to get drilling permits had to fix up those campsites with quality toilets and showers.

Maybe they could be forced to line drilling towers up so when they are done we'll have a chair lift to the top of the mesa! Imagine the trail system from there down!

OK, trying to be optimistic.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Your Best Friend
    If there's oil or gas there, I say go for it. That area is mostly out of sight. The pumps aren't noisy and they generally keep a low profile. The pumps I've seen have a small footprint and don't block access to anything.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    If the lease is approved, the area would be closed to mountain biking, including the Flying Monkey trail. That would be too bad. That is a one of a kind trail. Granted, Grafton is pretty fun, but nothing I am aware of in southern Utah even comes close to the technical challenge and exposure of Flying Monkey.

Though I don't ride it these days nearly as I much as I used to or wish that I could, I know it gets ridden by others, and it would be nice to have it available when I am able to get to southern Utah for a riding trip.

I know you live down there now, and am glad that you are less concerned. However, I wonder whether you understand the full scope and effect of these leases if they are approved. If you know something I don't, I would love to hear a more positive spin on this.

Your Best Friend
    I honestly don't get into the minutiae of this stuff. I do know that no one here is worked up about it, to include a very nearby resident that I know. I can't see them shutting down that trail from an oil lease. I am probably wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its part of a short sided effort to sell public land to offset debt. Once its gone its gone.

House bills HR621 and HR622

Your Best Friend
    Thought I'd add a recent development to this thread:

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc.../#.WTHGn8ZMHgA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk