PSA - Booby Traps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

PSA - Booby Traps

Riding Moose tonight we encountered 50-100 purposely placed branches and such to try and prevent people riding the trail. Also several large boulders were put into the trail. They started part way down, so we came into them with some speed. At first we just thought there was some blow down, but it was definately man (a$$hole) made. Some of them were placed in such a way as to try and cause injury to riders. For example, obstacles on the ground to distract you and then head height stuff to take you to the ground. Worse still, there were several sharp and thick branches placed in such a way to spear a rider coming down the trail. Usually at neck or head height This continued for enough of the ride and pissed me off enough that it pretty much ruined my ride. One blockade did cause a sprained wrist in the group, but it could have been much worse. We cleared the trail but I would be on alert, the person may try again.

If you don't know the trail I speak of, I'm sorry, but I won't post directions here unless I hear from the builders that this is a fully legit trail. I'm pretty sure it is on public lands and really just a series of game trails anyways, but I don't know for sure.

Also, on a different note, someone has done some good stuff up top (improving the dirt jumps and adding a berm) but they also dumbed down the trail by removing several logs and adding small branches to help get over the largest logs. It adds flow and increases speed (except if you have to stop for a spear in the trail) but that was not the intent of the original trail builders, from my understanding. Please don't do this. The trail was built by some really good riders who were looking to build a fairly safe but hard trials style trail. Please add, but don't remove challenges. I replaced some of the large logs which were removed but with everything else, I didn't take the time to fix all of the challenges which were removed.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The feature improvement, ie jumps, new drop, berm were not done by the same people that dumbed down the other stuff. In fact, some of the dumbed down stuff has already been ripped out by the people responsible for the improvements.

This is a total bummer to hear about your ride though phatfreeheeler. Not sure what is going on or why anyone would be going out of their way to mess with that trail. Perhaps it's time to get very, very quiet about its existence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    The feature improvement, ie jumps, new drop, berm were not done by the same people that dumbed down the other stuff. In fact, some of the dumbed down stuff has already been ripped out by the people responsible for the improvements.
    That makes more sense. It's crazy how much the trail gets changed in the 2 weeks since I last rode it. I wonder if a simple sign 100 feet in from the top would stop people dumbing stuff down. It still needs a bit more work to get it back to how it was, difficulty wise.

Being quiet is probably a wise direction.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Not sure if this is related, but last year we found evidence of someone salting deer up there. Could be that there is someone is engaged in some not-so-legal activities and wants to cut down on traffic.

JMH

Bored Carp
    Let us never mention this trail again! Seriously. Call it the Trail-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Th first rule of Moose Club: Don't talk about Moose Club.

JMH-What you are saying makes a lot of sense, hunting season is ramping up right now. The timing seems right, and salting is illegal during the hunt (according to a coworker who is a hunter, I will fully admit I know absolutely nothing about hunting).

I am thinking someone definitely doesn't want other people up there, and they are going to pretty drastic lengths to keep people out. Be super careful up "there" wherever there is .

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshP
    salting is illegal during the hunt
    I don't see how you could hunt a deer without assaulting it. I guess they just do things differently on your side of the border.

mtbr member
    The trail that shall not be named is quite possibly in a nature preserve due to the large mammals that live there. For instance i believe that fishing is illegal at the beaver pond to protect their privacy.

There could easily be hikers that don't like us there.

I have seen hunters there too, it is even more likely that the hunters don't want us scaring off the smaller horn bearing mammals up there as well. Hunting season is apon us. I'm guessing these people are responsible for the boobytraps. That's their style. Their trained to kill!

I feel that the unknown trail should not be public knowledge anymore, there are plenty that know about it, enough to keep it from dissapearing. That is the reason that i made it aware to the public in the first place.

If someone here knows of someone in the BLM or whatever that can assist us in finding out if it is possible to make this an official trail then perhaps it is time.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    T

If someone here knows of someone in the BLM or whatever that can assist us in finding out if it is possible to make this an official trail then perhaps it is time.

WAFTA has made some good contacts, I believe. Perhaps they know someone who can help us to determine legality status?

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

May 2007
    Can someone please explain the logic of how making the trail a secret does anything? The person who put that stuff up there already knows about it. Making it a secret doesn't change that. By making it a secret you basically accomplish what that person set out to do... fewer mountain bikes on the trail. That is one way to kill a trail.
    Placing objects on the trail so as to injure someone deliberately, besides being evil, is most definietey illegal, no matter what the status of the trail is. Everyone who rides up there should take a camera and document the evidence before fixing it, if it happens again. That way if the person is ever caught their ass can go to jail.
    Basically that person needs to know that they can't intimidate people that way their actions didn't have any affect. If Krispy wants the trail to be a secret then it shall be...but I don't think it accomplishes much in the way of preserving the trail IMO.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Becoming secretive about a trail accomplishes LOTS of things. It cuts down on damage, it limits the amount of "cleaning" that gets done, and it goes a long way toward avoiding user conflicts. Since the status of this trail is perhaps questionable, and some people seem to be dumbing it down as quickly as others are developing cool additions, it makes a lot of sense to stop talking about it. Simply keeping quiet about it won't immediately change things, but in the long run it will help. There will always be guys that put in the hard labor to ensure that trail is fun to ride, even if only 30 people are riding it.

Kris also raises a valid point about the animals. I worry a bit about all those critters, and I would feel like a complete jerk if, for example, the stream at the bottom eventually got so blown out and muddy from constant bike traffic that the Moose didn't want to hang out there anymore.

Also, nobody put traps in before when far fewer people were riding the trail...

Okay, that's my two cents and my last post about this trail.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by AMMAROO
    Can someone please explain the logic of how making the trail a secret does anything? The person who put that stuff up there already knows about it. Making it a secret doesn't change that. By making it a secret you basically accomplish what that person set out to do... fewer mountain bikes on the trail. That is one way to kill a trail.
    Placing objects on the trail so as to injure someone deliberately, besides being evil, is most definietey illegal, no matter what the status of the trail is. Everyone who rides up there should take a camera and document the evidence before fixing it, if it happens again. That way if the person is ever caught their ass can go to jail.
    Basically that person needs to know that they can't intimidate people that way their actions didn't have any affect. If Krispy wants the trail to be a secret then it shall be...but I don't think it accomplishes much in the way of preserving the trail IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That sucks, I wouldn't be surprised if it were hunters. We rode past a few groups of hunters last fall and they did NOT look happy to see us.

mtbr member
    OK so lets all go up there and go 1/2 way down into the woods and dig a big pit. Then we can cover the pit with a tan tarp. Then we can cover the tarp with leaves. The we can carefully set a twelver of Coors in the center and a bag of beef jerkey hanging from a string from above....

Wait- we'll defenately catch some hunters but i like beer and jerkey too. Dang!

mtbr member
    Bah- let's just let those hunters do their thing. We'll have our trail back in a few weeks.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    We're gonna build a gap jump over the pit right?

mtbr member
    And while hitting the future gap jump over future pit while simultaneously grabbing a hunk of jerky and a can of coors without dabbing on the not-to-be-mentioned-again trail, will Von still offer $20 to the first one who does it?

None of the land manager contacts I know are responsible for that area. Probably need to just chill and once the hunting season is over it will quickly fade from the arrow and gun toting crowd's minds. But.... I think we should also try and confirm who is the responsible land manager.

Bored Carp
    Y'all are some of my favorite people.... this thread is making me laugh.

I know that the beef jerkey would work on JMH and Err, but I think we would have to upgrade the beer. The Prof is lured in for nothing less than a G+T in a Big Gulp cup.

Feb 2004

Seriously....

Smells like typical poacher (hunter). It is a major crime to lay down booby traps ( no offence intended to booby's) of any kind, let me repeat MAJOR CRIME. I suggest you formally file a report with Policia and forest service, be proactive here. In addition, if riders all chip in a few minutes every time they attend said trail and remove the items far enough away, the beer swillin fat bastards will soon stop booby trappin your trail. Game wardens and USDeforest, Beurau of Land Mismanagement all know this.

If they think they can keep you away from their poach area they will continue. If they see resistance they will generally poach elsewhere. Watch out closely for iron spikes as they have been places on trails before closer to the poaching fields.

Utard hunters are likely the Most MORONOUS of all state sanctioned gun totin pigs I have seen. Must be all the inbreeding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I wasn't going to post again in the thread concerning the trail that shall not be named, but you all crack me up. Thanks all

AMMAROO has a point, lots of traffic would keep the booby trappers out (or put in motion a major conflict - I was down for that yesterday ) As long as the extra traffic didn't dumb down the trail. Sorry no camera available yesterday. I fear for my camera on that trail. I still like the idea of a simple sign to educate the new riders of the trail. JMH - What water? It's dry as bone except for one small creek up higher.

Gap jump, gap jump, gap jump. Just make it small or I'll likely woose out and go around falling into the pit trying to snag the beer.

CSPRINGS - contacting police concerning a questionable trail sounds like a quick way to get it closed for real, even if someone is doing something far more illegal on that trail. If they cause serious harm my attitude would likely change. We did see two hunters near the bottom, but I believe they walked up from that end.

goo
    Mar 2006
    Phatfreeheeler, thanks for letting me know you guys were riding that day, even though the coiler is on a UPS truck to the UP right now. I almost gaurantee the hunters have done this, there is that compound of campers you can see from 80 and all the decoy deer and targets they have. I've decide not to ride "The Trail" during hunting season to avoid the rednecks not knowing the status of the trail. Being a redneck from Wisconsin and a hunter myself, I've encountered that same problem riding back in WI and when I was in school in the UP of Michigan too(the Edwards trail, that Phatfreeheeler used to ride when he was up there, got shut down because of the same reason). Actually most the trails we rode on public land were closed during hunting season. Generally the only way you can get them to stop is if the trail is sanctioned by some association that maintains it and there are signs up to show the hunters that a group is responsible for the trails and has the power to do something to them if the trail was damaged. If we try and fix things they will more than likely destroy them again and booby trap again, so I don't think retaliation is a good idea. It really sucks that the generally the hunters don't mix with the outdoors people. Alot of hunters build hunting blinds on public land and cut shooting lanes, which hurts the environment and is NOT legal, but us bikers don't go and rip down the blinds and plant trees in the shooting lanes to combat what they've done. Just my two cents, hopefully in time WAFTA and other organizations will have more power and be able to have more influence the hunters about this issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaugh
    Phatfreeheeler, thanks for letting me know you guys were riding that day, even though the coiler is on a UPS truck to the UP right now.
    DOH! We figured you were gone already!! Seriously, though...I was riding too, so we were sorta slow, regardless of the destruction of the boobie traps.

We'll have to ride when you get back.

Members who have read this thread: 0