proposed wilderness areas near ogden- Mtbr.com
    over researcher

proposed wilderness areas near ogden

How many of the riding trails would be affected if the wilderness proposal went through?

http://utah.sierraclub.org/ogden/Ogd...ilderness.html

mtbr member

Torn...

See quote below.

I'm torn on this one...I think that wilderness areas are important and would be great to have right out my back door. It looks like the spur trail out to Lewis Peak would not be affected. But....

No more biking on Indian trail. (Currently "not recomended", but man is it scary fun, and a great workout during low use hours)
    It looks like it might eliminate use of the new trails built on the West slope under Lewis Peak as well as the upper trail just north of Beus Canyon. (this is unclear from the map though)

"Aren't mountain bikes prohibited in Wilderness?

Yes. But the Sierra Club's proposed Wilderness boundaries are drawn to exclude all existing trails that are regularly used by mountain bikers: the Bonneville Shoreline trail, the Skyline and Lewis Peak trails, and the extensive trail system at Snowbasin. Existing trails within our proposed boundaries are steep, rough, and unsafe for shared use by bicyclists and pedestrians. Also, we believe that in order to offer a wide spectrum of recreational opportunities, Ogden needs some trails where hikers can go to find solitude and a slower pace."

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    "Aren't mountain bikes prohibited in Wilderness?

Yes. But the Sierra Club's proposed Wilderness boundaries are drawn to exclude all existing trails that are regularly used by mountain bikers: the Bonneville Shoreline trail, the Skyline and Lewis Peak trails, and the extensive trail system at Snowbasin. Existing trails within our proposed boundaries are steep, rough, and unsafe for shared use by bicyclists and pedestrians. Also, we believe that in order to offer a wide spectrum of recreational opportunities, Ogden needs some trails where hikers can go to find solitude and a slower pace."
    That's the problem right there. Who's judgement call is it?

Fartographer
    I agree with this: "Ogden needs some trails where hikers can go to find solitude and a slower pace."

But I also don't think that the Sierra Club should be dictating the terms and locations. They have their own agenda. IMBA is supposed to be working with the Sierra Club to make sure our needs are met. I think the real solution is to get wliderness redefined so that there is at least some mtb use allowed. I also like the odd even system that's used in Mill Creek. Designating days when bikes are allowed is a great solution - if the Sierra Club is willing to share, which they usually aren't.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Members who have read this thread: 0