Princess Di trail- Mtbr.com
    SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

Princess Di trail

Saw it on the map and figured I d give it a go.

the trail is quite overgrown and see barely any traffic, there are tons of switchbacks leading up from 80 to the ridge between Park City and Heber. The side from 3 mile canyon up is actually quite fun and would be an awesome ride from 3 mile canyon up to the top and back down again I would avoid the section that runs from the top of the ridge down to I8o, its extremely overgrown and has tons of unfun unrideable(at least for me) switchbacks.

the initial climb up from I80

Some parts of this climb are extremely dry and desert like

we even saw cacti

there are a couple sections of the trail that are extremely fun the green side was grown in but with more riding it would be tons of fun.

lonnie riding the 'no track'

should have GPS info sometime soon. the section from 3 mile Canyon up to the ridge is probably great late and early season as it mostly in a desert like environment. and maybe if more people ride it wont be so grown over.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report, I've wanted to give this a go for a while...just haven't made it.

mtbr member
    Did it at the end of last season. I think, as the summer wears on, it wont look so overgrown. The section towards I-80 gets a little more fun then...especially when the colors start up at the beginning of Sept. A good trail to hit when you're bored with some of the other stuff.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was planning to hit this up Thurs morning but ran out of time to get out... Even with the shrub oak etc in the non used areas.. It would probably be just me, recommendations on which way to run it?

Despite the recs to run it to and from 3 Mile, I was going to start over by Tollgate, pedal back I guess on the rail trail between the freeway... Dumb move or should I just follow the advice.. Any other comments on this trail?

I was out in this neighborhood last night around 8pm-ish and it was just drop dead gorgeous, I feel that it'd also be a killer evening ride too once things cool down a hair...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    you cant get from the rail trail to the promontory entrance without walking across I80, the trail has been the same for the past three years, over grown and the trail just disappears in some spots, one of the reasons being is you kinda have to ride it as an out an back or park a car at the bottom of tollgate canyon

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How is the descent on the Tollgate side, fun or not worth it and better out and back as well? I am into technical though, but also have a lot of fun on singletrack, dig long/flowy etc. Would probably be happy on it all...

Decent link I found...
    http://www.basinrecreation.com/Trail...ory_trail.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    its kinda up and down either direction, its technical in places, tight steep switchback, blind turns, rocky and rooty in spots. Just go ride it, it'll be a good expierence

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    How is the descent on the Tollgate side, fun or not worth it and better out and back as well? I am into technical though, but also have a lot of fun on singletrack, dig long/flowy etc. Would probably be happy on it all...

Decent link I found...
    http://www.basinrecreation.com/Trail...ory_trail.html
    The trail map lists it's rating as black, but it's nothing like John's, Sweenys. It's most technical features are flat and off camber switchbacks, with a few sorta steep climbs.
    After you top out from the canyon (north end) you'll find a machine built trail much like F Dog. I prefer to ride this trail as an out and back from north to south, and it's a sweet night ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0