Primitive camping near Vernal trails?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,645

    Primitive camping near Vernal trails?

    It sounds like there's some primitive camping on BLM land out by the McCoy Flats trails. Has anybody been there that can give a description (how much use does it get, can you ride from camp, any shade, accessible with 2wd)?

    Any other free and private camping options near trails in Vernal?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,449
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    It sounds like there's some primitive camping on BLM land out by the McCoy Flats trails. Has anybody been there that can give a description (how much use does it get, can you ride from camp, any shade, accessible with 2wd)?

    Any other free and private camping options near trails in Vernal?

    Thanks!
    There are a few spots with tall Junipers otherwise, zero shade. It's all very primitive, build your own firepit, etc. 2wd accessable. Some camp right in the parking lot, just expect to get woken up by me pulling in a 5am come spring. There's free camping all over. You could camp at or around the parking area of Red Mountain as well. There's good camping with lots of shade at the end of Dry Fork Canyon.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

  3. #3
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    McCoy flats is do-able, far from fancy. Windy, no shade as stated, but depending on time of year this could be a blessing.

    Easy access in just about any kind of vehicle.

    Photos of camping and riding here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169486...7604647165422/

    JMH

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18
    I'm planning on a trip out to Vernal at the end of May. Is there a place/shop/spring where I can fill up my water jugs for free, like the that shop in Moab? I'm not a huge fan of paying for water.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,449
    Quote Originally Posted by 01000010rian
    I'm planning on a trip out to Vernal at the end of May. Is there a place/shop/spring where I can fill up my water jugs for free, like the that shop in Moab? I'm not a huge fan of paying for water.
    Aside from the hose at my house, nothing comes to mind right now. If I'm in town, you could hit that. I got foot races a couple weekends in May though and then the oldest is graduating the end of May.

    My office (by KFC and Little Ceasar's) also has water spickets that I'd let you use if I'm around.

    I vaguely remember there being a hose at Altitude Cycle but not sure since I've never felt the need to use one. The run off at Dry Fork Canyon will probably still be going in May, you could always drive up there and get some water from the river and ride the Flume Trail while you're at it.

    I'll post up later if something else comes to mind.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 123ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    535
    How are conditions in Vernal these days? I know that many of the trails are March-November trails...but I have no idea if Vernal got pounded with snow like Moab and S. Utah this year.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    I went on a trip to Vernal last September and the trails were all fantastic. We camped at Mcoy Flat in a spot that was past the trailhead about a mile. It was all right, but not much shade or flat ground. I think a better option would be to pull up into the junipers on one of the side roads before the trailhead.

    We also rode in the Lapointe area and there looked to be good camping options there as well.

    Remember the Maine park in Dry Fork Canyon has water taps at the picnic pavilion, and the Flume Trail is a must ride in my book, so fill up your water jugs on the way back out.

    Altitude Cycle has a free bike wash station in the parking lot but I don't know if the water is potable. The owner of the shop, Troy, is a bundle of energy and really hooked us up with trail and camping info when we were there. He pointed us to the best trails, and they were some of the best I've ridden anywhere.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruinane
    Aside from the hose at my house, nothing comes to mind right now. If I'm in town, you could hit that. I got foot races a couple weekends in May though and then the oldest is graduating the end of May.

    My office (by KFC and Little Ceasar's) also has water spickets that I'd let you use if I'm around.

    I vaguely remember there being a hose at Altitude Cycle but not sure since I've never felt the need to use one. The run off at Dry Fork Canyon will probably still be going in May, you could always drive up there and get some water from the river and ride the Flume Trail while you're at it.

    I'll post up later if something else comes to mind.

    Awesome! Thanks, I'll PM you towards the end of May to see if you'll be around.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,449
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski
    How are conditions in Vernal these days? I know that many of the trails are March-November trails...but I have no idea if Vernal got pounded with snow like Moab and S. Utah this year.
    I just rode a couple trails today at the Springfield area (La Pointe trails). Cows made the beginning of the Flaming Homer very bumpy but there were only two spots that I would call muddy and they were very about a bike length long.

    Haven't ridden the McCoy Flats trails yet. My guess is they will be mostly ridable by next weekend. Spots with shade will likely be muddy or even still have snow on them but I'm guessing most trails will be good. Probably the first part of More Hoes and lots of parts of Fire Sale will have muddy spots. I'm guessing the rest will be mostly clear.
    Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    35
    Thanks for the update Ruinane, just got my bike ready to go for riding tomorrow! Dir-t if Ruinane isn't around when you head up this way let me know you can fill up at my place as well......Jim

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by jfeiro
    Thanks for the update Ruinane, just got my bike ready to go for riding tomorrow! Dir-t if Ruinane isn't around when you head up this way let me know you can fill up at my place as well......Jim
    Awesome, thanks for the offer! We'll be there the 2nd full week of May. I'll PM closer to that time if we think we'll need H2O.

    I plan to borrow a land ownership map from a friend to ID public lands before my trip but do you know if any of the ground north of Red Fleet (near the Jazz / Chro-Molly trailhead) is open for free camping? Will those trails be rideable then?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    35
    Trails should be ready to go by then at Red Fleet. I'm pretty sure you can camp out in that area but i'll double check and let you know for sure. Rode the springfield area today and all good to go in that area!

  13. #13
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Reputation: TwistedCrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,979
    *B*U*M*P*

    Any new beta on primitive camping options in or near McCoy Flat?

    Any other camping options in the surrounding hills - official, primitive or even just a hole in the ground with a soft floor and a parking space?

    I'm just looking for a basecamp for 3 days of ride till you puke Vernal singy track goodness.
    Last edited by TwistedCrank; 04-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NJTransplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    169
    Another bump. Work is sending me out to Salt Lake City and I"m driving out from the Denver area. Plan on stopping at McCoy flats to ride a bit on my way out and possibly camp.

    Any condition updates?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    35
    All clear and ready to ride!!

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.