Prices of motels in Moab during winter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Prices of motels in Moab during winter

I'm going down there earlier than usual this year, probably second week of March. Are the motels filling up again for the coming season by then (and prices have climbed) or is that time frame considered still winter (and rates are lower?). When do the rates officially skyrocket?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would imagine by that time rates are up full force. By the second week in march things are already busy in moab. In fact march-april are probably their busiest months. In the first week of march you have the moab skinny tire festival. I think they also have a half marathon in mid march that is a pretty big deal. You also have a lot of colleges on spring break in that early to mid march range. You can probably still find a room, but it probably won't be cheap.

You can always camp, slickrock campground is the best place to be anyway. If you can't camp, I know in august I've stayed in some of the primitive cabins for about $35 a night. No heat in them though, so they might be kinda chilly without a sleeping bag in march, I've seen mid march lows well below freezing up at the campground.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Camping is always good

Quote Originally Posted by ToddM
    I would imagine by that time rates are up full force. By the second week in march things are already busy in moab. In fact march-april are probably their busiest months. In the first week of march you have the moab skinny tire festival. I think they also have a half marathon in mid march that is a pretty big deal. You also have a lot of colleges on spring break in that early to mid march range. You can probably still find a room, but it probably won't be cheap.

You can always camp, slickrock campground is the best place to be anyway. If you can't camp, I know in august I've stayed in some of the primitive cabins for about $35 a night. No heat in them though, so they might be kinda chilly without a sleeping bag in march, I've seen mid march lows well below freezing up at the campground.
    I know the Slickrock Campground. I've stayed there at times, I've camped way outside Moab as well. I know there are other campgrounds in the Moab city area...can anyone speak from experience about these areas? I did a search on travelocity about rates in mid-February and mid-March--the rates at the Super Eight were $45, then $85! Supply and demand.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I know the Slickrock Campground. I've stayed there at times, I've camped way outside Moab as well. I know there are other campgrounds in the Moab city area...can anyone speak from experience about these areas? I did a search on travelocity about rates in mid-February and mid-March--the rates at the Super Eight were $45, then $85! Supply and demand.
    The camping out Kane Creek road is awesome. Even the scrubby sites on the river are nice. Moonflower sites are beautiful, and driving up Kane Creek past Amasa Back is rewarding.

That said...

All those sites will get a much later sunrise than the sites up on Sand Flats. I love them in the summer, but in mid-March (when I ALSO happen to be going ) I would rather get an extra hour or two of sun. See you up top!

JMH

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try Cottonwood Condos, 435 259-8897. That is where we have family and friends stay when they come and visit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I'm going down there earlier than usual this year, probably second week of March. Are the motels filling up again for the coming season by then (and prices have climbed) or is that time frame considered still winter (and rates are lower?). When do the rates officially skyrocket?
    rates go up in mid-march to account for the spring break volume... there are already a few hotels that have no availability the week of the 19th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

After February the skies the limit

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    rates go up in mid-march to account for the spring break volume... there are already a few hotels that have no availability the week of the 19th.
    I looked online on moabhappenings.com and checked their calendar and there's a lot going on in March! I used to get motel rooms with groups of friends a few years ago but have camped since then. When driving into town I see the parking lots full of travelers but didn't really know what they're paying these days--now I know a lot more than we used to, but that's really the only way to go if you have a large group. Not everyone wants to camp. It's actually kind of cool talking about my next trip there. See you all on the trails! It'll be nice riding before all the 4-wheelers tear up the trails at Jeep Safari at the end of March.

mtbr member
    From mid Feb on Moab will be packed with prime world class events. Good luck finding room for cheap.... and a camping spot.

Wyrm
    Bikeless Rider

Andykiller
    Dude, Moab gets busy on March 1st because the skinny tire festival is the first week of March and then the half marathon is in March. These events bring masses of pasty looking people. Thus, the hotels are charging the max price.

Trying a little
    slickrock campground all the way. Perfect unless you've got crunchie hippy phobia or you're one of those water wasting freaks who likes to shower once a day.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

SingleTrackSal

Redstone Inn...

Is a great place, I think I pay around $40/night in the off season, but then again, I never go to Moab in the 'on' season, always Nov/Dec. The Redstone is clean, folks that run the place are cool, and it's within staggering distance of the Moab Brewery. No hot tub though, so you'll have to go a'poachin'....

Andykiller

What hippies are good for?

Hippies are only good for traction. Believe me if you have to be around hippies for too much time, it will really suck. Moab has a lot of them.

chow

Members who have read this thread: 0