Porky rim Tuesday 4.30- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Porky rim Tuesday 4.30

Hi all. In Moab for the week. Looking to tag along on tuesday on Enchlida shuttle to where ever they are going to now. Have ridden 4 or 5 times before. Can offer decent mechanic and first aid skills. Looking to take early shuttle. Pm me if interested. Fun laps on Alaska and down mega steps at Klondyke today.
    Thanks
    Tom

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Have FUN!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    Hi all. In Moab for the week. Looking to tag along on tuesday on Enchlida shuttle to where ever they are going to now. Have ridden 4 or 5 times before. Can offer decent mechanic and first aid skills. Looking to take early shuttle. Pm me if interested. Fun laps on Alaska and down mega steps at Klondyke today.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Take warm clothes. It is supposed to be 50's and raining in town Tuesday, which means 40's and rain up at the LPS trailhead which is as far up as they are going right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Brrr. That sounds cold. May have to rethink timing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Poison Spider is now listing LPS as closed. You guys get some snow?

https://poisonspiderbicycles.com/moa...il-conditions/

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Snow probable higher in the mountains but probably an inch of rain in the last hour, I would cancel riding plans for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Switching to mag 7 to gemini then down through the brand. Weather permitting...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsiderider View Post
    Switching to mag 7 to gemini then down through the brand. Weather permitting...
    Inch of rain today + much more coming tomorrow.... both mag7 and brands are going to be a mud bog, and you'll destroy whatever trails you ride.

If you absolutely positively have to get out there..... maybe slickrock. Or Sovereign.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sunderland56 View Post
    Inch of rain today + much more coming tomorrow.... both mag7 and brands are going to be a mud bog, and you'll destroy whatever trails you ride.

If you absolutely positively have to get out there..... maybe slickrock. Or Sovereign.
    Im heading to Moab in a week. Last time I checked, forecast looked good. How long does it generally take for trails like TWE to dry out?

mtbr member
    We ran away bravely Sunday afternoon from North Klondike Bluffs trailhead camping. Were there Friday, and planned to stay thru Monday afternoon. We were able to dodge storm systems and get some rides in Friday afternoon (barely), Saturday, and Sunday morning. The thunderstorm over Moab and the La Sals Saturday night was spectacular from our vantage point up north. Sunday morning was OK, but then all hell broke loose. Huge downpour, crazy wind, turned the clay road we were camping down into soup. So much so, the camper tonge jack sunk into the clay, and we rolled off our blocks. We waited a few hours for the road to dry some, packed up and fled home east before the next system came in. Watching the skies blacken behind us, then watching the radar maps for the next 24 hours, we made the right call. If the people we were camped next to didn't leave shortly after us, they might still be stuck out there.

Rain scheduled for the next few days too - we were headed back this weekend, but doubt anything will be rideable anytime soon.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    Im heading to Moab in a week. Last time I checked, forecast looked good. How long does it generally take for trails like TWE to dry out?
    There really is no one rule, depends on where the trail is as far as geology and some of it is altitudinal ( is that a thing?) . Some trails are mainly sand and rock and are perfect after a rain , others, like Brand trails and Klonzo are mud bogs. With nice sunny days most will dry out in two days. TWE probably wont be open until mid June or July.
    In general, trails West of hwy 191 are Sandier, trails East are more dirt, hence muddier.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SAM313 View Post
    There really is no one rule, depends on where the trail is as far as geology and some of it is altitudinal ( is that a thing?) . Some trails are mainly sand and rock and are perfect after a rain , others, like Brand trails and Klonzo are mud bogs. With nice sunny days most will dry out in two days. TWE probably wont be open until mid June or July.
    In general, trails West of hwy 191 are Sandier, trails East are more dirt, hence muddier.
    Great to know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    We ran away bravely Sunday afternoon from North Klondike Bluffs trailhead camping. Were there Friday, and planned to stay thru Monday afternoon. We were able to dodge storm systems and get some rides in Friday afternoon (barely), Saturday, and Sunday morning. The thunderstorm over Moab and the La Sals Saturday night was spectacular from our vantage point up north. Sunday morning was OK, but then all hell broke loose. Huge downpour, crazy wind, turned the clay road we were camping down into soup. So much so, the camper tonge jack sunk into the clay, and we rolled off our blocks. We waited a few hours for the road to dry some, packed up and fled home east before the next system came in. Watching the skies blacken behind us, then watching the radar maps for the next 24 hours, we made the right call. If the people we were camped next to didn't leave shortly after us, they might still be stuck out there.

Rain scheduled for the next few days too - we were headed back this weekend, but doubt anything will be rideable anytime soon.
    Quite an adventure! Id better keep an eye on the forecast.

mtbr member
    Quite an adventure! Id better keep an eye on the forecast.
    My son and I were riding Klondike from the North side on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning, Amasa/Ahab was hot and dry at 82 degrees followed by a quick circuit on Rodeo, at 62 degrees when the clouds moved in. It can change fast, but we stayed dry.

Monday, we got in an 18.9 mile figure 8 at Navajo and still stayed dry, but then beat feet out of town ahead of some serious showers to the north.

I just looked at the Arches webcam and it looks beautiful.

Sometimes, down there you can dodge the storms by going to different areas....but then, I'm not camping out either.

Meanwhile, in Park City it's beginning to snow:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Porky rim Tuesday 4.30-snow-resize.jpg  

Last edited by MSU Alum; 05-01-2019 at 06:48 AM.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    The thunderstorm over Moab and the La Sals Saturday night was spectacular from our vantage point up north.
    That storm was pretty impressive from the patio at the Blu-Pig, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rode Slickrock trail today. Cool area and overall a good hard ride. Worth it for the views and silly steep downs you can ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice. Let us know how your other rides go.

mtbr member
    I expect the weather will have settled down by the time you get out here. TWE will be out of the question. LPS should be good, but there is a LOT of snow in the mountains. Everything else should be pretty good though. There may be additional storms, of course, but the seasons are pretty digital around here. The switch to summer will take one day.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I expect the weather will have settled down by the time you get out here. TWE will be out of the question. LPS should be good, but there is a LOT of snow in the mountains. Everything else should be pretty good though. There may be additional storms, of course, but the seasons are pretty digital around here. The switch to summer will take one day.
    Thanks for that. Kinda figured the whole The Whole Enchilada would be impossible, but one of the shuttle guys predicted TWE would be doable from Kokopelli down when I emailed about 10 days ago. Still hoping...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been riding out of Horse Thief Cg the last few days. All good. Bo mud. Took wife on ride down Getway to G bridges then made a later lap to mustang. Getaway. Bull run. Great escape. And out Gemini to Bar m for pick up. Good stuff.