Porcupine rim trail condition?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Porcupine rim trail condition?

We are headed to Moab tomorrow. We drove to St. George from Marquette Mi on Sat. Road Church rocks then Gooseberry (wow) and we are riding J.E.M today.
    How's the trail on Porc? we heard it's been torn up a little this year. Not that it would stop us from riding. Just woundering. Also, we were here 2 years ago and did Porc, Slick Rock, Gold bar?, and a couple of others I can't remember. We have one day we want to ride something new. Any ideas?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Check when you get into town. Porc seemed fine to me this year, but the weather has turned and it might be really muddy up there.

Lower rides are your best bet. Sovereign, Flat Iron, Amasa are all really fun in my opinion.

JMH
    Last edited by JMH; 10-08-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Team Sanchez
    Yeah, don't miss Amasa Back. That is probably my 2nd favorite trail behind Porc Rim.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I rode Porc this past sunday and conditions were perfect - we took the 8.30am shuttle so it probably was entirely dry by the end of the day.

There was a touch of mud at the start of LPS but that was it - it was, literally, just one wet spot on the entire ride. And that was the morning after the "storm" the previous day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Rode Hazard and everything below it this weekend. Hazard had a bit of snow from the Sat storm, but I bet it's dry by tomorrow or Wed. Bikes were caked pretty bad. Kokepeli was also a bit muddy, but it wasn't really sticking as much. I'm sure that was dry today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Amasa

Hey thanks for the replies.

It looks like we will do upper and lower Porc. on friday so it should be dry. I'm going to try and talk the guys into doing Amasa tomorrow. We're camped up above Moab, good views and some guy playing a sweet fiddle at another camp site. This is the life... well at least until Sunday

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The Shuttle took us up to Burro

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebiker
    Hey thanks for the replies.

It looks like we will do upper and lower Porc. on friday so it should be dry. I'm going to try and talk the guys into doing Amasa tomorrow. We're camped up above Moab, good views and some guy playing a sweet fiddle at another camp site. This is the life... well at least until Sunday
    Man that's one sweet ride. Does anybody make the climb up?

The trail was a little wet and or frozen until we got lower.

That trail is great. It took us 8 hrs. to get all the way down and back to town. The only part I didn't like was the ride back to town.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Burro

That trail is great. It took us 8 hrs. to get all the way down and back to town. The only part I didn't like was the ride back to town.

That IS a sweet ride. If you started from town, it would be 7200 feet of elevation gain in about 30 miles to get up there, if you took Loop Road/Geyser Pass, but that is a lot of pavement.

You could take the Loop Road to Oowah Lake and Moonlight Meadows to the base of Burro Pass and make a giant loop out of it with a little more trail riding. That would be a pretty epic day. There are other options like La Sal Pass to get up there, too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Porky Piny is always bumpy, bumpy, and bumpy and rocky as hell. That is the way it is and will always be. Tighten your bolts and hold on.

mtbr member

Hey Steve,

Were you on the 8:30 Porcupine shuttle to Burro on 10/12? I am the guy from Cedar MI with my buds from Boulder and Victor ID. Did you guys have any troubles on the ride? I think we did the ride in 4 hours 40 minutes.

I'll have a Whole Enchilada, hold the snow. I love that ride, EPIC in a good way!!!!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Rode LPS and Porcupine yesterday and conditions were perfect. 60 degrees, mostly sunny (SoCal smoke made it hazy) and quite dry.

JMH

Members who have read this thread: 0