Poison Spider Sucks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Poison Spider Sucks

I just got back from Moab and I have to say, Poison Spider was not my favorite trail. The sand (energy drainer!), jeep trail, getting lost, all made for a kind of disappointing ride.

Don't get me wrong, there were some nice technical sections up and down, but I would have much rather spend the day riding something else.

Anyone agree?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    What tires did you use?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    What tires did you use?
    I was riding Panaracer Smokes.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by nnhubbard
    I don't recommend that trail. I think you covered the main reasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I don't recommend that trail. I think you covered the main reasons.
    Glad someone else agrees.

Bored Carp
    Sweet 1990's Batman!
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Wasn't there a Smoke and Dart tire combo? I vaguely recall running something along those lines back on an old Schwinn hardtail in the '90's. I also vaguely recall not liking one of the tires and swapping it out for an Onza something or other.

Those were the days...back when everyone clammored to ride Poison Spider.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Wasn't there a Smoke and Dart tire combo? I vaguely recall running something along those lines back on an old Schwinn hardtail in the '90's. I also vaguely recall not liking one of the tires and swapping it out for an Onza something or other.

It's quite possible that with the demise of the Onza Porcupine and Tioga Psycho gumwall that trail was no longer any fun to ride. I believe I was palping Continental Cross Countries the first time I rode there and the joy was already gone.

user-created
    I love Poison Spider.... in the winter. Try it when the sand is firm and dusted with snow and you will have a totally different impression.

Bored Carp

I rode gum colored Tioga Psychos the first time I got part way up Poison Spider and realized what a stupid trail it was.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    I love Poison Spider.... in the winter. Try it when the sand is firm and dusted with snow and you will have a totally different impression.
    I have heard this and will have to give it a go once I have won these babies at auction: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HYwqH0yAYH...0/Onza+NOS.JPG

user-created
    I have heard this and will have to give it a go once I have won these babies at auction: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HYwqH0yAYH...0/Onza+NOS.JPG
    No way, Farmer Johns are the definitive Moab Tire.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Jim Jones rode Poison Spider.

It's quite possible that with the demise of the Onza Porcupine and Tioga Psycho gumwall that trail was no longer any fun to ride. I believe I was palping Continental Cross Countries the first time I rode there and the joy was already gone.
    That's definitely a possibility.

I mean considering I rode that trail primarily on a bike spec'd with a Kore red anodized seat post and matching, narrow flat bars and bar ends, 8 speed XT with a SUPER plush Judy XC, not to mention a blue saddle sock (cover) it would seem rediculous to try and emmulate that experience on a modern bike. It's just not going to happen.

Perhaps if I could find another blue saddle sock or a Hite Rite I would give it a go again, but it would probably just be a waste of time.

Oh well.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

No good Poison Spider

I just got back from Moab and I have to say, Poison Spider was not my favorite trail. The sand (energy drainer!), jeep trail, getting lost, all made for a kind of disappointing ride.

Don't get me wrong, there were some nice technical sections up and down, but I would have much rather spend the day riding something else.

Anyone agree?
    I agree to some extent. We did a loop consisting of P.S. to Portal, then down Portal to a paved road, back to our vehicle. I recall the first third of the ride being kind of sucky for the reason's you mentioned, but the last 2/3 being fantastic. I enjoyed the
    slickrock at the topic of the climb, then the bomb down portal was the bomb !

I didn't run them at the time, but I think a great tire choice for Moab would be the Specialized Chunder Control 2.30 tubless. I run them in AZ. and they hold up well, stick like glue and are wide enough that they do a decent job in sand.

user-created
    The Portal is also better with snow. OK maybe not better, but very cool nonetheless. First tracks up there when no one has so much as hiked it.... priceless.

Totally gonna need your Velociraptors for that sheeet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Poison Spider is the worst. trail. ever.

I think the only reason anyone rides it is that there's a shop named after it. Just awful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think Poison Spider is a good trail for Moab. You're going to find sand and portions of hike on most trails down there with not a lot of single track. After doing Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, and the La Sals, I just hope for good views and a good workout from the other trails that I check off in Moab. Try the "Sovereign" trail system. There's quite a bit of single track. It's kinda a mix of Gooseberry and Blue Diamond in Vegas
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    If you ride the main route it sucks...stay on the rock...some of the best stuff in Moab is back there. Thing with Moab is you have to put your time in there and be willing to explore and route find a bit, then you will see what the real Moab riding is about.

I'd rather be biking...
    The Whole Enchilada and Rockstacker/jackson was the only thing thing that started stirring up the juices for me. Sovereign was neat but everything else was below par for me. Poison Spider and Gemini bridges was a....yeah.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Poison Spider is so 80's. You have to be an idiot to ride that trail when there are so many better trails out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Poison Spider is a Jeep trail, plain and simple. It is primarily used as a connector to gain access to Golden Spike. Having driven the trail several times in my Jeep, I choose to ride my bike on other trails in the area...

mtbr member
    I agree. One of my least favorite trails.

I typically do the gold bar rim loop to Gemini bridge exit. Then loop back to spider via the road. The gold bar rim repeated "ups and Downs" just murders the legs.

Their was a gold bar rim singletrack that was pretty coo, but haven't been able to find it again.

Members who have read this thread: 0