Plotting an early May Moab trip- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

Plotting an early May Moab trip

I'm hoping to put together an MTB trip to Moab for myself and a few friends. The target dates are the first week of May. Other than "it's gonna be hella busy", any particular concerns with this time frame? I'm hoping to miss the big events (car show, ATV festival, etc.).

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has suggestions about finding a condo to rent. Good, bad, or indifferent. Is this early enough to score one?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to riding instead of driving Moab!
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

Picture Unrelated
    As long as you avoid one of the event weekends you'll have little trouble finding a place to rent. I know there's a hotel right on main street that has a huge "house" available for rent. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head though.

That's a great time to be in Moab and it's big enough for everyone even on busy weekends. I've spent time riding during the Jeep safari weekend a few years now, and even then the trails are pretty empty and the Jeeps are generally kind to bikers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Moab is so awesome for camping I would avoid the hotels also.. .Epic easy world class camping...

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    The name of the hotel on Main street is 'Bowen'. There is a house attached to the office. It will sleep 5 people easy, and it rents for $150.00 a night. The phone # is 1-800-874-5439. As a bonus Uranium Bikes is just across the street from it. We stay here every fall, in the motel rooms. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is also an awesome house on the south side of town owned by some hippy school teachers. You can find it on VRBO.com the exterior of it is green. That is a sweet place that is pretty reasonable. I still stand by the camping comment though. We do that exclusively and just poach showers at one of the many great places to poach them I feel like getting a hotel in Moab is sacrelidge unless its snowing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My opinions differ on camping in Moab.....it sucks now. All of the cool places my wife and I used to camp in 15 years ago are closed. Basically, if you want to camp sorta close to town, it'll be a pay site where there are far more people nearby than there is at my house. That ain't camping to me.

Picture Unrelated
    Camping up in the sand flats area is better than on the river in my experience. We're always surrounded by people or in a site that isn't great whenever we're down on the river. Up in sand flats, there's lots of room, great views of the valley, and less people. Though you have to be mindful of weather up there, it can be colder if you're going early season.

Honestly, I like to stay at a hotel, hit the dirt jumps after a day's ride, cruise main street, grab some beers (or far too many depending on the night), and have a shower. When I'm hiking I'll hit the campgrounds, but I definitely reap the benefits of hotel living when I'm riding. Plus, who doesn't like being withing stumbling distance of the mexican resturant in front of the Icna Inn?

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Camping is OK, my wife and I did that last time we were through town in fall of '07. But I'm thinking I want to come back from a hard day of riding to hot showers and a real bed. Thanks for the VRBO.com suggestion!
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    I feel like getting a hotel in Moab is sacrelidge unless its snowing...
    Even then it's sacrilege.

Members who have read this thread: 0