Please help me plan a trip to Gooseberry!- Mtbr.com
    I ride with tools

Please help me plan a trip to Gooseberry!

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to plan a trip to St. George for the past several years, and for some reason or another (usually having enough vacation time) it doesn't work out.

This year, it looks like things are falling into place, and I need some help with the details.
    Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with.

Three friends and I are driving out from New Mexico the week of October 6 thru 14. We are intermediate to advanced riders. We'll take our time driving out and hit the High Desert Trail System in Gallup, Mt. Elden in Flagstaff, and Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City on the way.

We'll have 4 days to spend in the St. George area and want to ride the best of the trails there. So far on the list are Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek Mesa, and JEM / Goulds / Hurricane Rim. Are these the best rides, as in most scenic and challenging? What else should we ride? Is it worth the drive to go up to Thunder Mountain?

And finally, which is the best campground in the area?

Thanks a lot for any tips on making this an epic trip for us!

Was that a Bobcat?
    Jim Bean.... I just came back from a MTB trip to UTAH, with some friendsm, and a stop at Bootleg (coming from SoCal) and I would say Goosdeberry Mesa (must do), Hutticane Rim (must do), Thunder Mountain (definitely worth the drive and definitely a MUST do). Thunder Mountain was my most favorite trail while we were out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am going to be in the area Oct 8 - 12th with Western Spirit. Hope to see you there!

I have ridden Thunder Mountain on a previous trip and it was a BLAST!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Members who have read this thread: 0