pleaase help me with moab-needles-glen canyon-zion route- Mtbr.com

Jan 2007

pleaase help me with moab-needles-glen canyon-zion route

I am planning a trip for september that will take me through canyonlands. Im not sure how much biking I will be able to do but I am trying to experience a lot of the local off-road roads in my truck (f-150). I got alot of specific information about the local roads from a ranger I spoke with on the phone today but he wasnt especially familiar with the conditions of Kane Creek Road-> Lockhart Basin Road or the next leg I hope to drive, 211->Beef Basin Road->Gooseberry->Elk Mountain Road on down to 276 to the ferry.

My goal is to do....Shafer Campground at Island in the Sky one night.
    Then drive down to Needles to stay at Peekaboo the next night,
    then driving down to stay at Bullfrog/Halls Crossing for a couple nights.
    I then want to drive the burr trail to Zion, maybe spending a night somewhere in between if neccesary at or arund bryce.

I have a ton of questions that I hope you guys can help me with. As I mentioned this is for a driving tour but im sure you guys will have some pretty useful information from your experience whether on 2 wheels or 4.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate your answers to any of the following questions (or related advice).

-------------------
    MOAB->NEEDLES

Can I make the trip as mentioned above from moab -> needles in my stock f150 4x4, or is there some really serious terrain in there that I might not be able to handle?

Is the route I mentioned a good idea (Kane Creek -> Lockhart Basin) or should I use an alternate route?

How long will this take me? keeping in mind that I will need to get to needles at a reasonable hour to check in at the visitor center and make the haul out to peekaboo, can I make this trip reasonably in one day?

Should I plan to camp out somewhere along Kane Creek/Lockhart Basin? Where? I tried the BLM site but cant find any good info about available camping.

---------
    NEEDLES->BULLFROG BAY AREA

Can I make the trip as mentioned above from needles -> the ferry along all the roads I listed in my stock f150 4x4, or is there some really serious terrain in there that I might not be able to handle?

Given my point A of needles and point B of bullfrog bay, and my desire to travel off the beaten path and enjoy the trip as much as the destination...what route would you reccomend I take.

How long will this take me? can I make this trip reasonably in one day?

Any advice on where I should stay around bullfrog bay or what I should do? Right now I dont know much about it, lake powell looks awesome so I was just thinking of spending a day chilling there and maybe rent a jet ski or kayak or something.

again.........THANK YOU for any advice you can offer.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    There is a thread on PASSION about the Lockhardt Basin road. Doesn't look too horrific, but it only takes one section... do you have a winch and a Hi-Lift jack? I think those are two good pieces of equipment to own if you plan to travel offroad in SoUt. Getting un-stuck is nice.

JMH

Jan 2007
    yea, I just saw that last night. I am hoping that thread author will post in here but I didnt want to jack his passion thread.

You're right, it does look fine, hoping someone who has actually been on it can tell me if there were any one sections I would likely not be able to make it through.

Truck is has the oem off-road package but is totallt stock right now. I was thinking of spending some money on some more off-roady tired before my trip but thats the only "off-roading" mod I am really considering at this point. Jack sounds like it might be a good idea though

Quote Originally Posted by slug420
    I

Can I make the trip as mentioned above from moab -> needles in my stock f150 4x4, or is there some really serious terrain in there that I might not be able to handle?

Should I plan to camp out somewhere along Kane Creek/Lockhart Basin? Where? I tried the BLM site but cant find any good info about available camping.
    again.........THANK YOU for any advice you can offer.
    My recollection from riding the route several years ago is a big no. Ascending out of the Chicken Corner area up to the Lockhart road proper has several very steep sections of slickrock and big boulders. I think your wheelbase would kill you, but I am also not a very agro 4x4er. I do know that the outfits that guide this refuse to do so North to South, because they only want to drive down that stuff.

There's great dispersed camping around the Indian Creek area before you get to the pavement. Technically, you can camp anywhere on BLM land unless specificed otherwise.

The rest of your outlined route should be fine in September. Swinging south of Bryce is some spectacular terrain, but Cottonwood canyon prevents a very good route that avoids much pavement.

Have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0