Planning to Visit the Parks in Utah first week of June- Mtbr.com
    Hell Track

Planning to Visit the Parks in Utah first week of June

Is beginning of June typically too hot for riding and hiking? How about crowds? Planning to do some camping also

thanks

mtbr member
    Bryce Canyon should be great. Zion NP, Canyon Lands, Arches may be a bit warm mid-day and down in the valley. Better up on the rims or in the deep, narrow canyons.

Crowds: Not sure about the others, but Zion NP has gotten crazy the past few years. The more you stay off the beaten path and do the more difficult, off-the-beaten-path hikes the fewer crowds you'll see.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Hell Track
    Cool, Thanks
    I think we're going to go and check it out. I've been wanting to visit Utah for some years now

mtbr member
    I can keep you posted on the ride conditions and camping opportunities. It is what I do for a living. Check out my camping options below.

Hell Track
    Great, Thanks WheelBender. Any Recommendations for good rides? My wife will be with me and she is a beginner on the Mtb. looking for more mellow scenic rides rather than tech. We'll be travelling through the entire southern part of the state.

mtbr member
    The JEM trail system will likely be your best and safest bet for a beginner. There are some perfect beginner trails located off the Highway 59 or Upper JEM Trailhead. My wife is still trying to get a crash out of her head so she likes to ride Trails #8 Goulds and #10 Cowbells trails as an out and back loop staring on the dirt road on Goulds then a fairly easy climb up to Highway 59, cross the road then ride out Cowbells, then back down Goulds . We drive out the dirt road toward the Olympus Academy (signage can be seen along Highway 59, then drive about 1+ miles, cross cattle guard and start at the corral on the left. Trial sign is visible at fence near corral. Or park at upper JEM trailhead and do some loops on Cowbells, great views off the edge of a mesa.

Lower JEM (trail #1) starts on Sheep Bridge Road in the town of Virgin (Highway 9) and goes our along the edge of the Virgin River Gorge with great views down in the canyons. See the attached BLM brochure and links to maps for the trails.
    Jem Trail

Stay off trails #4 &#5, the can be real tough on beginners, lots of little techy rock moves. The middle JEM trails can be fun for beginners too, but the cows did serious stomping around on these trails here this past winter and they still have not recovered.

Hell Track
    Sounds great. I have to ride Moab while I'm in Utah. Any rides you recommend there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Sounds great. I have to ride Moab while I'm in Utah. Any rides you recommend there?
    For beginner rides with scenic views the Deadhorse Point trail network is a good one in Moab. Most will enjoy it their first time regardless of ability levels.

If your riding solo in Moab and looking for more of the "must do" rides Hymasa/Captain Ahab is a good one with the option to extend the ride with the Pothole/Rockstacker loop. ...and then there is Porcupine Rim/ The Whole Enchilada, hop on a shuttle and ride from wherever the highest point they have open at that time

Hell Track
    Awesome, Thanks
    Porcupine Rim, kind of scares me from the videos I've seen. Single track with a sheer drop on one side. Hard to tell from the videos. I hope to do at least one solo ride on some more technical stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ha, the sheer drop on Porcupine is not an issue, at all. You should be more scared of going over the bars on some of the 2ft ledges

The only trail with serious exposure that most people dismount for is on the Portal Trail.

mtbr member
    Klondike Bluffs has a few super easy trails, like Agate, Jasper, and Dino Flow. Bar M has some beginner material as well, along with the afore mentioned Dead Horse State Park. Pipeline is also close to town and is moderately technical. it's a good evening ride after it cools down. On all the national parks, I've found if you go really early, you can get some peace and quiet, and then after noon gets crazy and you can't even find a place to park. Plus it's cooler in the morning.

mtbr member
    Here is a link to the trails in Moab with their ratings. Great maps you can print also. The Klondike Bluffs has some nice trails as mentioned previously. Dino Flow and Jurassic make for a good beginner plus loop. Moab Brand Trails also.

Moab Mountain Biking Trails - Moab mountain bike trail information and maps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    ...I've found if you go really early, you can get some peace and quiet...
    ^^yep, things are full retard by 11...razors, jeeps, mottos start running around 9:30-10 and by 11 its a circus ....8:30 is a good time to be at the trailheads that way you'll be wrapping up your ride before the "show" starts. ...then rest up a bit in the heat of the day and do another ride around 5-6pm when most are getting off the trails and watch the colors explode when the sun sets.

Hell Track
    Great info here all,
    Thanks

Keep on Rockin...
    Just finished my first visit to Moab. Best trail riding I've ever encountered. Love'd Hymasa/Ahab.

I was fully expecting to be turned off by too many motos, but must have lucked out. The week I was there barely ran into any. At the trail heads there were some, but once out there I ran into almost none.

Hell Track
    I'll be leaving L.A. Early Friday and Have to return the following Friday. Not as much time as I thought. I'm thinking of just doing Zion, Bryce and maybe Canyonlands. I want to ride the JEM trails one day and Moab one day also. Am I missing any must see attractions like Arches? I figure I might have to skip that one.

mtbr member
    You are going to miss a lot of good stuff. Just have to keep coming back several times a year. Do some research, you won't believe all the good stuff Utah has to offer the outdoor enthusiast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    I'll be leaving L.A. Early Friday and Have to return the following Friday. Not as much time as I thought. I'm thinking of just doing Zion, Bryce and maybe Canyonlands. I want to ride the JEM trails one day and Moab one day also. Am I missing any must see attractions like Arches? I figure I might have to skip that one.

Canyonlands is spectacular, but if I had to choose between the two I'd do Arches. I'd been to Arches many years ago so never went in again when I was visiting Moab for mtb or moto over the next couple decades, thinking, "It's all pretty much the same as the views I'm seeing from the trails, right?" Wrong. Arches is stunning, awesome, and mind blowing. And many of the coolest arches are right off the road or a short hike away (Don't miss Delicate Arch. Wow!)

But, yes, Zion and Bryce Canyons are must do's. And Deadhorse/Intrepid is a good choice for iconic, mellow, fun, scenic Moab ride for a beginner, with the bonus of great views into Canyonlands NP. JEM near Zion is also great fun for a beginner and entertaining for any skill level.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Hell Track
    Many thanks all. Seems like you Utah folks are friendly and willing to point a visitor in the right direction. Super psyched! My wife and I got our vacations approved through work, so it's game on. Will be planning this weekend. I'll report back in June after the trip. Pics included

Hell Track
    Arrived today and rode goosebumps, dead ringer and some other stuff off sheep bridge rd. had a blast. Zion tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Following this with great interest, I'm hitting the parks next week with family on a cross country trip to Maine, so I'm looking for a lot of the same info!

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatkeeper View Post
    Following this with great interest, I'm hitting the parks next week with family on a cross country trip to Maine, so I'm looking for a lot of the same info!
    Zion was incredible. I could spend a good 5 days there. Bryce was awesome, but a day is perfect with a good hike through into the canyon. In Moab now. Did some biking in dead horse point state park and Getaway in Magnigicent 7 area. Went to arches today and really enjoyed it late in the day as it cooled down. Probably slick rock tomorrow. I'd love to do porcupine rim but don't think it would be good for my wife although she is quite a natural on the mtb and killing it so far. So much to see and ride its mind blowing. Hiking biking and camping for a week here has been a dream of mine. Sad to see it ending but I'll be back. Hope your trip is just as awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great to hear your experience, mine is very similar so far. Zion was so amazing, but wow that park is under siege at this time of year. We hit it early in the AM and by the time we got back to the visitor center there was an hour wait for the shuttle. We did Bryce too, walked the Navajo trail, it was so so alien. Now in Moab through Sunday night, my boy and I did the Slickrock practice loop this AM, he did fine as long as I cooled him off with water dumps (coming from Maine, even the early morning heat is a lot for us!) I'm staying near Pipe Dream so will try that on my own this evening or tomorrow AM, and we still have Arches to do. I'm sad I don't think we'll make it to Canyonlands. I wish I had more time in all of these places, it is like being on another planet.

Hell Track
    Oh Cool, I didn't realize you were there now. Just got back to L.A. today. We didn't make it to Canyonlands either, but we rode Dead Horse Point in that area which was an amazing park as well with a beautiful trail system and as others have stated, great for beginners or anyone really. There is a nasty heat wave in the high deserts right now, we stopped in Vegas to see some friends on the way home and it was 109 deg. My car was reading 115 in some areas on the freeway and we came home to a smoke filled San Fernando Valley from a 200 acre fire in Calabasas. Ash is fall all over the place. Safe Journeys and enjoy the rest of the trip