Planning a trip to St. George/Zion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Planning a trip to St. George/Zion

Hey all:

I am planning a trip for later this year to the St. George area and I wanted to run by my early itinerary for some opinions from local riders. I live in NJ, regularly ride technical XC trails and keep the drops less than 2 ft. I plan on bringing my singlespeed geared with a two speed freewheel (one gear for trail and one gear for getting to the trail). I am hooking up with a tour company to do Gooseberry Mesa, Little Creek and the JEM trail. However, I would like to get out to St. George three or four days early and get some riding in; at this point I have my eye on Church Rocks, Green Valley and Stucki Spring. Is this a good mix of the area for a East Coaster on a ss? Any other trails that anyone would recommend? Keep in mind I want to be fresh for the paid-for tour.

Oh I forgot to mention- I am trying to get out this April but may need to postpone until October. Yes the winter is driving me crazy!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Goosebury mesa. I've only heard about it (and I'm a Utah local) and from what I know it has potential for all levels of riding and can be extended to what ever length that you so please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Don't waste your time on Church Rock. It isn't that great. Go to Bootleg canyon in Las Vegas, it's only 1.5 hrs drive from St. George.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks- I'm flying into Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by hoadley
    Don't waste your time on Church Rock. It isn't that great. Go to Bootleg canyon in Las Vegas, it's only 1.5 hrs drive from St. George.
    I'll probably end up taking a day off the front of the trip and add it to the end. Is bootleg one big trail or a network of trails? If it is a network, would you recommend XC style riding trails?

Thanks for the replies!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

bootleg canyon, Neveda

It's a net work of trails. There is a bike shop in Boulder City that sells a map of the area. I think the trail builder is either owns or affiliated with the bike shop. The mexican food place next to the bike shop is great. The bike shop is about two miles from the trailhead. This area is featured in Mountain Bike Action magazine a few years back.

There are both cross country trails and downhill trails. Cross country trails are quite technical and in no way smooth but can definately be ridden with a hardtail. Sorry I can't recommend any trails, it's been a while since I rode the area. You can do 20 miles here without any problem. More if you do downhill trails. I strongly recommand getting the map from the bike shop. The map tells you elevation gain and helps you navigate the maze of trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i was out in utah (moab and st george) last year the last week in may and the first two in april. your not crazy for going out there that time of year. i ended the trip in st george (where my brother lives) and we went out and did the green valley loop. we parked back in the residential area and rode the pavement to start the loop. (look at the trail review page for more info). my brother likes doing it this way because he can go there by himself and the first half is all climbing to some degree but the last half is a blast! all downhill! no need to pedal and only touched the brakes once when i thought i would miss the trail after it turned right after a big up and down dip. unfortuantly, that's all i did, it rained later that day and the next. he did mention some cool trails to the east/se of the st george area. i'd check with the local lbs.

my $.02

mtbr member

Don't pass up Zion

The riding is excellent in that area, but I would plan a couple days exploring Zion NP as well. Amazing scenery. OK, the popular hikes from the canyon aren't backcountry, they're frickin' paved, but they make up for it in steepness and exposure. You might be able to do the Narrows, or at least go up a ways and turn when the cold water gets to ya. Observation Point is a stiff climb with a vertigo-inducing spell hugging a steep canyon wall, and Angel's Landing has chains bolted in due to the thousand foot drops surrounding you. And the views are incredible..

CRASH
    Jan 2005

Zion

Get up to Red Canyon near Bryce... Hike Angels Landing in Zion... ride the Arizona trail on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon... There is just so much in that area... Cedar Breaks... The only bad time of year to go is summer and winter.
    It's not adventure until something goes wrong.

mtbr member
    I'd also like to chime in on seeing Zion NP. The scenery is amazing. But yes, they are paved trails and short, but it's worth seeing.

http://www.nps.gov/zion/home.htm

The Green Valley Race Course is fun. You go through lots of washes with steps.
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/ (find the St. George list on the left)

My husband is from Bergen Co. He came out in 1997 and did the Telluride to Moab hut trip on his bike. He never went back to NJ. Stayed in Utah.