Planning trip to St George in March- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711

    Planning trip to St George in March

    A bunch of us are heading down to St George for a bit 'o riding this March and would like some info on a couple of things.

    Weather: Is March (11-17) a good time of year to ride SW Utah?

    Dispersed Camping: Is there good dispersed camping in the St Georger / Hurricane area?

    Burrito: Where is the best burrito in St George?



    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  2. #2
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Wait a week and you can catch the Hurricane MTB Festival. Fun and lots of bikes to Demo, beer garden, great breakfasts, etc. Hurricane Mountain Bike Festival

    Weather? Flip a coin. March is big wind month in the desert. Probably the most unstable weather month of the year.

    Primitive camping? A couple of miles up the Kolob Road from Virgin on the right is dispersed camping. It is across the road from the first Rampage site if you want to ride some drops. No toilets, usually. No water unless you filter from the creek. However, a park on a back street in Virgin has open toilets, usually.

    At the Guacamole TH there is a lot of dispersed camping, no toilets. No water

    Lots of dispersed camping on Gooseberry Mesa and three sets of toilets. No water.

    Dispersed camping off Sheep Bridge Road / JEM Trails out of Virgin. Toilet at the bottom of JEM above the river. Pretty bleak out there though. No trees. No water. If the wind comes up it can get ugly.

    Don't eat burritos in St. George so someone else can help you with that. I've found only two good restaurants, one is a sports bar theme next the freeway on the east side, maybe something like Players. The others are at Georges Corner on St. George Blvd near downtown. I go to Springdale to eat. Great Mexican restaurant there - Oscars Cafe. Also, Bit & Spur and Jacks Sports Grill. There are others including a good Mexican restaurant farther up the road downtown.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  3. #3
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    ...

    Primitive camping? A couple of miles up the Kolob Road from Virgin on the right is dispersed camping. It is across the road from the first Rampage site if you want to ride some drops. No toilets, usually. No water unless you filter from the creek. However, a park on a back street in Virgin has open toilets, usually.

    At the Guacamole TH there is a lot of dispersed camping, no toilets. No water

    Lots of dispersed camping on Gooseberry Mesa and three sets of toilets. No water.

    Dispersed camping off Sheep Bridge Road / JEM Trails out of Virgin. Toilet at the bottom of JEM above the river. Pretty bleak out there though. No trees. No water. If the wind comes up it can get ugly.
    ...
    Thanks for the info!! I saw that festival unfortunatly we cant make that week.

    As for the camping, it sounds like there are a lot of options. Of the areas you mention, which would be doable towing a small travel trailer with high clearance?

    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  4. #4
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Thanks for the info!! I saw that festival unfortunatly we cant make that week.

    As for the camping, it sounds like there are a lot of options. Of the areas you mention, which would be doable towing a small travel trailer with high clearance?
    .
    It depends on what the weather is and was recently. The road to The Goose can bury Hummers in mud. If dry then go slow and be patient. Stay in the area of the first trailhead. It will be obvious, toilet and corral for parking. You get to the Goose from the Apple Valley side. Don't even think of the access from Highway 9 / Rockville.

    The final 1/4 mile up to The Guac is somewhat steep but reasonably graded. If dry or mostly dry it should be fine if the locals haven't screwed it up with their 4WD's when muddy.

    By far the easiest is off Kolob Road. You drive in a few hundred feet and can go left or right before the creek crossing. Right is fine with the trailer all the way to the end. Left has minimal turn around / backup potential after about a hundred yards. Before that is very good, especially by the creek. Nice cottonwoods and you can ride your bikes across the road to the first Rampage site for some thrills.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  5. #5
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    ....

    By far the easiest is off Kolob Road. You drive in a few hundred feet and can go left or right before the creek crossing. Right is fine with the trailer all the way to the end. Left has minimal turn around / backup potential after about a hundred yards. Before that is very good, especially by the creek. Nice cottonwoods and you can ride your bikes across the road to the first Rampage site for some thrills.
    Do you mean Kolob Terrace Road? Thats all I could find in the map. There is a BLM campground there.

    Here:

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ko...=en&authuser=0




    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  6. #6
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Do you mean Kolob Terrace Road? Thats all I could find in the map. There is a BLM campground there.
    .
    You could camp there but the road can be difficult further in. Most camping is up the Kolob Terrace Road past that green pasture on the right.

    These are not really BLM camps. There is nothing at all developed.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  7. #7
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Thanks again for the great info. The Kolob Terrace area looks like great centrally located camping for the Hurricane area trails.

    On the Gooseberry camping, is this the spot you refer to?

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...=en&authuser=0


    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  8. #8
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Yes, that is the first TH. Go left from there and you will see a bunch of places to camp by the mesa rim. Very nice there and often trailers. Kolob is certainly more central to the trails. If you have a 4WD you can access the Goose from Rockville on Highway 9. The climb up Heartbreak Hill is "interesting" but the shortest route.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  9. #9
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Yes, that is the first TH. Go left from there and you will see a bunch of places to camp by the mesa rim. Very nice there and often trailers. Kolob is certainly more central to the trails. If you have a 4WD you can access the Goose from Rockville on Highway 9. The climb up Heartbreak Hill is "interesting" but the shortest route.
    Awesome,, that is perfect. One last question and I promiss I will quit bugging you.

    This area, is it good for camping?

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...=en&authuser=0


    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  10. #10
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    I don't know, never tried there. All the Sheep Bridge area is open terrain with no trees. I only see motor homes out there and they have aircon. If the weather is perfect it would be fine. Otherwise usually hot and exposed to high winds.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,396
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Awesome,, that is perfect. One last question and I promiss I will quit bugging you.

    This area, is it good for camping?

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...=en&authuser=0


    .
    No, there is a gate that may or may not get closed every night and I'm 98% sure overnight camping isn't allowed. If you go further out (south) on Sheep Bridge Rd, you can find tons of dispersed parking areas. I'm not sure what's 100% legal but we see more and more people out there every trip.

    I never camp for more than 48 hours so we always camp up top on Gooseberry Mesa. I would stay on Sheep Bridge if I was going to be there multiple days and bouncing around constantly. My friends would happily drive up and down GM road daily.

    The best Mexican food I've had in St George was at a hole in a wall place named Valerie's. We had breakfast burritos there after driving in from SoCal and there were surprisingly good. In Hurricane, there is a Mexican food truck/trailer right onto main drag (you can't miss it). I've only had street tacos there but there were very good. I'm a Mexican food fiend so that would be my "go-to" place if I was in town.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    If I was from out of town, I would park it for a couple nights on Gooseberry, there are plenty of good spots up there and central to the best riding.
    Then on day three I would relocate to the Green Valley area so you could hit Zen, Stucki and the Santa Clara trails.

    Best Mexican food in town is Jalepenos, there are two locations and both are in gas stations.

  13. #13
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Awesome info folks,, thanks!! Looking at Google Earth images, me thinks we will be camping on BLM land off Kolob Terrace. I like the idea of trees and a creek in the desert.


    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  14. #14
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    I just found out that there is a ATV Jamboree the same week we are going to be down there. Any locals have any info on how it impacts the trails and camping?

    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  15. #15
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    The Hurricane area doesn't have as many events as Moab but I've been there during some road bike and running events and hotels are expensive. They know how to primitive camp of course so more camping than usual, and much more noisy in camp. If the event is near Hurricane and includes the Goose than all the usual spots will fill but probably enough room on Sheep Bridge. Hopefully for you they stay on the St George and Santa Clara trails.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  16. #16
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    ... If the event is near Hurricane and includes the Goose than all the usual spots will fill but probably enough room on Sheep Bridge. Hopefully for you they stay on the St George and Santa Clara trails.
    Yeah,, here is a list of the trails they will be doing, most seem to be NW of Hurricane. Looks like their basecamp is in the Washington County Park. So that should keep they off dispersed camping.



    .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  17. #17
    Yeti SB95c
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,374
    Yeah, they shouldn't impact your plans. Many will roost at Sand Hollow State Park.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,396
    I would expect that many of them will camp along Sheep Bridge Rd b because it's easy to get to. I think the road up to Gooseberry from Rockville is going to be nothing but soft silt after a few 100 ATV/UTV's go up and down during this event.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2016, 07:08 PM
  2. Planning... Planning
    By playpunk in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 10:18 AM
  3. St. George/Moab ride offered March 1
    By dickt3030 in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Members who have read this thread: 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.