• 04-13-2009
    jcard14
    Planning trip to SLC or Provo
    Headed out to Utah in mid-September to watch my beloved Florida State Seminoles take on BYU. The game is on a Saturday so I imagine I will ride Thursday, Friday and Sunday(if not too hungover). I will be flying in and out of SLC, and the game is in Provo, I will plan my trip around riding. So the question is: where do I need to ride? Please keep in mind that I am also doing La Ruta this November so I would prefer to ride trails that are going to give me plenty of climbing. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
  • 04-13-2009
    freaknunu
    A bit of an inconsistency there :p the trip will be planned around biking but I sure as hell hope that I'm not too hungover to ride on Saturday:D
    Nice
  • 04-13-2009
    jcard14
    It was a shot at my football craziness....by far my worst trait...short of being in jail, I WILL be riding Sunday....and depending on what time kickoff is, I will probably ride early Saturday as well....:thumbsup:
  • 04-13-2009
    darkslide18
    wasatch crest to Mill D..classic SLC ride....maybe hit up the bobsled too..great fun
  • 04-13-2009
    pop_martian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by darkslide18
    wasatch crest to Mill D..classic SLC ride....maybe hit up the bobsled too..great fun

+1:thumbsup:
  • 04-13-2009
    Pedalfaraway
    OMG too much to list.
    Look at www.utahmountainbiking.com.

You are going to be in the right place at the right time. Sep in SLC is awesome. I agree that The Crest to Mill D is a good one. My fav ride is the crest into Millcreek, and then into the canyons onto Mid mountain and then to spiro and back up to the crest. 3 hours if I ride fast and I think over 3k climbing.

American Fork canyon has amazing riding too. Ridge 157 is not to be missed.

I also really enjoy Muller park trail in bountiful too. It's on of those just the right trails. Its has enough climbing so that if I want a good workout I can go the middle ring and hammer up it in a big hurry, and if I want to ride easy I can little ring it and just enjoy being out. Alot of rides here are so steep just getting to the top requires everything I have.
  • 04-15-2009
    jcard14
    Thanks for the suggestions! It appears that most if not all of the suggestions are SLC area trails....is there anything near Provo that I need to include or should I just focus on SLC?
  • 04-15-2009
    supersize
    Very cool. I didn't know the 'noles were playing BYU. FSU is my Alma mater. I will have to see about getting some tickets. Send me a PM.

As for trails check out the Crest trail or if you have time the trails around Park city are nice. Corner Canyon the ridge between salt lake and provo.
  • 04-16-2009
    shrubeck
    Provo has quick access to the web of trails on the back side of Timp (including ridge 157). You can spend as much or as little time in there as you want, and it's all spectacular singletrack.
  • 04-16-2009
    slcpunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcard14
    Thanks for the suggestions! It appears that most if not all of the suggestions are SLC area trails....is there anything near Provo that I need to include or should I just focus on SLC?

Definitely ride in American Fork as others have mentioned ( ridge trail 157, deer creek,salamander flats, etc ) Riding around the top of the canyon, across Timanooke, and then down Grove Creek to Pleasant Grove is an all time classic...i think. Its a shuttle, but if you ride all the trails up at the top, you won't feel like you cheated. (in fact, if you did it right, you should be pretty worked) I've always had good luck hitch hiking back up, although usually with a group, so the one driver can hitch back up to the top w/out bike/gear. If you're solo this could be trickier.

info on utahmountainbiking.com as others have mentioned too. (or "trails illustrated" #701 "Uinta National Forest") If you pick that up, you get the Payson lakes area trails too - that's pretty close to Provo. That would allow you to avoid the crowds on the Crest. Great riding down there.
  • 04-18-2009
    WesternMtnRider
    The American Fork Canyon trails are superb, although I only ride those on my dirt bike and not on my mountain bike.

If you want a lot of climbing there are trails on the west side of Mt. Timpanogos above Orem/Lindon/Pleasant Grove that offer some good challenges. I often start at Dry Canyon, go Bonneville Shoreline trail south into Provo Canyon, then up over the back of Little Baldy to the back of Big Baldy and down into Dry Canyon to make a loop. This takes me about 3 hours and there are a number of hike-a-bike sections. Alternatively, I've also crossed over the back of Big Baldy and dropped down Battle Creek Canyon. Or you could keep going over to Grove Creek Canyon and drop down it and then head back to Dry Canyon. All of these would be fun and give you a good work out.