Place to winter- Mtbr.com

Thread: Place to winter

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Place to winter

My wife and I are looking for a good place to winter and escape the long darkness of Alaska. Cold is okay as long as there's light.
    Looking for good dirt riding, smallish town, with xc skiing if available, but not crucial. We get plenty of that here.
    I haven't spent alot of time in UT and hope you guys can shed some light on good places. Where would you spend winter if you had the choice?

Thanks in advance,

Pat Irwin
    Alaska

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wintering in utah

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    My wife and I are looking for a good place to winter and escape the long darkness of Alaska. Cold is okay as long as there's light.
    Looking for good dirt riding, smallish town, with xc skiing if available, but not crucial. We get plenty of that here.
    I haven't spent alot of time in UT and hope you guys can shed some light on good places. Where would you spend winter if you had the choice?

Thanks in advance,

Pat Irwin
    Alaska
    Well, I don't live in Utah (I live in Denver) but I'd check out St. George. It's far enough south that winters shouldn't be too bad. Moab would definitely be sunnier than Alaska and the riding is...well, you know about the riding in Moab. Sure wouldn't be too crowded that time of the year!

mtbr member
    I moved to St. George in 2001 and have never been happier. The riding is similar to Moab but more of a "cross country" feel. Lots of slick rock, technical without being over the top. Brian Head ski resort is about an hour forty five away.
    Come down for a visit or PM me with andy other specific questions you may have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alaska Thanks

You guys are the best. Kathy and I have friends in Cedar City and they're on our list of folks to visit when daylight here gets down to 5 hrs/day.
    They love it and keep urging us to come for an extended stay, so hopefully this will be the year we take them up on it.
    I'll let you guys know when we get there and maybe you can show us how to ride.....
    Thanks again,
    AlaskaPat

mtbr member

Outside St George

I would look just outside of St George. There are several little towns close by that would really be perfect. BTW, Cedar City is close by but the climate is dramatically different. Cedar City is around 7,000' I think, pretty cold and wintery. St George is much more snowbird'ish - it's a desert climate, lower elevation and definitley warmer year round. When you get a chance to visit you will see exactly what I'm talking about. St George has GREAT riding nearby though and it's a good central point to other fine places. (E.G., cross-country skiing at Brian Head near Cedar City, Moab, skiing in the Wasatch, Sedona, Vegas or not Vegas if you're like me, all of the nearby National Parks and lots and lots of incredible desert backcountry

Hope this helps-