Pick our ride in SLC- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Pick our ride in SLC

At the end of this month my friend and I will be passing through SLC and we may have time for one ride of up to 3 hours duration. If you could pick just one such ride, which would it be? We're both reasonably fit with advanced technical skills. We'll have one vehicle so we wouldn't be able to shuttle anything. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Does it have to be down in the Salt Lake Valley? Flying Dog up in Park City could be dry enough to ride without damaging it in 3 weeks.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Does it have to be down in the Salt Lake Valley? Flying Dog up in Park City could be dry enough to ride without damaging it in 3 weeks.
    I think the detour to PC would eat up a little too much time. Can you think of a trail somewhere right along the way in the valley? I might head back to PC/DV later in the summer after the bike park opens.

mtbr member
    I haven't been down to the Draper/Corner Canyon area, but I have heard good things about it. It would be on your way to SLC if you are arriving from the south.

https://cornercanyontrails.com/ski-map-style

If you go to MTB YumYum's reviews on YouTube, it'll give you an idea of what it's like.

If you're arriving from the north, here's a list of northern SLC trails.
    Salt Lake North Area Mountain Bike Trails
    Maybe Mueller Park....

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Nothing in the valley is going to take 3 hours unless you do multiple laps or are ok getting completely lost/riding on game trails (waiting for Turd to chime in on this...)

None of it is going to be particularly technical either, though you can find a few techy spots of the offshoots of the BST here and there.

I'd personally go ride some Corner Canyon loops and get your flow on. It's not adventurous or technical but it's still great riding.

-Walt

Nat
    mtbr member
    Thanks Walt. We didnít need it to be three hours; We would have no more than three hours, so even one hour would be fine.

Weíd ride in the morning first thing after checking out of the hotel then hit the road out of town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you ride Corner Canyon all trails should be dried out by the end of May. A good solid ride would be to start from the Ballard Equestrian center trailhead, ride up Bonneville Shoreline west up Potato Hill, through the tunnel, up Anne's West, over the ridge to Eagle Crest, ride Eagle Crest to the east, ride down Levitate, ride up Woods Hollow, link back into Eagle Crest going north, cross the highway, then immediately right onto Mercer Mountain(not Mercer Hollow, they start the same place but soon split) Mercer Mountain will exit on to Two Hollows double track, ride up Two Hollows to Auchtung Baby, ride down Auchtung Baby then back up Hogs Hollow double track to Porkupine, up to Peakview up to Jacobs Ladder, down Jacobs Ladder, cross dirt road, ride down Ghost Falls, at the junction for "the Falls at Ghost Falls go left on Canyon Hollow for a short distance, right after a bridge crossing merge left off of Canyon Hollow on to Rush, at the end of Rush follow the double track out the canyon back to where you parked at the Ballard Equestrian center. Or there are numerous options to all of these trails to make the ride as long or short as you want. This ride would highlight all of the popular trails in the area.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltDirtMerchant View Post
    If you ride Corner Canyon all trails should be dried out by the end of May. A good solid ride would be to start from the Ballard Equestrian center trailhead, ride up Bonneville Shoreline west up Potato Hill, through the tunnel, up Anne's West, over the ridge to Eagle Crest, ride Eagle Crest to the east, ride down Levitate, ride up Woods Hollow, link back into Eagle Crest going north, cross the highway, then immediately right onto Mercer Mountain(not Mercer Hollow, they start the same place but soon split) Mercer Mountain will exit on to Two Hollows double track, ride up Two Hollows to Auchtung Baby, ride down Auchtung Baby then back up Hogs Hollow double track to Porkupine, up to Peakview up to Jacobs Ladder, down Jacobs Ladder, cross dirt road, ride down Ghost Falls, at the junction for "the Falls at Ghost Falls go left on Canyon Hollow for a short distance, right after a bridge crossing merge left off of Canyon Hollow on to Rush, at the end of Rush follow the double track out the canyon back to where you parked at the Ballard Equestrian center. Or there are numerous options to all of these trails to make the ride as long or short as you want. This ride would highlight all of the popular trails in the area.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Nothing in the valley is going to take 3 hours unless you do multiple laps or are ok getting completely lost/riding on game trails (waiting for Turd to chime in on this...)
    -Walt
    Probably take 2-3 days to ride all the everyday connected SLC trail system. (not deer paths) Might need to ride a few sections in the other direction to connect stuff.
    https://www.trailforks.com/route/threehour-tour/
    I couldnít pull that ride off in 3 hours.
    Basically, if I was Roadworn and Weary, Iíd probably just dink around in CC or the less climbing stuff in SLC, possibly Wild Rose just north or the Quarry Trail between SLC and CC.

With the exception of CC, all the other nearby trails are graded more old school and can be deceivingly less forgiving (Mile vs Vertical)

Window is closing on the SLC area, it will soon be hot bushy and loose. Kind of in it's prime and for the next week or so. Window hasnít opened yet in PC, believe gramma is cracking it open in the evening for some fresh air, but itís too early to put the screens in and set an apple pie on the windowsill.
    Last edited by Turd; 05-07-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I suck

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm not sure if you have already been to SLC and ridden yet but one trail that hasn't been mentioned is dry gulch/(Creek) to bobsled. This is one of my favorite rides and can easily be done in less than 3 hrs and is a loop. The link below is one of my rides on where I pedaled the road backup to catch the lower half of the bobsled twice. Dry gulch is a gradual but steady climb just about until the drop into bobsled, then it is all downhill from there. Bobsled is awesome! The first half of the trail is really like riding a bobsled, the second half has big jumps with old cars u jump over and some big gaps. Most of these are ridable by good riders, but all have alternate ways around features if u don't want to hit the jumps or gaps. I would highly recommend this trail, the bobsled is my favorite trail in SLC. It is basically South East of downtown right under the U on the mountain.

Ridelog from Jul 28, 2018
    https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/3640942/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    Great, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Nat,

what kind of trails are you looking to ride and I can point you in the right direction. The valley has everything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    +1 for Corner Canyon without a doubt. Here's what I posted on a similar thread yesterday. As dmar said above, if you give a bit more info on what kind of riding you prefer, you can get your trail recs a bit more dialed. Corner Canyon is pretty expansive so there's pretty much a bit of everything except true gnar. Have fun!

Almost everything is now open in Corner Canyon. You can put together pretty much as long of a ride as you want out there. Be sure to hit some combo of Vertigo, Rush, and/or Levitate. Other very worthy mentions are Jacob's ladder and Maple Hollow DH. I'll mention Achtung and Zooropa as well. They haven't opened yet, but might by the time you get out there. These are all downhill only so you'll need to look at Trailforks for specifics on how to link them.

Nat
    mtbr member
    We were looking for something a little downcountry, with maybe some trailduro mixed in... Kidding!

Thanks for everyone's input; It looks as if we have our itinerary set. I appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

Thanks for everyone's input; It looks as if we have our itinerary set. I appreciate the help!
    Where did you decide to ride?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk