PCMR, harshing my mellow!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

PCMR, harshing my mellow!

Went up to PCMR to ride up Jenni's with a noob. I've never seen it so crowded...that's fine, lots of people out having a good time on a nice day. Also, lots of the folks riding the lifts are clearly unfamiliar with etiquette or with their own abilities.
    So, advice for the downhillers:
    1. Jenni's is a beginner trail with lots of uphill traffic and hikers. There are much better routes down the mountain.
    2. If you must go down Jenni's, remember, uphill traffic has the right of way. Yes, even if you buy a lift ticket!
    3. You're (apparently) NOT good enough to squeeze around uphill traffic when it's narrow. Must you prove this over and over?
    4. You have a front brake. Use it. If you have 50 feet to stop before you run someone over, using only your rear brake and shouting "whoa" will get you stopped. In 52 feet!
    Thank you for your attention. Sadly, anyone reading this is wise enough to understand, so consider it a rant.

Your Best Friend
    Hopefully you said something to each of these people. Don't just let stupidity pass you by.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." I agree.

mtbr member
    This same issue also happens on LCC trail. Guys obsessed with making a DH course when it is a multiple use trail with hikers and walkers. I have watched these guys blow by me and people trying to hike up or down the trail. They are gonna get things shut down for all of us. Coming down is definitely fun, but you have to look ahead and be prepared to stop. I have had hikers surprised when I stop to let them walk by. Most don't know bikers have the least amount of right of way on the trails. Some are appreciative to learn that they have the right of way instead of the bikers barreling down on them.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

Frame Building Moderator
    Remember, it's ok if you just yell "STRAVA!" on your Jenni's shred-run. Don't forget your GoPro!

Isn't Jenni's one-way uphill only most of the way? I basically never ride it but I seem to remember that they decided to make it uphill only for bikes at some point.

-W

mtbr member
    Jenni's is one way up hill for about the first half. It's a nice beginner ride, then go down Loose Moose.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Went up to PCMR to ride up Jenni's with a noob. I've never seen it so crowded...that's fine, lots of people out having a good time on a nice day. Also, lots of the folks riding the lifts are clearly unfamiliar with etiquette or with their own abilities.
    So, advice for the downhillers:
    1. Jenni's is a beginner trail with lots of uphill traffic and hikers. There are much better routes down the mountain.
    2. If you must go down Jenni's, remember, uphill traffic has the right of way. Yes, even if you buy a lift ticket!
    3. You're (apparently) NOT good enough to squeeze around uphill traffic when it's narrow. Must you prove this over and over?
    4. You have a front brake. Use it. If you have 50 feet to stop before you run someone over, using only your rear brake and shouting "whoa" will get you stopped. In 52 feet!
    Thank you for your attention. Sadly, anyone reading this is wise enough to understand, so consider it a rant.
    I would say the problem is not the riders, but the trails. This seems like a likely outcome if you put trays up without a well designed, built trail system. Once the lift is in, it is fair to expect directional down trails. I would say why subject yourself to the frustration? It is so easy to ride without crowds.

I am hoping they start building some high quality trails.

mtbr member
    Jenni's isn't a directional downhill. It's the riders. They can be held responsible for their actions.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 06-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    I would say the problem is not the riders, but the trails. This seems like a likely outcome if you put trays up without a well designed, built trail system. Once the lift is in, it is fair to expect directional down trails. I would say why subject yourself to the frustration? It is so easy to ride without crowds.

I am hoping they start building some high quality trails.
    This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Its like saying "Officer its not my fault I drove too fast, ran into an oncoming car and caused a 15 car pile up on I15. I just hope they start building some high quality interstates.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    PCMR was a zoo because of the huge bike demo going on. Tons more riders than usual, and many of them riders that probably normally don't ride those trails. The opportunity to ride premium bikes and a 50% discount on all day lift tickets made yesterday much different than the usual. Not saying any of these are good reasons to be a dick on the trails, just that it may have attracted more ***** than usual. The ratio of ***** to courteous riders should be back to normal now, and is probably about the same ratio as every other multi use trail around here

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Jenni's isn't a directional downhill. It's the riders. They can be held responsible for their actions.
    The riders can be responsible! kinda. I am saying they don't know any better. Who will pay for lift served mountain biking without one decently built trail? People who don't know how to ride will be the majority of consumers. Expecting that crowd to know their stuff is not reasonable. People who know won't ride there. It's kinda like riding up spiro and expecting to have the right of way. According to common practices you should, but it is stupid to not be ready to clear out of someone's way. I am not saying bombing spiro is fun or morally correct, I am saying a lot of folks do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    do they have Bike Patrol that will clip tickets if some wanker is repeatedly putting others at risk? If not they should, just like on snow....

Frame Building Moderator
    Yeah, running the lift in an area with nothing but beginner-level XC trails is sort of asking for trouble unless you do a good job signing things and designate some DH-only routes. PCMR will eventually have to get their act together... assuming PCMR still exists in 6 months, that is.

I would love to see a bike patrol that could clip tickets, that would be pretty awesome. Not sure that's in the summer operations budget, though.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    more one-way trails would be great IMO. could easily make existing trails directional with signage and could change it up every few years.

for example could make spiro/armstrong a one-way loop that alternates every year.

I love ripping down spiro but not on weekends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    it just takes a couple lawsuits to get the company to realize they need to keep things in check or else....

Frame Building Moderator
    I don't have a dog in the Vail/Talisker vs. Powdr fight but I do have to say that based on what Vail has been building, trail-wise, at the Canyons... new management could be a good thing at PCMR at least as far as bikes are concerned.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I don't have a dog in the Vail/Talisker vs. Powdr fight but I do have to say that based on what Vail has been building, trail-wise, at the Canyons... new management could be a good thing at PCMR at least as far as bikes are concerned.

-Walt
    Sweet, if this did happen I assume there would be tons of flow trails, and no legitimate downhill trails. Good news for the tank top crowd, but not old school riders.

Frame Building Moderator
    There will be no "legitimate downhill trails" at PCMR ever. The mountain is already *covered* with XC trails. No room for DH, nor really appropriate terrain IMO. So yes, it would probably be flow trails. Which is what most people seem to want nowadays, c'est la vie.

My point was that at least VR/Canyons is working to build trails that are not XC trails and are enjoyable for gravity folks. PCMR has done zilch for the DH/FR crowd.

-Walt

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Most of the trails in PC seemed to have been designed w/ cross country riding in mind. While a lot of folks (including myself) do like to bomb down, the hard work of climbing up makes many of us aware enough that people will be coming from the opposite direction. However, with the new, well-promoted lift-served access, and you have a whole bunch of people (mostly noobs & gapers) who are suddenly unaware that anyone would want to ride uphill. So, it's not surprising that there's going to be a few more close calls. It's kinda like turning all of the backcountry touring routes in the winter into lift-served DH routes. It's gonna cause some issues eventually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkb5150 View Post
    PCMR was a zoo because of the huge bike demo going on. Tons more riders than usual, and many of them riders that probably normally don't ride those trails. The opportunity to ride premium bikes and a 50% discount on all day lift tickets made yesterday much different than the usual. Not saying any of these are good reasons to be a dick on the trails, just that it may have attracted more ***** than usual. The ratio of ***** to courteous riders should be back to normal now, and is probably about the same ratio as every other multi use trail around here
    Thanks, that's good to know. I'm probably going to pass on taking anyone up there on weekends anyway, but that makes it feasible.