Which PC resort for a beginner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Hope Which PC resort for a beginner?

Hi! My husband and I just moved to Park City and are upgrading our trail bikes (yay!). I'm riding a Juliana Furtado C R AM and he's on a (demo) Santa Cruz 5010 C S AM this week.

We we want to hit up one of the resorts, but I'm not sure where we will find the best riding for my skill level. We've mostly ridden in Atlanta/N Georgia/Chattanooga areas. Recently Miami "trails" too.

I can do any green I come across and feel pretty okay on most blues. Sometimes I wimp out and walk around the tough stuff I like technical stuff, enjoy flowy pump-track style, dislike going too fast down hills, and lose momentum that I should keep. No jumping for this lady.

So.... What do you recommend for lift assisted fun? We've walked down some of the Canyons trails (Alpine Lake to Holly) and I'm pretty confident I could do it with no problem. But I don't want to spend money for a lift pass for just one trail! Are there other similar trails at Canyons? How does Deer Valley compare? I can't seem to find a good PCMR map online, and it's half the price -- is there anything there I'd enjoy?

Thanks for your help!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    begin by exploring the lower Park City Resort trails. Up/down Jenni's, traverse Mid Mountain. Come down CMG, Loose Moose, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you want lift assisted fun then I would recommend Deer Valley which is more beginner friendly as they have quite a few tourists that rent bikes and ride the easier trails. There are numerous trails varying in difficulty that you can ride and combine which can easily take up a day or two versus Canyons/Park City Resort which have a limited number of runs. While Deer Valley does have their new "flow" trail the riding there is more slow, technical riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks so much for the suggestions! Today we parked near Empire, rode Midmountain to Johns99 and looped back with Little Chief. We LOVED IT. There were certainly places where I had to hike-a-bike, but they were short. I think the length (6.4 miles) was perfect for today. After living in Miami for a year I definitely have some conditioning to do ;D

mtbr member
    If you are living in PC, I expect you'll do way more trail riding Vs lift served riding. Round Valley has a good variety to start with. My wife likes the Jenny's to mid mountain to Spiro loop and the Armstrong to mid mountain down Spiro. Also up Jenny's to Tommy two step to the Yurt. We've been here for 25 years, but she just started mountain biking about 4 years ago (at the age of 58), so she's still getting up to speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    PCG,

one of the best tips I can give you for now is to ride the Purple bus from the Transit Center (at :13 and :43 past the hour) up to Empire Lodge, 1400' vertical for free. Then take Mid Mountain South, and you have a choice of descents; Little Chief, Johns 99, Jennis, CMG, Loose Moose, Spiro, etc.

http://www.parkcity.org/Modules/Show...ocumentid=3729

You can do this while you adjust to the elevation.

The busses only run until Sept 7, then they either stop or the schedule changes as they prepare for the Winter season.

My recommendation is to ride the stuff up high now while you can, you'll get another month of riding the stuff below Mid Mountain when the top is snowed up.

Perpetual n00b
    If you see a trail called TG, avoid it like the plague.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    If you see a trail called TG, avoid it like the plague.
    You want it for yourself?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    You want it for yourself?
    Yea right. As of yesterday it looks like this:

I read they put in a new trail cut so maybe the section I rode was abandoned. Still had all the signs on it though.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Love all the suggestions! Jenni's looks like a super fun ride -- but I don't know if my squishy Miami body is up for all that climbing yet. A few weeks and I'll be ready!

I didn't realize the bus goes all the way up there -- I will definitely have to take advantage of that free uphill!

My husband ordered his bike yesterday, so we are super super excited about getting on the trails next weekend ;D

mtbr member
    My girlfriend and I recently fell in love with the trails up at the PC resort. We love to take the lift up and do tommy's 2 step to mid mountain to jenni's to loose moose to CMG (I believe.) super fun, not too intense downhill. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    looks like Fat Lip and Bowhunter right now too. Princess Di was ridiculous yesterday with the overgrowth

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Buy a Mountain Trails Foundation map at any bike shop in town and throw it your pack.

Their website MountainTrails.org has an awesome map on it as well, but its always good to carry one with ya because there are about 1million intersections.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks! Yesterday we shuttled up to Guardsman and did the Wasatch Crest across to Canyons and down Ambush. I am really sore today after 15 miles with 1k ascent and almost 4K of down. But it was the best ride I've ever had. Ambush down was AMAZING. So smooth and so much fun. I think after that we are definitely going to try some lift assisted down hill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sounds like you will be the ones giving advice soon enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah, if you are going down Ambush and having a blast, you are no longer a beginner!