PC Mid-Mountain Snow Report- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

PC Mid-Mountain Snow Report

I rode up from Pinebrook today hoping this more exposed, lower elevation approach would yield minimum snow cover. Wrong. Snow was 20ft deep along the ridge. It was really sketchy traversing these, I've never considered using my bike in place of an ice axe before. I made the trip, but it was brutal. No mud though, the trail was dry other than the slabs of snow.

Bored Carp
    I just rode Spiro-Eagle-CMG. Trails are perfect as long as you do them in that order and descend the way you came up. Spiro has never been so much fun (partly because there isn't anyone riding it right now). Stopped at the top to check the MM - looks like 3-4 days of good warm weather will open a mile or two of that trail heading north. From what I have heard (as of today), the southern parts are a long way off.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Fartographer
    Mmmmmm. I love (hate) that Spiro climb
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    I just rode Spiro-Eagle-CMG. Trails are perfect as long as you do them in that order and descend the way you came up. Spiro has never been so much fun (partly because there isn't anyone riding it right now). Stopped at the top to check the MM - looks like 3-4 days of good warm weather will open a mile or two of that trail heading north. From what I have heard (as of today), the southern parts are a long way off.

C
    Just so I understand - the section of the Spiro that goes out to the MM and towards powerline, that's no good - hence the route up Eagle and CMG. And like you said, you just have to out-and-back it. Also, what did the MM look like where the CMG hits it? You didn't turn left to explore? Whoops, just read your other post - I got it. Thanks.

I thought I read someone went through John's ... did you look over in that area at all? The sweeney's must be clear.

mtbr member
    I just got home from riding Sweeny's to John's, back down to John's 99 over to Gravedigger and back down the road by the water tower.

Sweeny's and John's are in great shape. The soil is a little damp and packed out which makes for great riding. No spots wet enough to dampen a tire. The trail is in great shape. Prepared to be whacked by some of the bushes as they have over grown in spots. I set a personal time to climb record today and it's probably due to the quality of the surface.

Same with John's 99.

Gravedigger has a short section through a bit of frozen snow on the drop after the climb on th gravel road. It didn't even get the tire wet, again. Then there are a couple of spots where you have to go over trees that have come down.

Ran into a guy that said Midmountain from John's to Spiro is good except for a couple of snow spots, but no mud. Didn't check out Spiro or that section myself.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode Spiro-MM-John's 99-Sweeney's today. A few small hike-a-bike snow patches along MM in the dense trees just before the intersection with CMG. Otherwise, looking good. Saw a few riders headed from DV on MM, and they said that there were quite a few downed trees between PC and DV.

A few friends of mine were going from PC to Canyons on MM. Not sure why they tried that. I heard second-hand that they were moving trees and such. Didn't hear about how much snow was left, but it didn't sound too rideable to me, heh. Maybe by July, since the weather is finally getting closer to normal 'round here.

mtbr member
    I rode Spiro to MM yesterday and there was lot's of snow. Doable, but not great. I veered of onto the doubletrack and that was good for a workout anyway. Rode up to mid-mountain lodge with no problem. 4:20, John's and Sweeny's are all fine, no snow or deadfall.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by PC_Vern
    I rode up from Pinebrook today hoping this more exposed, lower elevation approach would yield minimum snow cover. Wrong. Snow was 20ft deep along the ridge. It was really sketchy traversing these, I've never considered using my bike in place of an ice axe before. I made the trip, but it was brutal. No mud though, the trail was dry other than the slabs of snow.

I was gonna do that ride today but never got around to it...20ft?! How far up PB were you able to get?
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    2010 Rigid Salsa Selma SS
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Wink Stay Away!

Today: Spiro is perfect all the way to Mid Mountain. If you try to take the MM North, there are several large snow drifts about 20 feet from the road (Thayne's). The MM back to Johns (South) has several (half a dozen maybe) snow drifts and mudholes. Once you hit the intersection with Crescent Mine Grade it's absolutely great all the way to Johns.

I bet this route is bone dry by Wednesday.

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JMH; 06-16-2008 at 11:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Rode Spiro to Mid Mtn then over to DV. Mid Mtn from Town lift to DV needs some trail work. Lots of fallen trees. Otherwise it was awesome...glad to be back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Today: Spiro is perfect all the way to Mid Mountain. If you try to take the MM South, there are several large snow drifts about 20 feet from the road (Thayne's). The MM back to Johns (North) has several (half a dozen maybe) snow drifts and mudholes. Once you hit the intersection with Crescent Mine Grade it's absolutely great all the way to Johns.

I bet this route is bone dry by Wednesday.

JMH
    Thanks for the great update JMH. Although, I think you have your N-S backwards. Johns is south of Thaynes in my mind. I prefer just climbing Eagle - CMG anyways.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    Thanks for the great update JMH. Although, I think you have your N-S backwards. Johns is south of Thaynes in my mind. I prefer just climbing Eagle - CMG anyways.
    Correct! Edited.

Chuky said the Eagle/CMG option is dry, so that would miss the snow we encountered. I would like to see how high you can get on CMG since a lot of that route is in the sun, but I imagine its blocked in the trees.

mtbr member
    what about mid mt from the canyons to deer valley? Thinks its rideable all the way?

Fartographer

Last Saturday

I did my first PC ride of the season last Saturday. It was awesome. I did hit some snow. But not enough to be a bother. I had to get off the bike 4 or 5 times but never for more than a few steps. I took the camera along so I could make a report, but this is the first chance I've had to set up the photos and share. And as JMH said in his most recent post, it's probably a lot different by now. I will know more later today, as I am going to ride it again this evening. And I am really looking forward to it! The Spiro to Mid-Mountain to Sweeney's is one of my favorite evening loops.

The two snowy photos here were taken at the intersection of Spiro and Mid-Mountain. That was probably the snowiest section when I rode on Saturday. The other photo is just a self-portrait I took from one of the ski runs on Mid-Mountain, near the top, before you drop back down towards the Town Lift.

Should be starting from the main parking lot at about 6, this evening. I will be taking pictures. It would be fun if a few riders want to join us. And it's nice to have someone else to take pictures of once in a while

Oh yeah - photos were taken with my own Canon PowerShot SD950 IS. You can read my review of the SD950 IS here >>

Fartographer

Good job! This Evening

Got a late start and had to take some pictures. So all we did was ride up Spiro to Mid Mountain and then turn around and come back. I almost never ride down Spiro so it's always a treat when I do. I did notice it's a lot shorter on the way down...

The snow. What snow? All gone on Spiro. You only have to get off your bike to gasp for breath. I mean, I don't. But you probably do.

Luddite technophile
    Hey - I was coming down when you were going up on Saturday - not hard to remember that face.

Fartographer

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kgginslc
    Hey - I was coming down when you were going up on Saturday - not hard to remember that face.
    Next time say hello! I think you were the only person I saw on the trail that day. Word must be out that it's good because it was comparatively busy last night.

Luddite technophile
    You betcha - I'll know who you are next time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    With luck if the XL bike I picked out is still available at the Trek demo, I'll ride the Spiro/MM/Sweeny or Johns loop tonight and will report back. My guess is it is fine. This will be my first ride on this side of Park City this year. Again Spin Cycle and over there in DV is doing great, melted out and cleared out...

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    With luck if the XL bike I picked out is still available at the Trek demo, I'll ride the Spiro/MM/Sweeny or Johns loop tonight and will report back. My guess is it is fine. This will be my first ride on this side of Park City this year. Again Spin Cycle and over there in DV is doing great, melted out and cleared out...
    Based on the amount of snow that disappeared between Saturday and last night, I expect it will be perfect. I'm thinking of seeing how far I can get up Thayne's, tomorrow. From the intersection of Spiro and MM, yesterday, I couldn't see any snow. I'm sure it's there, though.

mtbr member

Mid-Moumtain is an absolute go.

I just got home. Rode it as a loop from the Canyons parking lot over to PC, Spiro / Thaynes to MM northbound and back down to the parking lot. There are maybe 8 to 10 downed trees and a handful of snow banks near the north end before you begin the drop back down to the Canyons, but nothing major. Minimal mud. Go play. Me go to bed.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOOTERINSLC
    I just got home. Rode it as a loop from the Canyons parking lot over to PC, Spiro / Thaynes to MM northbound and back down to the parking lot. There are maybe 8 to 10 downed trees and a handful of snow banks near the north end before you begin the drop back down to the Canyons, but nothing major. Minimal mud. Go play. Me go to bed.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

For sure...our first leg of the Solstice Ride yesterday was Spiro to Mid-Mountain out to Rob's/Colin's....not bad at all. Man, the water runoff was flowing sooo fast up at The Canyons.

Someone who talked to Bob Radke earlier in the week said his crew was going to be up there this week clearing trail....hopefully Pinebrook clears soon.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

cranktankerous Mainer
    Using the Sterling lift and going from there, I only encounter two spots of snow last Friday. Little hiking in the backside meadow (but the road is clear) some snow on Deer Camp in the woods and parts of Flagstaff loop (I think), but the snow really wasn't an issue at all, at least compared to what I usually ride in Maine during the winter. Trails were in great shape, little soggy up in the meadow and I walked on the snow, but once the trail freed up it was totally dry. I only encountered one fallen tree that I could not ride over.

I thought the biggest problem with Mid Mountain was that big construction site, trail seemed closed, but people were riding around the gates, but I just didnít want to risk a major back track, we were running out of daylight (and water) so we got off Mid mountain at that point, but it was great on the other side agin.

Anyway great trip, excellent riding you all have out there!

the ride-
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6058773

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode it all this weekend...100% a go aside from a few downed trees that will hopefully be cut this week or so, definitely chainsaw material - the pac saw would'nt make a dent....

Also, the Pinebrook trails are in terrific shape - only one or two patches of snow up top.

Fartographer

Went To The Top

I rode to the top on Saturday. That is, up Spiro to Thaynes, across the bottom of Shadow Lake, and then up to the intersection with the Crest Trail. I started hitting snow about a quarter mile past the intersection of Mid Mountain and Spiro. But it wasn't too bad until the fire road right before Jupiter lift. The creek crossing before the right-hand fireroad switchback was covered with snow on the far side and then almost the whole bit up to the lift is covered in snow. Past Shadow Lake, the road is very wet. I was basically riding in a creek. I almost missed the switchback in the road because it had so much snow on it. After that, there are quite a few snow fields to cross. But if the weather holds, most of it will probably be gone in a week. When I went up there was water coming down. When I came back down, at about noon, there was tons more. The snow is melting like crazy.

I met a hiker at the top who had come up from Mill D and Desolation Lake. He said that stuff wasn't going to be ridable for a while yet.

I came back the same way until I hit Mid Mountain. There, I turned right and rode across and then down John's. Smashed a knuckle on an Aspen on John's. I love that trail!

The photo with me in it has Jupiter Bowl in the background. And you can see Shadow Lake near the bottom. The other two photos are both from near the top of the road, at about 9200 feet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cool. I rode Johns down on Friday night, it was awesome. I took a whole bunch of pics but haven't had a chance to pull them off my camera yet. Very cool... A

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Rode it all this weekend...100% a go aside from a few downed trees that will hopefully be cut this week or so, definitely chainsaw material - the pac saw would'nt make a dent....

Also, the Pinebrook trails are in terrific shape - only one or two patches of snow up top.
    any info on the pinebrook trails...seems awfully hard to find a map of em.

Ever ride from there, across MM to PC, up to crest and back again? Just curious what it would be like. ( pretty long, but how does it compare to say starting at the canyons and doing the same? )

Fartographer
    Pinebrook is the drop into Jeremy Ranch at the north end of the Mid Mountain trail, right?

mtbr member
    Man, I was just in there this weekend (dropping my daughters off to college) but didn't bring my bike. I wondered if higher PC was rideable yet. Gotta get there soon.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

The Tyranical Teabagger
    There's a reason why Mid Mountain ends on the map and is suggested as an "out and back." All those trails in Pinebrook are private...paid for by the Pinebrook Homeowners Assoc. Last year I found the map on their site and posted a link to it in the UT forum. It was quickly taken down...

I heard in a meeting last year regarding PC trails that some douchebag was complaining about people riding "his" private trails in PB. Someone in the meeting asked him if he enjoyed riding the trails in Glenwild...his response was yes. He didn't understand the question.

Anyways, the best way to explore it is to come from mid-mountain into Pinebrook...I usually bang a left at the trail sign with the KUHL sticker on it and go from there....you can link all the way down to Gorgoza Park if you wish and then have a beer at Oshucks. It's a fun little area and I've ridden there on weekends for hours and not seen a soul.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Is the trail of the hunter considered a pinebrook trail? Where do you park in pinebrook to start foem that direction?

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm
    I heard in a meeting last year regarding PC trails that some douchebag was complaining about people riding "his" private trails in PB. Someone in the meeting asked him if he enjoyed riding the trails in Glenwild...his response was yes. He didn't understand the question.
    That's funny

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's a reason why Mid Mountain ends on the map and is suggested as an "out and back." All those trails in Pinebrook are private...paid for by the Pinebrook Homeowners Assoc. Last year I found the map on their site and posted a link to it in the UT forum. It was quickly taken down...

Anyways, the best way to explore it is to come from mid-mountain into Pinebrook...I usually bang a left at the trail sign with the KUHL sticker on it and go from there....you can link all the way down to Gorgoza Park if you wish and then have a beer at Oshucks. It's a fun little area and I've ridden there on weekends for hours and not seen a soul.
    Ya...I have heard similar stories. Ok...so I'll explore from MM out. Maybe I'll have to knock the jockies off the rich people's lawns on my way through...

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    Is the trail of the hunter considered a pinebrook trail? Where do you park in pinebrook to start foem that direction?
    If you look at the map where MM ends is where it begins to enter PB. I asked Carol Potter of Mountain Trails why they don't put it on the map and she made it sound like it just wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with them to put it on.

Sooo...there is an easy way albeit long climb to MM by parking at that Albertsons and going up the Gorgoza trail but it does get a little confusing at first. I might ride it this weekend and use my Edge 205 and upload the map for you...or, if I can find the PB map I got from their site last year I'll put it up for you. I truly feel that that section of MM is the best part and coming from The Canyons it is a wicked descent. If I want to do a short loop I'll actually ride to Robs/Colins trail and climb that to MM and just head out to Pinebrook. Fun ride...
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    any info on the pinebrook trails...seems awfully hard to find a map of em.

Ever ride from there, across MM to PC, up to crest and back again? Just curious what it would be like. ( pretty long, but how does it compare to say starting at the canyons and doing the same? )

Are you talking about climbing UP the Crest Connector? Because that would suck....

If you start at PB and go all the way to Deer Valley and up to the Crest and loop it...that would be a nice loooong ride and consider you're basically climbing the whole way to Spiro and then some from PB.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    If you cna host the trail map yourself, there would be no way they could take it down.

http://www.pinebrookrealestate.info/trail-maps.html

this yielded nothing....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Are you talking about climbing UP the Crest Connector? Because that would suck....

If you start at PB and go all the way to Deer Valley and up to the Crest and loop it...that would be a nice loooong ride and consider you're basically climbing the whole way to Spiro and then some from PB.
    yeah, that's exactly what i'm asking about -- the climb up from PB ... I guessed it might suck, that's why I asked.

I have done that same loop from the bottom of the canyons pretty regularly up Rob's etc-> MM->PC->Crest->Canyons. Wanted to know what it would be like to tack on PB. Looks like I could start at PB, but just ride the road around to the ski jump and then go on up through there. Hate the pavement with knobbies tho'

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It is annoying, Deer Crest, Glenwild, The Colony, all much higher dollar excusive neighborhoods all have no issues with the trails and them being published. Supposedly the trails have changed over time a little, and there are supposedly some pretty good trails there. During the epic last weekend some friends took a wrong turn (10 miles added) and ended up in Pinebrook instead of Sun Peak. Would be cool if someone had a map or wanted to get them labeled and published, if even "underground."

mtbr member

millcreek upper gate?

Is it open those of you who have been riding big water..Or do you have to park at the gate and ride up the road..Gonna do this ride tomorrow am and just wondering what to expect

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    It is annoying, Deer Crest, Glenwild, The Colony, all much higher dollar excusive neighborhoods all have no issues with the trails and them being published. Supposedly the trails have changed over time a little, and there are supposedly some pretty good trails there. During the epic last weekend some friends took a wrong turn (10 miles added) and ended up in Pinebrook instead of Sun Peak. Would be cool if someone had a map or wanted to get them labeled and published, if even "underground."

Were you with the Solstice ride on Saturday? A few guys with our group blew past the trails to Sun Peak and went out to Pinebrook...

I have a map on my pc at home...I'll try to remember to post it sometime. It used to be hosted here ( but no more ):

http://pbhoa.org/maps.php

I've climbed from PB and descended into it from MM...I always see guys wondering where the hell they are! Maybe we should do a group ride some day? I'm riding up to MM saturday by way of Rob's/Colin's and out to PB. I have a Garmin and I'll throw up a .gpx file this week. The way I come out of MM takes me to Gorgoza but there's a bunch of other ways to get dumped out.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

Look out!
    I will be in PC next week and wanted to ride Spiro to MM to Canyons. Is that open now? Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member

Trail from bottom of Pinebrook

I posted a trail guide, with mileages under trails section in MTBR years ago. Updated it about a week ago. It's pretty specific. If you have an odometer it helps. Also, as updated recently, the trails going up are now labeled. It's a nice climb...some technically demanding switchbacks and a couple of steep climbs to get your heart rate up. You can get to the MM trail or bypass it for a shorter ride that has some nice challenges.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Here ya go...this map isn't 100% accurate as it doesn't show the way to connect to MM via the Western Perimeter trail so I drew a fat, red line in it's place.

I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here ya go...this map isn't 100% accurate as it doesn't show the way to connect to MM via the Western Perimeter trail so I drew a fat, red line in it's place.
    Nice! Thanks. Any chance you can link me to a high res version of that?

mtbr member

a bit of snow on Holly's

I rode this trail for the first time just over a week ago being town for just a few days. I started at Deer Valley Resort with a bit of interesting route finding at this end, stopped for lunch at Red Pine Lodge and continued on to Holly's where I did hit a bit of snow and dropped down caught the bus to town then rode to Snow Park Lodge to catch the lift back up to DV - what an incredible ride.

I added a few pics from the ride to my photos page (three quarters of the way down).

www.trexnfx.com

T-Rex

The Tyranical Teabagger
    unfortunately that's the version they had on their site a few years ago...i emailed them asking for the Delorme files because i RENTED in Pinebrook but they wouldn't give it to me. They said it was for homeowners only....
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Rode from DV to Holly trail at the canyons yesterday. MM was is awesome shape, no snow, no mud no downed tree. Hollys had one patch of snow and one patch of un passable mud on it.

awesome ride I took some pictures ill get them up soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    unfortunately that's the version they had on their site a few years ago...i emailed them asking for the Delorme files because i RENTED in Pinebrook but they wouldn't give it to me. They said it was for homeowners only....
    dorks

thanks anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wanted to say thanks to the folks who posted up in this thread, particularly on the Pinebrook stuff. Rode midmoutain from DV to Pinebrook today. Long long ride on the rigid single speed But really good times, one of the first times where the SS did not totally spank me on a long ride... The Pinebrook trails were awesome, sort of a great ending to it all. I figure about 30-35 miles today, good stuff I also found out they give away nice glossy 11 x 17 maps of the pinebrook area for free at the Gorgoza Water company. Cheers, A

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It's good. The climb up the Pinebrook trails is hefty. But fun ;-)

Did a loop last summer, started at Big Water TH, went to the top of Millcreek and dropped Ridge Connector to MM and took Trail of the Hunter out to Pinebrook, descended and crossed over to Jeremy Ranch where I rode over to the North end of 24/7. Took 24/7 to Flying Dog, went clockwise to Cobblestone and Glenwild. At Glenwild, took the bike path over to the Park City Community Church and ascended Rob's/Collins to MM and rode across to CMG where I headed up, linked onto Apex and Shadow Lake Trail, ascended to Scott's Pass and took the Crest back over to Millcreek canyon where I descended to Big Water TH. Great day.

I don't describe the loop to sound tough or cool. There are folks out there doing much bigger stuff than this. Only to illustrate that there are a boatload of cool big rides you can do and your imagination/time/legs are the only limiting factors. Get inspired and go ride!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Sooo...I took a quick ride up to Mid-Mountain via Rob's/Colin's and over to Pinebrook last night. First time this year I've gone to Pinebrook and I realized that the trail marker with the "KUHL" sticker is gone. If you want to do the West Perimeter trail out towards Gorgoza, take a left at the two trail markers and then you will come down a double track with a water tank on your right. On your left will be a trail but there is no marker and you could blow right by it....take that left and it will eventually get you to Gorgoza. I couldn't do that loop because of the time but I will put up a garmin/gpx file one of these days.
    I like bikes.
    2015 Transition Smuggler
    2015 Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    just re-reading some of these posts, I think I missed that turn out to Gorgonzola...if you do get a gpx file, i would love to see it.

Members who have read this thread: 0