Passing through Utah, want to ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Passing through Utah, want to ride

I have to drive back East from Las Vegas. I'm looking for a place to ride some cross country on the way. I have been riding MTB's for almost a year here in PA and can't pass up the chance to ride Utah. Looking for a 2-3 hour ride and back on the road. I'm willing to meet up with someone if they want to tour guide. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

I'd rather be biking...
    I assume you are driving up I-15 to I-70 and then off to Colorado? You will be driving through St. George/hurricane area there is a lot of stuff to ride around there and then Moab would be a good idea to visit (very Utah) It's not to far off the freeway for a light detour

1. St. George: Gooseberry Mesa is some awesome technical singletrack/slickrock riding with great views. It would be a 2-4 hour ride depending on how many different loops you would like to do. Jem/hurricane rim/goulds trail is about 22 mile large loop of 3 trails and would take a few hours to complete or mix and match jem and canal

as for Moab im sure someone else can chime in w/ info for ya
    Last edited by shelbster15; 09-08-2009 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's the exact route I am taking. I can't pass up a chance to ride Utah. I have been poking around online to find a ride. I just don't want to get lost. I'm used to single track around a creek so if I go downhill, I get to the creek and can always find my way.

mtbr member
    If you're in Moab on a week day, think about hitting the slickrock trail. Classic Utah ride, and not too crowded if you avoid the weekend. Plus it's really hard to get lost.

Or any of that St. George stuff shelbster mentioned.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What kind of bike do you suggest? Dual Suspension? Hard tail? Cross Bike? I can ride anything as I am driving a demo van back from Interbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    5-6" bike is perfect for Gooseberry. I consider it the most fun trail I've ever found (better than anything I've tried in Moab!) but nearby is Little Creek Mountain which is somewhat easier with better flow but harder to find and follow. If on I-70 you're also going thru Fruita with a ton of trails.
    Read that Landahl in Blue Springs, MO is a midwest classic but not been there.
    If hot your could detour thru Flagstaff on I-40. As trails start at 7000' and go to over 10,000' the trails are great and the weather always cool. Supermoto is a blast.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would love to ride with someone. I'll sponsor for lunch/beer/whatever. I have been looking online at Gooseberry and other trails. Bikingzion.com made me want to ride it. Anyone available on Sunday the 27th?

Members who have read this thread: 0