Park City XC tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City XC tires

Heya everybody,

I know I could search on this and find some answers, but I'm curious to get some updated info on what tires people are running on their XC bikes in Park City this summer. I've got a hardtail (Gary Fisher Marlin) with stock tires on it, and I'm looking to put some new rubber on this summer.

My initial thoughts are a Nevagal 2.1 up front and a Small Block 8 2.1 in the back. Anybody else running this combo?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Very popular. I'm still a Maxxis guy, but I think you'll do fine with that combo - I may even make the switch myself soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've been running the Conti Mtn King Protections 2.4's fr/rr and every now and then the 2.2 Race Kings with awesome success...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ran the Nevagal/SB8 combo last season on my Blur. Liked the setup a lot when the tires were new. However, I did find the SB8 wore quickly and had a signifigant loss of traction even after a small amount of tread wear, especially on roots and smooth rocks. (ie: Sweeny's/John's Trail) Have run Nevagals front and rear in the past and, while they roll slightly slower, prefer that setup for most Wasatch riding.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    I've been running the Conti Mtn King Protections 2.4's fr/rr and every now and then the 2.2 Race Kings with awesome success...
    Do you run those tubeless? I've been eyeing those tires for a while and I'm wondering how they would be on Stan's rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yup - tubeless w/ the Conti Protections. I've had awesome luck w/ these w/ just Stan's. I have run them w/ Mavic Crossmaxs' and Stans rims both set up super easy. IMO no need for UST specific tires - I would recommend he Protection sidewalls for a bit more cut resistance though and the fact that the Mtn King Protection has the kiler Black Chili rubber compound...

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825
    Yup - tubeless w/ the Conti Protections. I've had awesome luck w/ these w/ just Stan's. I have run them w/ Mavic Crossmaxs' and Stans rims both set up super easy. IMO no need for UST specific tires - I would recommend he Protection sidewalls for a bit more cut resistance though and the fact that the Mtn King Protection has the kiler Black Chili rubber compound...
    Cool, thank you. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of those.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb
    Cool, thank you. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of those.
    Hope the black chili-protection is better than the regular cause I went through a set of those in 2 weeks.

Members who have read this thread: 0