Park City Weather- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Park City Weather

My husband and I have a place in Park City, UT that we spend alot of time there during the year. We live in south Florida and normally, we head out to PC in early July but this year, we are doing something different. We are driving out in early May and staying for 5 months. We can't wait but here is where we need your help if possible.

My husband is a high level sport racer and I am still in the beginner class but looking to move up to sport by the end of the summer. We are REALLY looking forward to all the MTB races in and around the PC area during the summer. We plan to enter many of the ICUP races as well as the Wednesday evening Sundance/Soldier Hollow races too. Lastly, we plan to race in the NMBS Race at Deer Valley on June 15-17 and this is where we could use your help.

My question to you Utah-ins is about the weather in Park City area during the late spring, early summer, in particular late May and early June. During this time, are we going to be racing in the mud most of the time? Also, will the temperatures require warm weather clothes when racing? I know you can't predict the weather but I was wondering if we are going to be racing and training in the mud during this time? Thanks for your help and hope to see you out there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Crystal ball shows clear skys
    magic 8 ball says possibly.
    Truth - most of UT will be dry by then especially this year - i believe march and early April will be crucial.
    I bet that rain might come once a week then. So its a bet.
    I bet that you will have rain two days before the race and everything will be dry and clean on race day. oh but watch out for the large puddle under the hanging tree.
    best of luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Most of the areas that hold the races

are pretty low in elevation and dry by may. Soldier hollow is dry right now. I have raced alot of Icup races and have only done 2 or 3 that were really muddy (usually due to storms). Sundance is in april at a pretty high elevation and last year there was still snow/mud. I would not worry about the weather too much. PC is awsome for MTB. There are low lying trails that you can ride in May while the snow melts off the high evevation Mountain ones. By July normally everything is dry.

As far as warm clothes you should have a light jacket and arm/leg warmers for early morning starts, or late evening rides, but during the day its just shorts and a jersy
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pedal,

Do you know the condition of Glenwild or Round Valley? I'd like to ride there tomorrow am.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I don't but I would bet its rideable.

At least the sunny side of glenwild usually drys out quick.

Let me know the conditions after your recon mission.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Pedal,

Do you know the condition of Glenwild or Round Valley? I'd like to ride there tomorrow am.

Thanks
    I tried ROund Valley about 5 days ago (from NAC side) and it was soft and muddy. I would try Glenwild...if I wasn't sick...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Everything should be way faster this spring (if the weather holds up). There is very little snow on the mountains - ski runs without snowmaking are mostly done. It looks like upper trails should be fine at least 3 weeks earlier compared to last year. Wasatch Crest in mid May...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it is.

Aug 2004
    I rode the front side of Glennwild on Sun. and it was good to go then, two muddy spots in the normal places for early season. I haven't been in town since Tues, so I don't know what the weather has been like, but if it has stayed warm have at it.

As for the OP, there is plenty of riding to be had in May/early June. It's rare to see mud here, unless the trail had snow on it recently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Glenwild was great. It was frozen. Avoid it during the day as it will be muddy, miserable and damaging to the trail.

Started at the TH riding West toward 24/7. There were a few boggy spots (again, frozen for me - early am) but overall fairly dry. At the junction, I turned onto 24/7. The first couple hundred yards are soggy (unless frozen -- are y'all seeing a pattern? I rode everything frozen. If you go up in above freezing temps - go ride somewhere else for a couple of weeks because it is wet and soggy) and then the trail drys out.

Most of 24/7 is good. However, the sections that fold in on North facing slopes are still snow covered or very boggy. The snow was icy enough with freezing temps that I could ride on top (I'm fairly lightweight) and stay on the trail. The half of 24/7 on the Jeremy Ranch end is in great shape. Dry, not boggy, very rideable.

To ride from the Glenwild TH to Jeremy Ranch, go only if it is frozen or wait several weeks.

Keep your eyes open if you go up. You may be pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...yeah, that was my thought for Round Valley, do it early in the morning. When did you ride - 7-9am?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yeah,

Normally I'm up far earlier than that so I can get home by 7-8am to play with my kids in the morning. Had a late night and missed my alarm clock. Although, earlier wouldn't have made a difference in things being frozen -- it was a soft freeze last night.

Andykiller

Park City, Questionable Weather

Keep in mind that Park City has a short summer, typically three months before it starts to cool off again. During May and June, all bets are off. It could be snowing or it could be hot as hell. You have to play it day to day. The snow will probably be gone pretty fast this year, so unless we get a wet spring, the trails should be dry.

Good Luck

Members who have read this thread: 0