Park City trail surfaces?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Park City trail surfaces?

Hi,

I am planning an mid August trip to Park City.
    I read many description of the trails as being 'XC' and 'Smooth' and good dirt, but those terms are relative, I also came across a mention of 'deep dust'.

What are most of the trails closer to town like as far as surface goes in August?
    I believe there is not much riding on wet trails, correct?
    Hero dirt? Loose over hard? Rocky? Rooty? Sandy? Sharp rock? Kitty Litter? All of the above?

Thanks in advance for helping a tire nerd enjoy his trip out to your neck of the woods!

Your Best Friend
    Packed down dirt. Maybe a little loose over hard, maybe dusty. If they had rain it'll be hero dirt. Not likely that time of year though. You can rail the trails on minimal xc tires with no worries of washing out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    You can find some rocky trails and some rooty trails, but most trails are smooth. July and August are notorious for having serious moon dust on the more popular trails, but a quick rain shower will turn that around.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm planning a trip there for end of June...what kind of condition are the trails in now? Still mushy from the snow melt?

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    By mid June stuff up to 8500' or so should be good. We have lots of riding open already, come out and enjoy!

To the OP: The most popular/right out of old town trails (Spiro, Jenny's, Loose Moose, etc) will get dusty and brakebumped from 10,000 tourists pretty fast. If you venture a little ways away (to the Deer Valley side, over to the Canyons, Flying Dog/East Canyon trails, Lost Propector, etc) you will find plenty of nice dirt (and some rocks/roots) in great shape and not many other people around. All the trails (excluding John's and Sweeney's) right at the base area suck anyway, just avoid them.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    By mid June stuff up to 8500' or so should be good. We have lots of riding open already, come out and enjoy!

-Walt
    Excellent, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    To the OP: The most popular/right out of old town trails (Spiro, Jenny's, Loose Moose, etc) will get dusty and brakebumped from 10,000 tourists pretty fast. If you venture a little ways away (to the Deer Valley side, over to the Canyons, Flying Dog/East Canyon trails, Lost Propector, etc) you will find plenty of nice dirt (and some rocks/roots) in great shape and not many other people around. All the trails (excluding John's and Sweeney's) right at the base area suck anyway, just avoid them.
    -Walt
    Thanks for the tip! I will have to see how doable that is for us. We are doing a 2 family trip to visit friends in PC. Usually these family trips mean the moms go out for a 2 hour ride, then the dads do the same, then we go do family stuff in the afternoon. This means we end up not wanting to drive 20 minutes each way, as that takes out 1/3 of the riding time!

We might go over to those further away spots for a family ride with the kids some time though, if there are any appropriate trails for the 6-10 year old set, I will start reading up on trail descriptions.

Thanks all who answered!

I also spent some time squinting at the pics on MTBroject.com and they seem to mostly show hardpack with loose gravel/rubble in the low spots.

No need to drive anywhere, you can hit all of that stuff (except Flying Dog/E Canyon) within a few minutes on a bike path.

Are you looking for good kid rides that involve some amount of climbing, or shuttles? There are a ton of great kid shuttle rides as well as great XC depending on their motivation/fitness.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No need to drive anywhere, you can hit all of that stuff (except Flying Dog/E Canyon) within a few minutes on a bike path.

Are you looking for good kid rides that involve some amount of climbing, or shuttles? There are a ton of great kid shuttle rides as well as great XC depending on their motivation/fitness.

-Walt
    Kids rides with shuttles/lifts would be much preferred. Their motivation for climbing is poor, and even when they do, it tends to be very slow, so a ride that trends down allows a lot more miles of trail and smiles.

Any tips? I looked on MTBProject but no one has used the 'kid friendly' description option very much or well.

Tjaard, drop me an email or call me if you want more beta, but here's a quick hit list of shuttle rides for kids:

-UOP shuttle via Bear Hollow. Park at the gate, ride around it, and then descend either via Moose Puddle/RTS (completely nontechnical with a couple of tight switchbacks that can easily be walked) or Iron Bill (rougher/intermediate trail). Roughly 1500' of descending, very limited (no more than 5 minutes total) of climbing/pedaling.

-RTS shuttle via Olympic Park access road. Park at the visitor's center, walk/ride across the road and through the old gate and turn right (very short climb) to a nice 500' beginner descent that ends with a tiny bit of bike path to snacks in Kimball junction.

-Empire shuttle to Midmountain/PCMR trails. This will require more pedaling but is also more scenic/interesting. Drive up Guardsman Pass to where it intersects MM, ride north/west toward PCMR and descend any trail you want.

Note that the Payday lift (serves a bunch of very easy trails that would be great for a family ride) will be spinning starting on the 9th/Friday. So if you don't want to shuttle and are ok riding a smaller selection of trails, that could be a great option.

For reference our 5 year old rides RTS regularly and enjoys it, and he's not especially brave or skilled. Obviously kids will vary a lot in ability but that trail is a slam dunk for kids. Other stuff will depend on your kids and what they like.

-Walt