park city trail conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

park city trail conditions

First trip up to Park City this weekend. Weather forecast looks like some potential rain/snow Friday & Saturday. If it does get a little wet, will people be out riding Sunday/Monday?

Trying to figure if I should bring my bike. Opinions wanted. thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    definitely bring your bike. I am right in town, the trails are awesome..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I feel sorry for people

That are in Park city in Sept and Oct and don't have bikes.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK. Just needed a little nudge. I'll bring my bike, even if it means driving up two cars. Here's to no snow & clear skies! thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rode for 10.5 hours yesterday. Everything was perfect (except my legs ;-)

Today would be harsh to ride anywhere. However, if you are in the Salt Lake area, Corner Canyon and Quarry Trail in Little Cottonwood Canyon are typically good to ride in wet conditions - sandy, gravelly trail surface. Have fun!!!

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I rode Flying Dog this morning...it was a little greasy in spots but for the most part it was great. Back side of it still had snow with leaves on top of it...definately a photo op missed by not bringing the camera. Poor choice in rubber this morning running my Maxxis Crossmarks but all in all a good ride.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Oh yeah...virgin ride on my new carbon Rush 2!!!!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Rode Spiro, Crescent Mine Grade, etc. Down John's and Sweeny's. Everything was perfect, the few wet spots weren't bad enough to make a mess.

JMH

ride more.
    Nov 2004

Rode parts of mid-mounatin and tour de suds last night. One small patch of snow, little moist in some sections, but overall, very nice. Heading back up tonight to ride flying dog. Better get yours before the storm rolls in...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Two nights ago I rode from Prospector to above Snowpark above Spin Cycle and back and it was sick.. Temps got a little colder as sun set (in the 50/high 40's). But it was literally perfect, especially the trails. There were some little puddles here and there but nothing too bad at all. Last night would have literally been perfect, only got into the 50's overnight. According to the car it was 64 degrees at 10PM last night out at the Junction. Strongly tempted to go for a good ride tonight but I might miss out an a sweet diesel Mercedes for $800! otherwise if I do go riding... But it should be sick before this weekend's storm. Supposed to drop down to 25 degrees over the weekend. But back up to nice fall weather next week...

Bored Carp
    Big Water / Great Western are both ear-to-ear-grin perfect right now.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Shuttled the Ridge Trail yesterday and it was sooo buff...sadly I think our riding days are numbered....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

End of Season Gorging!

Seems we are all doing it. Thursday night I rode up Sweeney's/John's, then back down. Then over to Deer Valley via Suds, Flagstaff Loops to ride Deer Camp, Twist and Shout and over to the Deer Crest trails (Pipeline, Snowtop) and over to Lost Prospector and back to Park City parking lot.

Some friends went up on the Crest Thursday night. On their way up to Scott's Pass they heard a loud crack and a tree that snapped in the wind and lost its top fell in between the four of them. Yikes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Current trail conditions

Looking for current "post storm" trail conditions in PC.

Any and all input very much appreciated.

Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    About 38 degrees in town currently, probably in the low 30s easily up on the trail. We got a lot of rain and snow yesterday I would bet its pretty messy up there. I have always liked riding in messy stuff but sort of got chewed out pretty good by someone at the shops because it is/can be so dry up there as far as causing ruts and damage... Which I agree with...

Anyway, temps will be back up to comfortable fall in a day or two and most of the moisture soaked in by then so I would wait a day or two.. That is my plan...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

more current conditions

dieselcruiserhead,

Thanks for the post. We're on the fence about coming after calling three bike shops and getting mixed signals on trail conditions. At this point we'd leave on Tue and be riding on Wed through Mon hoping things would dry out enough.

Do you think Mid Mountain would be in decent shape? Would the Crest trail be just too wet? We be happy if we could ride the lower stuff without tearing up the trails or our bikes with mud.

Any updates you could give me would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mud is of no consequence . . .

If it is frozen. I'm thinking of hitting the Crest early Tuesday morning, if temps are cold enough. Great time for a winter ride before the snow up there gets too deep

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No I think everything will be fine.. It is in the 30s this morning but should be nice and into the 50s and maybe even low 60s throughout the week. I was thinking of going out today, if you are here on Wednesday you will have a blast... Don't worry about it too much IMO and definetely definetely bring your bikes... You will have a blast. Hopefully one of you has a camelbak with some room for some light extra layering...

Also just as I'd typed that things did clear up yesterday and it became a nice day.. I saw quite a few people heading out and it got into the 50s easily.. Also thing evaporate up very quickly too as its high desert... Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

10-10-07 trail conditions

Anyone been riding in Park City this week? Please let us know what it is like. Thanks.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Rode today and it was EPIC... conditions are perfect, just a few small wet spots. Go now, or don't go.

BTW, the handsome fella is my dad, MR JMH SR!

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Nice!!!

Thanks for the pics, JMH. Looks like I'll be headed up there. What did the Crest look like from where you were at? I like to park at Scott's Pass and ride into PC and then climb back out.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    It looked... snowy.

We encountered a few tiny slush patches at Mid Mountain and below. Haven't gone higher because of guest riders and the desire for shorter rides. But as long as we don't have rain (snow) it should just get better and better over the next few days.

The Moose are really low right now also. We saw a younger bull on MM, and a cow on Empire Link.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ucme4dk
    Thanks for the pics, JMH. Looks like I'll be headed up there. What did the Crest look like from where you were at? I like to park at Scott's Pass and ride into PC and then climb back out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Cool photos, JMH! Nice to see 'SR' hitting the local goodies.

We rode the Glenwild trails on Wednesday eve. Conditions were perfect. No mud around (except it did seem there was a bit inside my lungs!). Some dampness on Flying Dog's shady bits but no dust anywhere. Hit it while you can!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Headed up Big Water now, going to up the Crest and over to PC. Hope to make a nice big loop on the PC trails. Big Water was pretty muddy on Mon, hopefully better today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cool, I was out last night on the East side, Solarmere area, lower altitude, and it was killer. Temps dropped quickly though around 7-7:30 and it got cold... But terrain looking great, a few moist puddles here and there but thats it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Please let us know!

Err,

please let us know trail conditions. I move to Oregon next week and need another high elevation ride. Thanks!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    My route:
    Big Water
    Great Western up to the Crest
    down to Shadow lake loop
    over to Apex and down to Keystone
    climbed up McConkey's
    Then over to TG2?
    Wound up in the construction by Empire Lodge, zipped through
    Caught tour de suds and headed back towards PCMR
    At the mid-mountain/top of the town lift, caught Johns to Sweeneys to finish

Was pretty muddy riding up Big Water all the way to the top of the Crest.
    Shadow Lake loop was a little muddy, some snow.
    Apex, Keystone were clear and super fun
    Cut fresh snow tracks on the climb up McConkey's and the surrounding area, lots of down trees.
    Just a couple of stray snow drifts after that

All in all, a super fun day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Err,
    Thanks for the report. When you exit Keystone onto the service road, where do you climb McConkey's? I'm not familiar with all the names. Is it simply the service road climb or do you connect with another trail at the end of Keystone? Thanks

Looks wet up there today. We rode Corner Canyon this morning and it was terrific. Light mist on and off. Fast, tacky trail - no mud except a few puddles heading up Jacob's Ladder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    mostly wanted to report I am happy, warmed back up and the trails (especially in the sun) have dried out considerably. Some of the shady trails were still a little wet even as late as Thursday but still ridable... A lot of riders out there, seasons back open IMO just when you thought winter was here See what happens this week. Altitude is still pretty snowy...

The Tyranical Teabagger
    I did Round Valley, Glenwild to 24-7 and past the road crossing on 24-7, in that first draw was muddy as **** and people were bombing right through it. I walked it and then just went all the way to the end of 24-7 by the Jeremy Ranch golf club. My buddy rode flying dog today and said it was dry...go figure?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I take some of what I said back.. Lost Prospector today on the shady side was a complete mess. The good news is this was the worst of any trail I encountered today. I rode from there over Gamble Oak down to Solamere, and then over to Spin Cycle and back... On the sun side (the Solamere / Snowpark side) it was dry as a bone and awesome. Spin Cycle itself and near it were killer, surprisingly dry/lightly damp, and awesome... Around it it was lightly muddy moist, but not too bad including the climb. If you bike with out thinking about preserving the trail you can mess it up, but preserving the trail/not jerking too much is also the technique to get up these sections too! Coming back up from there was also a little lightly wet/muddy but nothing too bad and nothing as bad, again, as Lost Prospector which I would 100% recommend people staying off, at least from the Masonic intersection and east... I wanted to ride Masonic up but I figured it was a mess too... Hope it helps!

I heard Glenwild was also pretty killer.. Mostly dry but I heard there were more people there today than if it were early spring, I think people anticipating the sun. I rode Round Valley on friday and it was pretty much completely dry and in great shape...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mid-Mountain

Anyone been up there recently that could give a report on conditions? Thanks!

Fartographer

It Good

I rode it last Sunday and it was good. There were some muddy patches and some snow I couldn't make it through, but overall it was pretty excellent. And since it's probably frozen now, it's should be even better. I'm thinking of going today. My usual ride is up Spiro to Mid-Mountain then across and down Town Loop/John's/Sweeney's Switchbacks (I can't really tell which trail I'm on half the time.)
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thank You!

Thanks for the trail info. Folks here are great!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Be careful on the DOG, lots of lonely sheep, and about 8 BIG sheep dogs. (10/7)

Bored Carp
    Friend of a friend got her pet-dog pretty torn up by the sheep-dogs a couple of weeks ago, I guess.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

planning a trip this spring

Well I think my wife and I will finally take that trip to Park City this spring . We live in Seattle and do a lot of Cascade rides and love it so hopfully we wont be disapointed in PC . We both like XC and AMountain stuff. Go ahead give me some trails that are a must do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

planning a trip this spring

Well I think my wife and I will finally take that trip to Park City this spring . We live in Seattle and do a lot of Cascade rides and love it so hopfully we wont be disapointed in PC . We both like XC and AMountain stuff. Go ahead give me some trails that are a must do.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Friend of a friend got her pet-dog pretty torn up by the sheep-dogs a couple of weeks ago, I guess.
    WHAT A SHAME! People should know, these are not Border collie type sheep-dogs. They are HUGE dogs, Great Pirrenise(?), and alot of them. They are NOT pets!!! They are working dogs, with one job, protect the flock. People should treat these dogs with respect. They see other dogs as a threat, and they see no distinction between a coyote and Fido.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sort of a little (too) late but I have been riding the last couple of weeks up until the snow this week. I rode hard out in glenwild on saturday and on thanksgiving we did a killer Park City loop. It was awesome, trail conditions possibly as good as I have ever ridden them. The few mud spots frozen also. Good traction despite some light snow cover... But all gone now, finally snowed a couple days ago.. Winter is here (finally)

Members who have read this thread: 0