Park City trail conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City trail conditions

Today's ride. Up Armstrong, midmountain past the Canyons to the Olympic park and down. Rideable. Most surfaces dry or tacky. Some, in the Canyons area a bit wet with patches of packed snow. Only a couple of spots where you'll leave tread impressions, but nothing that impacts the trail as far as leaving ruts.

I didn't do it
    Some mud and hard packed snow in a few spots on Corvair, along with 2 trees across the trail.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Yesterday the Flying Dog loop was great, and the rebuild on Ant Farm is excellent.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

Ambassador of Chub
    How are things looking after this last storm cycle? Still ride-able options down low?
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Got about an inch of snow from this last storm. South facing snow has melted. North facing roofs still covered. It was 17 degrees this morning, so the freeze melt cycle has started.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Got about an inch of snow from this last storm. South facing snow has melted. North facing roofs still covered. It was 17 degrees this morning, so the freeze melt cycle has started.
    Thx for the update. We got quite a bit more out of this latest storm up in Teton Valley. Looks like a week of really nice weather ahead, tho...
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Thx for the update. We got quite a bit more out of this latest storm up in Teton Valley. Looks like a week of really nice weather ahead, tho...
    Yeah, I keep a close eye on Grand Targhee. Looked like a good dusting. Def more than what we got (as usual!).
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-19-2017 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member
    As of 19 Oct, the backside of Glenwild (down to Cobblestone) is dry/tacky/no chance of damaging the trail.

Makes me wonder if all of Flying Dog is safe to ride.

mtbr member
    Makes me wonder if all of Flying Dog is safe to ride.
    Speaking of Flying Dog. What's the favorite way to do it? From 24-7 then clockwise around Flying Dog to Cobblestone and Glenwild? Or start from Glenwild and then CCW? Is the Preserve Connector worth doing? Lots of options. Just want to make the most of my ride.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Speaking of Flying Dog. What's the favorite way to do it? From 24-7 then clockwise around Flying Dog to Cobblestone and Glenwild? Or start from Glenwild and then CCW? Is the Preserve Connector worth doing? Lots of options. Just want to make the most of my ride.
    Are you trying to start a war?

I think a majority of people like to ride it counter clockwise. I prefer it clockwise. I think it's a bit more difficult counterclockwise and in that case, starting from the parking lot at Glenwild makes sense, as you aren't tired when you hit the long climb to the top. There is an 8.3 mile loop (just did it today, clockwise) and if you start on that, you get a nice downhill on the backside to Cobblestone. If you go counter clockwise on that loop, it's less climbing so you are fresher. Again, I get the sense that for most of the people who ride it to access Flying Dog CCW, they start the short loop CCW also.

I live in Jeremy, so I just start at my house and jump on it near the top of JM onto 24-7 and ride it clockwise bypassing the Preserve Connector. I like the gradual climb and I like the tight rocky turns on the down side. Then on the last bit going home, I'll hit Ant Farm or Dropout, back up and home via 24-7.

Ambassador of Chub
    I rode Flying Dog for the first time this summer - man, what a fun ride. We did the full 16-mile loop from Glenwild, counter-clockwise. It sure makes for a long, fun descent.

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    IMO the best way to do it is to ride up preserve connector/down the west side (so CCW) skipping the switchbacks on the east side entirely. It's quite fun in either direction, but CW the downhill portion of the trail is less flowy/twisty and more straight/switchback/straight/switchback simply due to the steepness of the hillside.

It's fun either way, really, though. Preserve connector is a worthwhile trail either up or down, and hardly anyone rides it so it's a nice less-crowded option on a weekend.

If you only have a little time, park up at the Daybreaker spur connector (or just ride up Sackett), then ride up to 24-7 and ride Preserve Connector/FD in whichever direction you like, then back down to your car. You get the best parts of the ride and it's quite easy to complete in under an hour even if you're not in ferocious shape.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Moose on loose and FD NOT ready.

Went up to Daybreaker spur off Sackett today. Fire department and DNR just finishing up. Moose trampled woman earlier on spur. That's all the DNR guy would say, but there's been a cow/calf up here for a month.

Rode clockwise from there. Jeremy side dry. As soon as you go over the top away from Jeremy it's too wet to ride (I turned around), though I ran into at least 15 mud covered riders coming that way CCW. If you ride the short loop, just go up that CCW, turn around and come back. If you come up from FD CCW, don't come down the swoopy downhill. It's already pretty rutted up from today where I turned around and I'm sure it's worse, higher. Maybe by Wednesday it'll be rideable.

Wildlife officials searching for moose after woman trampled on trail in Summit County | fox13now.com
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 10-22-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Moose on loose and FD NOT ready.

Went up to Daybreaker spur off Sackett today. Fire department and DNR just finishing up. Moose trampled woman earlier on spur. That's all the DNR guy would say, but there's been a cow/calf up here for a month.

Rode clockwise from there. Jeremy side dry. As soon as you go over the top away from Jeremy it's too wet to ride (I turned around), though I ran into at least 15 mud covered riders coming that way CCW. If you ride the short loop, just go up that CCW, turn around and come back. If you come up from FD CCW, don't come down the swoopy downhill. It's already pretty rutted up from today where I turned around and I'm sure it's worse, higher. Maybe by Wednesday it'll be rideable.

Wildlife officials searching for moose after woman trampled on trail in Summit County | fox13now.com
    Wow, hope she's ok. I've been around a lot of moose and never had a problem. Pretty good visibility on the spur trail most of the time, too - it would be hard to startle a moose. I'll be interested to hear more details when they come out.

It drives me nuts when people ride that trail muddy. If there's *even a hint* of mud lower down, the whole aspen grove/northwest facing side will be a mess. Turn around. Do we really want the whole trail to end up a pile of rocks/ruts and go-around braiding?

-Walt