Park city tour guide?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park city tour guide?

Hello,

I am in Park City Wednesday - Sunday visiting from the California Central Coast. Would love a tour guide as it is tough to figure out the best way to ride these trails with maps/info I've found. Last time I was here was maybe 6-7 years ago, did the wasatch crest/mid mountain loop from town, and some other stuff I can't remember but not a whole lot that really stuck with me. I have a pretty flexible schedule and am no XC-pro but am a decently fit rider. Looks like I lucked out with the rain last night, sounds like it has been a dry dry summer. Or if folks have some recommendations of some of the better trails and directions to ride them I'm happy to go explore.

Thanks,
    Drew

drew.a.perkins @ gmail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A tour guide would be best, but here's what I did on my last trip and it worked well. Buy a paper map from one of the bike shops ($5). Each morning look at the map and come up with a loose plan on where you want to explore. Install the Trail Forks app on your phone and download the Utah map to it. Then go ride. Trail Forks will always tell you exactly where you are and get you back on track, or help you come up with a plan B if you don't like what you're seeing.

I would definitely recommend the Wasatch Crest if you can fit it in. Climb Armstrong to Pinecone, and then ride the Crest over to the Canyons side. There are a few options for descending. I think I took Ambush to Holly's. Then come back on Rt 224.

You may want to check out Tidal Wave over on the Deer Valley side. All of the trails near there are directional (down) and most people ride the lift up. I've been told that the lifts are not running mid-week any longer, so you should be able to ride up anything at this point. But the way I did it was to take mid-mountain to either team big bear, boulder, or tour de suds. Then take the Flagstaff trail or Road to Ruby and ride through a big field that will lead you to Tidal Wave. An easier alternative to Tidal Wave is Holy Roller.

Another nice loop I did is this. From the PC side, climb either Armstrong or Jenni's up to mid-mountain. Head left on MM toward Deer Valley. Once you get to the Silver Lake area (bottom of Tidal Wave), you can continue to an extension of MM that feeds into a trail called Deer Crest. That was a nice flowy one. That will bring you down to the bottom. Take the road (Deer Valley Dr) back to the base of PC.

I would also recommend Flying Dog out in the Glen Wild area. You can park on Blue Bird Way off the Jeremy Ranch exit. Take jailbreak and work your way over to 24-7. Climb up and do the Flying Dog loop, then head back to your car the same way you went up.

Did I mention that Trail Forks is your friend? I can't tell you how many times it kept me on track. It is so much better than opening that big paper map every time. And there's no guessing; you know exactly where you are at all times. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Regardless of the app you use, if it accepts .gpx (GPS) files, you can get them from this site for all of Utah.

This is for Park City:
    Park City Area Bike Trails