Park City Technical trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City Technical trails

I may be coming out from San Diego and am looking to ride some technical trails, not so much interested in the long epics on this trip. On the mountain, are there any trails with steeps, drops, stunts, etc? I haven't spent much time searching on the web yet, but so far haven't found much. Any ideas? I will be staying in Park City and may or may not have transportation when I get there. I'm riding a big(ish) 7" travel bike, but am fine with pedaling.

Thanks!

cranktankerous Mainer
    Yeah I would also like to get an idea if there is anything on the technical side. Iíll be out in two weeks and although the trails seem super buff and fun, I think I also need something a little more challenging to play on. I found some stuff about Empire, but maybe that isnít there anymore? The more I keep searching, the more armor I keep taking out of my suitcase. Not looking for gnar DH runs, want some skinnies, teeters, rollers and mellow drops. Whatís out there? Deer Valley is the best bet right?

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    If you can see if you can hook with one of the locals and head to wolf mtn, it is an hour away and they cater to the freeride scene better than dv, and it is also cheaper by 8 bucks a day

mtbr member
    Search: JMH, WAFTA, or send a pm to Err

JMH and Err have both posted some cool techy, stunt, FR type trails in/around PC.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Most stuff is still up high and still snowed in. Glenwild is dry so you should be able to ride the Drop Out, Team Cut throat, and Ant Farm. I hope to do some scouting of one trail in the next week or so that may be rideable now but it's still iffy.

By late summer the Draper DH trail should be open an that will be the call for big bike blasting around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you want to do skinnies and teeters, don't bother with UT. Go to OR, WA or BC. That stuff came out of the NW for a reason - there's lots of trees out there. We do dirt, rocks, drops, dirt jumps and "gnar DH" pretty well, though. DV won't be open for some time. They usually open after the NMBS comes to town which will be June 28th weekend. Wolf Mtn and Sundance will (should) be open by your trip. If you can only bring one bike, make it a heavy duty trail bike or light FR bike.

Err, which trail are ya scoutin' - I may have scouted it today. . .

cranktankerous Mainer
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    If you want to do skinnies and teeters, don't bother with UT. Go to OR, WA or BC.
    oh man! I already brought my plane ticket ... wish I knew about this North Shore place sooner! Actually been to Whistler, been there done that, totally rad, but Park City has been on my list of places to visit for a long time. The trails look awesome and I can't wait to get away from wet thick forests and rooty trails. Plan on bringing the Heckler w/pike and doing the all the good xc lung barfer stuff, I was just wondering what else was out in PC other than the scenery & singletrack pictures most often seen. Plan to hook up with my buddy "chef Al" but by if chance I can't get the local tour, I at least would like to get some trail names so I can plan it out... and now I do, thanks guys!

...ok, elbow pads back in the suitcase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddski
    oh man! I already brought my plane ticket ... wish I knew about this North Shore place sooner! Actually been to Whistler, been there done that, totally rad, but Park City has been on my list of places to visit for a long time. The trails look awesome and I can't wait to get away from wet thick forests and rooty trails. Plan on bringing the Heckler w/pike and doing the all the good xc lung barfer stuff, I was just wondering what else was out in PC other than the scenery & singletrack pictures most often seen. Plan to hook up with my buddy "chef Al" but by if chance I can't get the local tour, I at least would like to get some trail names so I can plan it out... and now I do, thanks guys!

...ok, elbow pads back in the suitcase.
    Honestly, I think only about 40% of the PC trails will be ridable in 2 weeks. A near record snow year that came late season meant that the resorts made a ton of snow for all the runs and then ended up with so much natural snow on top of it. The 8000 foot trail, which is an awesome and major connector trail (and stuff higher) is still buried in snow on north facing slopes. There are some cool trails open, but the trails with that renown scenery will likely not be ready yet.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Most stuff is still up high and still snowed in. Glenwild is dry so you should be able to ride the Drop Out, Team Cut throat, and Ant Farm. I hope to do some scouting of one trail in the next week or so that may be rideable now but it's still iffy.

By late summer the Draper DH trail should be open an that will be the call for big bike blasting around here.
    Dewd, if yur going scouting where I'm guessing you are let me know. Didn't get home til late tonight so didn't get your message til just now and made the necessary adjustments, might give you a ring tomorrow for further details, I'm obviously waaaaay out of the loop.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

cranktankerous Mainer
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    Honestly, I think only about 40% of the PC trails will be ridable in 2 weeks. There are some cool trails open, but the trails with that renown scenery will likely not be ready yet.
    Yeah that's a total bummer, can't do much about the dates picked for the IMBA summit... oh well. Glad you guys had a good ski season tho.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    OP, sorry about the thread hijack.

But I'm also coming out from San Diego to Park City, however, I won't be there until July 19th. I'll be looking for more trailriding oriented stuff - I'll be on a 5.5 Spot. Definitely want to hit all the singletrack, but it would be nice to get some techy ups and downs in as well.

I'll be staying at Skier's Lodge on Norfolk Ave.

Members who have read this thread: 0