mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Park City Summer Trip

Planning a trip to Park City this summer, hoping to get in 4-5 solid days of riding. Any concerns going in early August - I know it will be warm, but assume all trails are open then?

Likely staying in PC, any must ride trails to make sure I check off. Mostly riding XC type rides, good with some longer days. I have ridden Flying Dog once before and it was great, hoping to go by there again, but anything else that is similar?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Mountain Trails Foundation - Map

Here's a good map of the area. All trails should be primo in early August, but keep in mind that the Tour of Utah will be in town I think the 5th and 6th of August. Kinda cool to watch some of it but it can snarl traffic in some areas.

IMO some of the XC trails in Deer valley are some of the best. Not ridden as much as the ones in Park City Ski Area. Moose Bones, Payroll, TG, Flagstaff Loop, Ontario Loop, Corvair are all fun trails in the DV area. The Wasatch Crest via Armstrong and Pinecone Ridge is a big, epic ride. You can come down in the Canyons or continue on to Mill Creek Canyon/Pipeline/Rattlesnake Gulch and end up in Salt Lake City and shuttle back to PC.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

Moderator Moderator
    This comes up a lot. My personal faves:
    -Flying Dog
    -Wasatch Crest and descend Crest Connector/Rob's/Collin's or CC/Canyons DH trails (lots of variations)
    -Armstrong/MM/John's/Sweeney's
    -Some sort of Round Valley loop (lots of variations) but will be hot there unless you go early or late.
    -Deer Valley DH park (fun on any bike, you don't need armor/fullface/redbull)
    -Mormon Pioneer/GWT/Avenues/Moose Hollow - if you're looking for something a little more remote/adventurous. Add in stuff north of Big Mtn. Pass if you like high alpine super steep stuff.

There is just a ton of good XC stuff everywhere, though. The DV stuff is all great. Lost Prospector, ditto. I'd steer clear of the Jenny's/Spiro nexus of doom at least on weekends, that area is just a crowded disaster zone unless you're there super early (and it's not that great anyway).

Have a blast!

-Walt