Park City riding or somewhere close....NOW?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Park City riding or somewhere close....NOW?

Heading to Park City this weekend (March 21st) on what was expected to be a weeklong snowboarding trip but with the conditions less than spectacular, I'm thinking about searching out other options to keep myself busy while the family pushes the slush around on the mountains.

Soooo, I know it's probably not normal for this time of year but are bike rentals available in town yet wit the lack of snow? I'll have my 4WD truck (and bike rack) so getting around shouldn't be an issue. Are there trails that are rideable in the vicinity, maybe a 30 minutes drive? How about over towards Ogden I can ride while the family is at Snowbasin?

Perpetual n00b
    If you ride in Ogden you are stuck with the BST, Antelope Island, or the Riverdale Parkway single track.

The BST Lewis Peak section (north of Ogden Canyon) is in good shape, as well as the BST Ben Lomond section from North Ogden Divide to Pleasant View. That would be my recommendation.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Frame Building Moderator
    PC is not dried out enough to ride mountain bikes, sorry. It is possible that some of the front side of Glenwild/24-7/Bob's Basin and sections of Round Valley will be ok, but it'll be hit and miss at best and probably better to just stay off the trails for now.

Go get some corn, there's still plenty of fun to be had even if it's not powder.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Corner canyon trails (in Draper) should be good this weekend. Tends to get really crowded on Saturdays since it is about the only good riding nearby that is currently open.

mtbr member
    Walt...how about that asphalt trail that runs all the way down to Kimball Junction? Is that covered in snow for XC skiing or do they make an effort to keep that clear? White Pine says they are renting road and hybrid bikes...I'm no road bike fan but I could ride a hybrid to get some miles in.

As for riding corn snow, an old dirt bike injury (broken femur and tore every ligament in my knee) means I last about 1/2 day on the groomers as my knee doesn't like the chattering snowboard (or skis). Plus I get bored with groomers and have no desire to pay almost $100 to ride groomers for 1/2 a day.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure that the trail you are talking about is indeed clear, not because of anyone's effort to make it clear, but because there literally is no snow along that area.... That said, I don't ride that trail and did not take particular notice last time I drove through there. I'm sure White Pine would know though if you want confirmation.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Walt...how about that asphalt trail that runs all the way down to Kimball Junction? Is that covered in snow for XC skiing or do they make an effort to keep that clear? White Pine says they are renting road and hybrid bikes...I'm no road bike fan but I could ride a hybrid to get some miles in.

As for riding corn snow, an old dirt bike injury (broken femur and tore every ligament in my knee) means I last about 1/2 day on the groomers as my knee doesn't like the chattering snowboard (or skis). Plus I get bored with groomers and have no desire to pay almost $100 to ride groomers for 1/2 a day.
    If you're talking about the partial paved/partial dirt/chip McLeod Creek trail the sections of it I've seen are clear and dry. Can't speak to the entirety of it, but the section around Willow Creek Park are good to go. I'd suspect the whole thing is too.

As a general statement any of the dirt in PC should be avoided. No matter where you go it wouldn't be long until you hit mud and had to turn back.

Most of the BST, Corner Canyon, probably Antelope Island, or Stansbury Park are all options in the area which should be ready to ride.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How is round valley looking?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rode the south side stuff at RV today (Matt's Flat, Practice Loop and Somewhere Elks) and they were bone dry! I dare say quite dusty even. I would guess that the other trails in the RV system are likely not ridable however.

The paved Quinns path has no snow whatsoever.

Frame Building Moderator
    Update: 24-7 is ridable from E. Canyon up to the Flying Dog intersection. I didn't venture further but the rest of 24-7 appeared to be snow/mud. Preserve connector is *probably* good to go up to the final road crossing/treed section but I didn't go up there. Might check it out today.

-Walt

mtbr member
    The trails in Heber are pretty dry right now. The front side of the Coyote loop is all rideable as well as the main trails in Dutch Hollow.

Frame Building Moderator
    I went up 24-7 again today. Dry to Flying Dog, then Preserve Connector is dry up until just before the first road crossing. You can do a reasonably fun out and back and not hurt the trail any, though MT still has a "closed" sign at the East Canyon trailhead.

The rest of 24-7 to Bob's Basin is mud/snow (visible snow from up on Preserve Connector) and Flying Dog is obviously not ready. But there is ~4 miles of decent singletrack dry to ride here on the north side of I80. I bet you could do something halfway fun on the south-facing parts of Glenwild too.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Rode the front side of Glenwilde today. Dry, except for a short section that is tacky and ride-able without causing damage.

Perpetual n00b
    We rode Dutch Hollow today. It was very dusty and bumpy. Needs ridden to buff it out.

mtbr member
    Went out on a "road" ride today and stumbled across the Spring Creek Trailhead and consequently, the Glenwild Trail so that work out well. As MSU Alum said above, it was 99.5% dry and ready to ride. I was surprised to run across to many riders today but I guess with limited options up here, it was to be expected. A few observations from todays MTB portion of the ride...I haven't seen such a high percentage of 29er riders anywhere else I've ridden, almost everybody looked very fit overall, a lot of female riders and I've never been anywhere where pretty much everybody actually yielded to me as I was climbing uphill. I know that's "the code" but you still rarely see it and to be honest, people were pulling over when there was plenty of room to just ride by.

mtbr member
    ^^^
    Agreed.
    I did go over to Bob's Basin today. Went on the uphill route (The Graduate to Fink Again) which is in good shape with some wet areas on the Graduate section (here's the map) Mountain Trails Foundation - Map Crazy 8 is in good shape. Riding 24-7 toward The Drpout was pretty wet at the corner, enough so that I walked some of it, though it looks like people are riding it. Got to the Dropout and it was closed. Walked down much of it to spare it and do a quick recon...it's too wet to ride, IMO, but clearly, people are riding it anyway. I'd give it some more time, though. That's a fairly delicate section and the trail maintenance is tough on it. I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so much of this info will become OBE!

Frame Building Moderator
    I am guessing we will be shut down for another week if the precip (cross your fingers - we need the water) shows up like it's supposed to. Personally I'm hoping it dumps, because fires aren't cool and with the snowpack at Thayne's at ~60%, things are looking grim for fire season.

I would bet we'll be riding all the lower elevation stuff in 2-3 weeks, though.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I'm sure you're right Walt. If I wasn't locked in up here in Park City (kids fly out on Friday & Saturday), I'd bail out and head for Gooseberry with the Fat Tire Festival next weekend

We'll make the best of it while we're here in PC (as I watch the rain outside). We'll do some bowling, catch a movie or two and visit the indoor gun range too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Trailside Mountain Bike Park is prime-time right now. From last night's post-work sesh - PC MTB Ride of the Week : Trailside Mountain Bike Park

Perpetual n00b
    Round valley still wet on the north side?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Round valley still wet on the north side?
    Yes... pretty much all north facing stuff in Park City is still muddy.

Frame Building Moderator
    Moose Hollow/Avenues is dry to the "dead end" for those folks who live in Jeremy or want to wander over.

-Walt

mtbr member
    ^^ That's amazing, this time of year. They opened Dropout in Bob's Basin and much of Round Valley is now rideable, according to a friend.

Frame Building Moderator
    Amazing, yes. Scary, also yes. We're already looking at breathing smoke all summer as CA burns... hopefully we will get lucky and not have too many fires here in UT.

-Walt

Picture Unrelated
    Check out the link from this page Trail Conditions | Snyderville Basin Special Recreation District

It's usually pretty up-to-date this time of year and will tell you what's [responsibly] good-to-go.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Park City Ride of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    ^^ That's amazing, this time of year. They opened Dropout in Bob's Basin and much of Round Valley is now rideable, according to a friend.
    Round Valley, aside from the HWY 40 facing stuff ie; Rusty Shovel, is riding incredible right now. Trail report from last night's ride - http://parkcitymountainbike.com/pc-m...-rambler-loop/