mtbr member

Park City riding Aug vs Labor Day vs Late September?

We went to Park City this past July and liked it so much that we bought a timeshare week there. We were planning on going back next in 2020 but are now thinking 2019...

The way the timeshare works:
    If we go in Aug, we can stay 7-8 nights.
    If we go Labor Day week, we can stay 8 nights.
    If we check in on Sept 21, we can stay 12 nights and I can link this to a conference I need to attend in Tahoe in early Oct.

Can anyone here help me understand how riding conditions will be at those various times? It will be me and my non riding husband, so most days I ride mornings and then we hang out the rest of the day and do whatever. Im wondering about temps, chance of rain/snow, trail conditions (are they really chewed up late in the season?), lift schedule (but I only used the lifts once when we were there in July). I prefer cool temps when riding, temps in the 50s to 70s. It was hot for me when we were there in July this year but obviously I still enjoyed it.

I would definitely want to ride up to the Wasatch Crest trail, is late Sept too late to ride up there?

Also, what is fall like in town? Dead, or is there some stuff going on still?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    August is hot and dry. The trails are usually dusty.
    Labor Day should be beautiful and cooler. That's about when the maples start to turn red.
    Late September is generally even nicer, with more color changes and cooler weather. By then Deer Valley lifts have shut down. The Crest should be good to ride during all of those periods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    August is hot and dry. The trails are usually dusty.
    Labor Day should be beautiful and cooler. That's about when the maples start to turn red.
    Late September is generally even nicer, with more color changes and cooler weather. By then Deer Valley lifts have shut down. The Crest should be good to ride during all of those periods.
    Thanks.

What would my chances be of riding up to Wasatch Crest Trail from Park City Mtn and then riding Wasatch Crest to the Canyons in late Sept? I need to be in Tahoe Oct 3, so Im thinking of maybe booking Park City Sept 25-Oct 3, then saving the rest of my timeshare usage for something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
    Thanks.

What would my chances be of riding up to Wasatch Crest Trail from Park City Mtn and then riding Wasatch Crest to the Canyons in late Sept? I need to be in Tahoe Oct 3, so Im thinking of maybe booking Park City Sept 25-Oct 3, then saving the rest of my timeshare usage for something else.
    Chances of success approach 100%. It would be extremely unlikely, though not impossible that wet conditions would be a problem then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Chances of success approach 100%. It would be extremely unlikely, though not impossible that wet conditions would be a problem then.
    We got shut down right about the first week of October this year, but it is somewhat unusual to get snow that early that sticks.

I also agree, the later the better with a small risk of weather shutting you down. Labor day would be playing it safer.

Moderator Moderator
    Labor Day's advantage is that Miner's day is super fun (if you're into small-town parades and mucking/drilling, anyway) and there are events still going on - plus lifts will still be spinning.

But man, if you get 12 days in late September, that's pretty kickass for riding. If you don't think DH will get bored being here that long, I'd do that.

August is fine but it'll be hot/dusty.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thanks yall.

I booked a week checking in Sept 26. That leaves me enough points to come back again next year for a week in a 2BR condo, or 11 nights in a 1BR condo. It turns out these late Sept dates are a huge bargain. Hopefully well get to see some great fall colors, we get almost none of that here in SoCal.

Looking forward to it.

Moderator Moderator
    The period between the start of school and the start of ski season is always going to be cheap - you have to remember that there are a metric ton of hotel rooms/condos/rentals for the peak ski season that mostly sit empty in the spring and fall. People like fall colors, but they're not going to pull their kids out of school for a trip to PC just to do that.

So the weather is great, and there are no crowds. Lots of restaurants are closed and the trails can be a bit beat up, but c'est la vie. IMO fall is the best time to come to PC.

-Walt