chupicocconut

Park City Riding

I live in NorCal but I am planning a trip to Moab the first or second week of June. Planned on hitting something in Park City on the way home.... Can any locals give me any insight on what is the best thing to ride in Park City about that time of year would be? Probably only have one day in the area

Moderator Moderator
    "Best" what? XC/epic? Freeride/Jump trails? Rocky gnar DH? Views?

If you give us some idea what you're into, we can help better. FWIW I doubt the lifts will be spinning anywhere yet but you never know. If this snow year keeps going the way it has been, upper elevation stuff will mostly still be snowed in. But there will certainly be dry fun riding by mid June.

-Walt

chupicocconut
    Hey Walt, sorry yeah I guess I should have clarified that. I have a group of eight, we are all pretty experienced riders. Everyone is riding 140 - 160 millimeter trail bikes. We are definitely not cross country guys but it doesn't have to be all downhill either. Love flow, love technical-rocky terrain, love steeps. Would appreciate any advice, thank you.

mtbr member
    Might be best to come back and ask this question while you're in Moab but as another California resident, I can tell you I've literally never had a bad day of riding in Park City. About the only trail that I think it over-rated in the Mid Mountain Trail that runs ACROSS all (3) of the resorts there.

I actually really like the Flying Dog area. Cool climbing with great views, then you get some twisty, some flowy singletrack before heading back down to the car.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Moderator Moderator
    If you are bringing 6+" trail bikes and want rocky/steep/advanced, PC has only limited options. - but you should have gotten quite a bit of that in Moab, so maybe you'll be in the mood for some more mellow stuff.

Both the Canyons (weird/slow/annoying lift setup but good trails) and Deer Valley (great lift, great trails) will have stuff that fitys the bill. Decent chance they are still snowed in when you want to ride, decent chance they're open. Check back in in early June.

Really the best stuff in PC is the XC (and we're talking really smooth mostly). Flying Dog area, Wasatch Crest (no go for sure in June, sorry), the UOP/Rob's/Collins network, Round Valley/Lost Prospector, etc, etc, etc. You will not run out of trails to ride, but you should expect long smooth and twisty rather than steep or rocky or gnar. There are a couple of flow/jump trail areas (Trailside Park, Road to Arcylon) but nothing worth making a trip for.

-Walt

chupicocconut
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Might be best to come back and ask this question while you're in Moab but as another California resident, I can tell you I've literally never had a bad day of riding in Park City. About the only trail that I think it over-rated in the Mid Mountain Trail that runs ACROSS all (3) of the resorts there.

I actually really like the Flying Dog area. Cool climbing with great views, then you get some twisty, some flowy singletrack before heading back down to the car.
    Tomorrow is the day, what do you suggest to ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangrip9 View Post
    Tomorrow is the day, what do you suggest to ride?
    Flying Dog, Sweeney's, John's, Jenny's, lower Deer Valley area are all dry. I'm told Armstrong to mid-mountain is dry. It looks like Mid-mountain is hit or miss. I'm going to check out Rob's-Colin's tomorrow (I'm guessing it's dry to Mid-mountain...see a trend?) and Pinebrook is dry. Above 8500 feet is iffy.
    1. Start with Flying Dog. Most people ride it counter clockwise. Be aware of pedestrians everywhere and you can combine it with Bob's Basin. Here are the trailhead locations: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...-XjKf-YRA&z=14

chupicocconut
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Flying Dog, Sweeney's, John's, Jenny's, lower Deer Valley area are all dry. I'm told Armstrong to mid-mountain is dry. It looks like Mid-mountain is hit or miss. I'm going to check out Rob's-Colin's tomorrow (I'm guessing it's dry to Mid-mountain...see a trend?) and Pinebrook is dry. Above 8500 feet is iffy.
    1. Start with Flying Dog. Most people ride it counter clockwise. Be aware of pedestrians everywhere and you can combine it with Bob's Basin. Here are the trailhead locations: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...-XjKf-YRA&z=14
    Awesome, thank you for the info. Any of the stuff you're referring to shuttlelable? Is there a bike shop you can suggest to go to for info and maps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangrip9 View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the info. Any of the stuff you're referring to shuttlelable? Is there a bike shop you can suggest to go to for info and maps?
    I don't think anything has enough vertical or distance to warrant a shuttle at this point. Flying Dog is about 16 miles (not including circuits on Bob's Basin) and maybe 2000 feet of total vert. That would be your longest sustained ride with the snow up higher. I haven't been on the Mid-Mountain, but if you look at the Deer Valley webcams you can see at Empire it's pretty wet: Deer Valley Snow Report and Ski Conditions - Park City, Utah

All of Round Valley is also dry.

Here is a site that has trail info: Summer Trails
    Most shops have the paper version.

White Pine Touring is a good shop. Out at the junction off of I-80 in Redstone is Storm Cycles which rents Pivots.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 06-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    There is no gravity or shuttle riding dried out yet, unless you want to shuttle Iron Bill over at UOP (probably not worth it to most folks, but you never know). Sorry. Bring your XC bike, enjoy!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Coyote Loop is money right now, but that's XC. I rode it yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Coyote Loop is money right now, but that's XC. I rode it yesterday.
    Are you talking about in Heber?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yes, Coyote in Heber.

All the mid elevation stuff appears to be GTG.

Hell Track
    I just returned from my Utah trip. Flying dog and Round Valley were super fun IMO. But I love flowy fast single track and I'm more of a XC kind of rider. You definitely don't need a big bike at those spots. We actually left a day early and headed down to the Zion area since all of the High Altitude still had quite a bit of snow. I've gotta do a late summer trip there. I hope you find the ride you're looking for

mtbr member
    I'll be in PC June 9-14 for some tuneup riding before my Bellingham-Squamish-Whistler trip. Rented a condo in Canyons.

I love flying Dog but I'm not sure I did Bob's Basin. I've ridden some of the trails listed above but a few don't seem familiar.

I'll bring my SB4.5 and my SB5.5
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

Long Live the Gorn!
    Hey Folks

I will be heading to PC in a week or two from SoCal, unfortunately travel complications may not allow me to bring my bike. (bummer)

Any recommendations on where to rent a "Trail Bike" in Park City area.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bvader; 06-18-2017 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    The guys at Jans or White Pine Touring are always great.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    I'll be in PC June 9-14 for some tuneup riding before my Bellingham-Squamish-Whistler trip. Rented a condo in Canyons.

I love flying Dog but I'm not sure I did Bob's Basin. I've ridden some of the trails listed above but a few don't seem familiar.

I'll bring my SB4.5 and my SB5.5
    If your itinerary takes you through Seattle you should check out Tiger Mountain and to a lesser extent Tokul. There's been a big explosion of trail building in the area lately.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I'll just jump in here instead of starting a new thread. I'm meeting some friends in Park City this weekend, and will have 3 days of riding. We prefer techy stuff (mostly descents), and have 6"ish bikes.

We plan to shuttle Wasatch Crest, and a day each at Canyons and Deer Valley. Any suggestions for changes, or does that sound pretty good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Moderator Moderator
    Crest is not techy descending, at all, except for about 500 feet of the spine and then (if you choose to do it) descending through the Canyons bike park to finish. It's straight XC riding, you could do 99% of it quite comfortably on a CX bike.

Actually, scratch that, if you could keep from flatting, you could ride the spine just fine on a CX bike too. 100% cyclocross bike friendly!

If you want technical descents, just ride at DV. That is really your best bet, and even there the "double black" trails are IMO barely worthy of a 6" bike.

Wasatch back is XC heaven, but there's nothing much that's technical.

-Walt