Park City rideable? (Specifically Mid Mountain Trail?)- Mtbr.com

Mar 2006

Park City rideable? (Specifically Mid Mountain Trail?)

We're just passing through on the way to ID, and would like to spend a day or two riding Park City. Has anyone ridden there recently? Conditions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Rode mid mountain 2 weeks ago and it was in great shape. Heading that way tomorrow for some more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

www.utahmountainbiking.com

Forums -> Trail Conditions

There is usually more discussion on those boards regarding trail conditions than here :-)

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Most everything is rideable....rode pinebrook to Mid-Mountain, down Rob's to Colin's....everything was soooooooo buff and I passed about 5 people on Mid Mountain. I haven't ridden too much in town but as far as I hear it's dry dry dry! Have fun!

LCD
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mid-mountain and below is all good. Not sure about higher up (ridge) but I bet it's either all clear or at worst has a couple of little snow drifts to negotiate.

Bored Carp
    I know a couple of people rode the crest last week - reports were pretty good. I think I am going to try an SLC to PC ride this weekend.

I rode mid-mtn a couple of weeks ago - trails were great, but there were a fair number of trees down. Not sure if those have been cleared yet. It was dry up to Shadow Lake.

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrjm
    Most everything is rideable....rode pinebrook to Mid-Mountain, down Rob's to Colin's....everything was soooooooo buff and I passed about 5 people on Mid Mountain. I haven't ridden too much in town but as far as I hear it's dry dry dry! Have fun!
    Can you access Mid-Mountain from the Pinebrook area?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Before the last big storm, Crest had a huge section of STEEP and DEEP snow north of the desolation lake turn off/spine and long before you get down to the T intersection with the ridge connector over to mid Mt. One section was too steep to walk on the snow so the only option was a new trail under it that was getting lots of use. At least this spot is so steep that once the snow melts, no one in there right mind will use it and it has a chance at growing back. I should probably have turned around but the group chose to push on and just tread as lightly as possible. Everyone else we met on the trail thought we were idiots for even caring. They were more interested in seeing if they could ride through the mud/snow without putting a foot down. It really bummed me out to see that from other mountain bikers. Around this bad section there was also a fair bit of mud and signs that quite a few people were fine with putting huge ruts in. A bit of a bummer to see for sure

The section between the spine and puke hill was 99% ridable with just a few spots where you could carefully walk through the snow. Unfortunately, lots of people were just riding around the snow and creating 50 new trails that will take years for the vegetation to grow back in, if it ever does with continued traffic. They got a lot of new snow out of the storm, so I stayed off of it last week and will probably give it another look in about a week. Guardsman to mill D can probably be done without trail damage if you are careful, although I heard people beat on it pretty bad over the weekend. I don't think people realize that this stuff doesn't grow back in a few months. It takes years at high elevation. Also, the soil is a type that holds ruts through the summer if they get put in and then dry. The trails here just aren't armored well enough to take it.

BTW - Yes Pinebrook trails connect to Midmountain through the Hunters trail. At least some of it is on the PC trail map.

mtbr member
    yes - you can get to mid-mtn. from pinebrook, but unless you're very familiar with the area (and prefer rougher less-traveled trails) I'd suggest going up Spiro and across to Robs/Collins & down.

dcb
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks guys. I actually found the way to mid-mountain from pinebrook last night. I live in Pinebrook, but I just moved in a couple of months ago so I'm still learning my way around here.

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb
    Can you access Mid-Mountain from the Pinebrook area?

Sorry for the late post but as others said, yeah you can get there but it's not mapped...well, to the general public. The trails are maintained by the Pinebrooke Home Owners Assoc. and if you look at the Mt. Trails map you won't find them. I googled them once and found something but it was a shite bitmap file that was essentially worthless. I live right near the trail and kind of found it by coming from the other direction ( The Canyons ). Great riding and there's NEVER a crowd....plus, if you come from the other direction going TO pinebrook you can always have a few beers at O'shucks. I recomend parking at the Albertsons and going up Gorgoza to the Pinebrook Perimeter up to Mid. My GPS is being serviced but when I get it back I'll map it out and post the data for you.
    Last edited by cyrjm; 06-27-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1